Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH PREVIEW: Charlton Athletic vs Barnsley | Saturday 6th April 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off

Charlton Athletic vs Barnsley
Saturday 6th April 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Benjamin Speedie

Introduction
Saturday at the Valley will see the Addicks playing the second of a triple header of games in SE7 - Easter Monday saw us being treated to one of the drabbest games of the season, as Charlton limp ever closer towards the finishing line, last time out recording a 0-0 with Play-Off chasing Stevenage... This Saturday will see another side visiting South East London with similar ambitions to that of our last opponents

The Opposition
Name: Barnsley (5th) - Manager: Neill Collins
Ground: Oakwell
Previous League Result: Burton 1-3 Barnsley

Visiting the Valley this Saturday are Barnsley, whose hopes of finishing in the top two hang by the faintest of threads.

The Tykes sit eight points behind Derby County in second place, albeit with two games in hand - However games are fast running out for a number of sides if they want to make improvements on their league placement come the end of April, whether that be automatic promotion, Play-Offs, or avoid the cold touch of relegation... Like I said in my Match Preview for this reverse fixture; Barnsley are one of those teams this season, who seem to have gone about their business very quietly

In terms of their form, and overall performance in the League this season, well only Portsmouth have lost fewer games than the Tykes, with our opponents tomorrow having lost a total of eight games - Their issue has been draws, which we ourselves can relate... that and keeping the ball out of the net, despite their ability to ground out a result, only Oxford, Northampton and Wigan have conceded more than them in the whole of the top half of the table.

Recent results show too that Barnsley can be hurt, and is a sign their hopes of the top two are probably unrealistic, they've won just three games since the beginning of March, with home draws against Bolton and Cheltenham, and defeats coming against Lincoln and Cambridge... Unfortunately its on the road they're strongest, with just the one defeat all season!!

Charlton Team News
Nathan Jones was absent from the weekly Press Conference yesterday whilst dealing with a family matter, however there are no indications that he'll be missing from the touchline this coming Saturday - Paul Hart stepped in for those media duties, and confirmed that they're cautiously possible that we'll see Kayne Ramsay, Lloyd Jones and Connor Wickham, however all three are on a a strict regime, so cant imagine all three being thrown back in at the same time.

Elsewhere and Karoy Anderson was rested for the visit of Stevenage on Saturday, with Freddie Ladapo starting in his stead... Fans continue to be less than impressed with the Ipswich loanee, so we'll hopefully see the rested youngster back amongst starting line up, which should remain largely unchanged from Mondays encounter.

Isted
Edmonds-Green - Hector - Thomas
Watson - Dobson - Coventry - Small
Anderson
May - Kanu

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer - Ness - Edun - Campbell - LuaLua - Aneke - Bakinson

Comments

• Options
    COYR 
  • Options
    Barnsley have the best away record in the EFL so I'm not too optimistic. I'm going for 1-1 draw - Chuks to score an equaliser 
  • Options
    As usual, haven't a scoobie!   Form tells us T'Barnsley, but we love a draw.

1-1
  • Options
    Unchanged starting ten surely?
  • Options
    I have no idea about tmrw - at least it will be sunny and warm !!!
  • Options
    What with this "lucky to get a draw" stuff...come on we're gonna win this one, might be close 2-1...but another top 6 side we will sweep aside...👍🍺
  • Options
    Isn’t it supposed to be very windy?  If so, will have to keep it on the deck and play our slick passing game,
    Forecast has toned down the wind quite a bit - as for slick passing game 🤦🏻
  • Options
    Isn’t it supposed to be very windy?  If so, will have to keep it on the deck and play our slick passing game,
    Okay, if there’s hardly any wind, we can play hoof ball to our hearts’ content.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Desmonds
  • Options
    Another game closer to the end of the season.

That's all that matters for me.
  • Options
    Unchanged starting ten surely?
    Sneaky new tactic I've convinced Nathan to employ
  • Options
    People need to remember that apart from the first few months , the managers since then have been working with someone else’s squad .. 

Barnsley are far better away then they are at home, so this is a tough game another team needing to win to get that top 6 spot … but we are owed against these after the shocking mistake from the referee up there .. think it’s another cert drawer to be honest .
  • Options
    Barnsley won't be parking the proverbial bus, which I think should mean we get a much better game of football than Monday's drab affair. It would be great to finally get the win we need to get us to safety, but I think this will be a tough one. Think it will probably be another draw, but not a bore draw this time - 2-2 (Alfie back on scoring form).

looks as though I need to remember my sunglasses and cap with a sunny afternoon forecast.
  • Options
    Okay, if there’s hardly any wind, we can play hoof ball to our hearts’ content.
    Can we turn up early and rough up the pitch?
  • Options

The trouble with putting your foot through the ball is that it gets addictive. And you forget how to play.
    I'm relieved by the results it has brought, but its horrible football.
    The attacking flair of the early MA days with CBT etc are gone, we have not shown any creativity and the goals that have been scored reduced.Relying on Alfie to create his own chances. 
    Defence has improved marginally, letting 1 goal a game instead of 2, but tomorrow Barnsley's away record is daunting.
    Realistically- we lose
    Optimistically- we draw.
  • Options

The trouble with putting your foot through the ball is that it gets addictive. And you forget how to play.
    I'm relieved by the results it has brought, but its horrible football.
    The attacking flair of the early MA days with CBT etc are gone, we have not shown any creativity and the goals that have been scored reduced.Relying on Alfie to create his own chances. 
    Defence has improved marginally, letting 1 goal a game instead of 2, but tomorrow Barnsley's away record is daunting.
    Realistically- we lose
    Optimistically- we draw.
    Happy Friday! 
  • Options
    Can’t wait for the match and season to end 
    draw at best 
    Limited flair and ability for The Addicks but they’ll run around and try hard , can someone ping a shot on goal or wll it be another 20 scuffs, duffs and muffs by this bunch of bluffs for footballers 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 5
    Can’t keep playing like we have in our last few games and not get a loss at some point. Charlton 1 - Barnsley 2. Barnsley are a good team on the road.
  • Options
    Charlton: Unbeaten in 10 but just the one home league win from their last 10 at the Valley

Barnsley: Unbeaten in their last 11 away league games (7 wins & 4 draws) 
  • Options
    Barnsley have sold a shade under 850 tickets for tomorrow so I imagine they'll have about 1000 for the game, not bad numbers considering they only have an outside chance of automatic promotion.
  • Options
    edited April 5
    My long lasting memory of playing Barnsley at home was the 91/92 season at Upton Park .

Remember walking behind the goal just before kick off and it seemed like  a decent filled end. I then turned around and found that apart from the couple of hundred Barnsley fans at the other end the rest of the ground was virtually empty.
     Pardew Pen for Charlton. Redfearn Pen for Barnsley.

I can see another one one .
  • Options
    Draw highly likely but let's cross everything for the excitement of a 1-0 win.
  • Options
    I want to see Coventry, Bakinson and Anderson from the start. 
  • Options
    I want to see Coventry, Bakinson and Camara from the start.
  • Options
    Not sure I can face it. 
  • Options
    I'm getting cheesed off keep predicting draws AND usually being right .. sooooo .. this one could genuinely produce any result, two good teams going at it .. Barnsley have more to play for, they'll be keen to keep their play off spot as the season draws towards its end .. given the Tykes have more incentive than us, I am going for a VERY narrow away win, thus bringing our unbeaten trot to a halt .. having said all this, a win for us or an exciting draw would not surprise at all 
  • Options
    I'm getting cheesed off keep predicting draws AND usually being right .. sooooo .. this one could genuinely produce any result, two good teams going at it .. Barnsley have more to play for, they'll be keen to keep their play off spot as the season draws towards its end .. given the Tykes have more incentive than us, I am going for a VERY narrow away win, thus bringing our unbeaten trot to a halt .. having said all this, a win for us or an exciting draw would not surprise at all 
    F*** me, this is the first time the eternal optimist has predicted a Charlton defeat :o. I hope you're feeling alright mate :)