Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH PREVIEW: Cambridge United vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 13th April 2024 - 3pm KO

Cambridge United vs Charlton Athletic
Sssaturday 13th April 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Darren Drysdale

Introduction
Charlton fans, get those party poppers ready, because we're finally getting to the penultimate stages of what has been a season that shouldn't even be consigned to the Charlton History Books... Like the Ark of the Covenant it should be locked in a big wooden box, and stored in the deepest, darkest corners of CharltonLife Towers along with Cory Gibbs (He's got to be somewhere) and Lloyd Jones - This weekend we make the trip to Cambridge, for what is the penultimate away day, in the 2023/24 season.

The Opposition
Name: Cambridge United | Manager: Garry Monk
Ground: Abbey Ssstadium
Previous League Result: Blackpool 1-0 Cambridge Utd

I guess it could be considered good practice when you're faced with the prospect of relegation, by that I mean if all others attempts to avoid League Two fail, then introducing religion as a factor at Cambridge United might be the next best thing - Unfortunately there were no Reverends, no Priests available at this time of the year, so our opponents had to get a Monk in at the Abbey instead... Yes... Yes I did just lead with that

But on a serious note, it was with some surprise not just to see Neil Harris departing Cambridgeshire, on what has to be the quickest upward trajectory for a sacked League Two Manager - His replacement was Garry Monk, who has surely been taken out of storage somewhere having not been a Football Manager since November 2020... The one time highly rated Swansea Manager now has one simple task... Keep the U's in League One... and he's set about it in mixed fashion, they've won twice (at Barnsley, and against Wigan), whilst have lost three times, including back to back games against Lincoln and Reading, resulting in a combined 10-goals conceded, and none scored.

In terms of the Player front and... wait... Is that a School bell I hear ringing in the background? - Must explain the absence of Striker: Lyle Taylor who has slithered out of an encounter with his old friends this weekend - No bother, there will be a positive Charlton reunion tomorrow, with plenty in the Cambridge ranks; Jordan Cousins should line up against his old Employer, sadly popular Defender: Michael Morrison should be absent with a knee problem - However it is Gassan Ahadme who'll be the dangerman for the opposition, having scored ten times this season, with two of those coming late on to secure a 2-2 draw at the Valley, back in December.

Charlton Team News
We're slowly beginning to see which players are being favoured by Nathan Jones ahead of what'll be another rebuilding phase in South East London.

In Defence, we're seeing the likes of Gillesphey and Edmonds-Green rotated, whilst Michael Hector and Terrell Thomas are being given the opportunity to try and earn Contract extensions, elsewhere at the back, and its likely we'll see Kayne Ramsay from the start at Right-Back, what with Tennai Watson struggling with injury during Tuesdays clash with Wigan Athletic - Further up the pitch, and I cant see Karoy Anderson or Daniel Kanu being dropped, given their overall efforts since the change in Management

Tyreece Campbell is another Academy prospect who appears to be showing signs of regaining his old confidence - However he'll no doubt have to deal with a cameo at best, that is unless we see a complete change in approach, with Kazenga LuaLua also opted from the start, with Charlton employing two wingers and a single target man, but that's very unlikely.

Isted
Hector - Thomas - Gillesphey
Ramsay - Dobson - Coventry - Small
Anderson
May - Kanu

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer - Edmonds-Green - Campbell - LuaLua - Bakinson - Aneke - Wickham

Comments

• Options
    I think REG will play instead of Gillesphey, with Thomas on the left of the centre backs. We don't have a lot of alternative in the nine/ten slot (Anderson and Kanu are looking tired) unless we play Ladapo (Wickham and Aneke cannot start...) and push May back. That is unless we try Campbell, May and Lua Lua as a front three? Jones said he probably won't try too many things out of respect to others, so I think we'll see our normal shape again. COYA!
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    I think REG will play instead of Gillesphey, with Thomas on the left of the centre backs. We don't have a lot of alternative in the nine/ten slot (Anderson and Kanu are looking tired) unless we play Ladapo (Wickham and Aneke cannot start...) and push May back. That is unless we try Campbell, May and Lua Lua as a front three? Jones said he probably won't try too many things out of respect to others, so I think we'll see our normal shape again. COYA!
    I agree with you regarding Karoy and Daniel - I know Anderson has had a match or two on the bench recently but it's his first full season in the senior side. Kanu definitely looked leggy on Tuesday evening although that didn't stop him trying to run down everything.

I'd be happy to drop Alfie back to a marauding, free-roaming 10/centre-half-forward, let him drag defenders around the pitch and if they don't want to track him he can cause plenty of damage from outside the box.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    I was going to put REG in Defence when I started to type out my team prediction

However I've mainly put him on the bench as Ramsay doesn't seem quite there yet with his 90-minute match fitness... So wont be surprised if he's held in reserve to replace Kayne at some stage - Nothing to stop him starting though, and moving over there.
  • Options
    Isn’t this the game that Taylor & Bonne send us down …. 1-2 COYR 
  • Options
    COYR 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 12
    ozaddick said:
    Oh and Lyle Taylor and  Bonne can feck right off too. ;)
    Taylors already finished his season in his usual fashion, slithering off three games short, leaving his mates to battle it out, sound familiar...
    Bonne, don't know, but he won't cause us any problems anyway...🙄
  • Options
    edited April 12

I have performed an urinalysis from a fresh personal sample this morning, the Jou Jou looks good.  Will be checking the ley lines around the
    Cledara Abbey Stadium early doors tomorrow, before consulting with my Spirit Guide Running Bear by 11am...

I don't know,  1-1 ?
  • Options

• Options
    I think Kanu needs a rest, but with Chucks and Wickham not able to start what option do we have. I wouldnt have Ladapo starting at this point now we are safe and he isnt going to be here next year. So i guess Kanu has to start. Fitness wise a start might be too far for Ramsay given he has played 2 60 mins in the last week. Other than that the team picks itself.

May Kanu
    Anderson
    Small Dobbo Cov REG
    Gillesphey Hec Thomas
    Istead

AMB, Jones Ramsay, Bakinson, Campbell, Aneke, Wickham

Hope Cousins and Morro get a decent reception if they play.
  • Options
    edited April 12
    I think Kanu needs a rest, but with Chucks and Wickham not able to start what option do we have. I wouldnt have Ladapo starting at this point now we are safe and he isnt going to be here next year. So i guess Kanu has to start. Fitness wise a start might be too far for Ramsay given he has played 2 60 mins in the last week. Other than that the team picks itself.

May Kanu
    Anderson
    Small Dobbo Cov REG
    Gillesphey Hec Thomas
    Istead

Two Goalkeepers, and one Isted the lone Striker (David James style)... Not sure how thats going to work out ;)
  • Options
    The team more or less picks itself at the moment, so I think the predicted line-up looks right. I can't see us losing, but not sure we have enough quality to win it. Cambridge still need points and will be battling hard. Predicting another 2-2.

Good luck to the boys and all those travelling to Cambridge. Personally, I am off to park View Road tomorrow.
  • Options
    Just checked our tickets.
    My son and me ordered two each separately and obviously the seats are not together.
    They all seem to have seat numbers on but it also says unreserved seating.
    Not sure it's sit where you like or in the seat numbers on the tickets.
    Anyone know what the situation is?
  • Options
    Just checked our tickets.
    My son and me ordered two each separately and obviously the seats are not together.
    They all seem to have seat numbers on but it also says unreserved seating.
    Not sure it's sit where you like or in the seat numbers on the tickets.
    Anyone know what the situation is?
    it was sit where you like last season and I'm pretty sure it will be the same this season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ozaddick said:
    Thanks to @paulsturgess I'll be at the game. Cheers mate. 

Didn't expect to see Charlton again this season but a unexpected family matter had me scrambling home here on Monday. 

And so as of Saturday evening I'll of watched only 5 games this last calender year, under 3 different managers,  that's just mental. I liked Dean, felt nothing for apples, I'm excited with the potential of our journey with NJ. 

Aside from everything else, I'm really looking forward to experiencing the change in energy within the fans. For those of us who live overseas, we watch every video and clip the club release, we watch all your YouTube vids with envy, not being able to feel the passion so clearly on display now, seeing the belief rise again within us under NJ and the way we play the game now. 

I'll be full of voice tomorrow, a release of pent up emotion for my team, after a difficult few days. 

I can t wait!! COYR'S!!! 

No we don't, speak for your self, shit season, crap Games 
  • Options
    Well at least Taylor will not send us down as originally feared and I doubt Bonne will get a contract with Cambridge next season. Just three to go, woohoo. Another draw, 1-1.
  • Options
    Shame about the ref .. another hopeless individual 
  • Options
    CUFC 4 CAFC 5.
  • Options
    ozaddick said:
    Oh and Lyle Taylor and  Bonne can feck right off too. ;)
    Taylors already finished his season in his usual fashion, slithering off three games short, leaving his mates to battle it out, sound familiar...
    Bonne, don't know, but he won't cause us any problems anyway...🙄 .
  • Options
    edited April 12
    ozaddick said:
    Thanks to @paulsturgess I'll be at the game. Cheers mate. 

Didn't expect to see Charlton again this season but a unexpected family matter had me scrambling home here on Monday. 

And so as of Saturday evening I'll of watched only 5 games this last calender year, under 3 different managers,  that's just mental. I liked Dean, felt nothing for apples, I'm excited with the potential of our journey with NJ. 

Aside from everything else, I'm really looking forward to experiencing the change in energy within the fans. For those of us who live overseas, we watch every video and clip the club release, we watch all your YouTube vids with envy, not being able to feel the passion so clearly on display now, seeing the belief rise again within us under NJ and the way we play the game now. 

I'll be full of voice tomorrow, a release of pent up emotion for my team, after a difficult few days. 

I can t wait!! COYR'S!!! 

No we don't, speak for your self, shit season, crap Games 
    No we don't what? I do speak feel myself. What's your point? Yes, is a shit season. Care to explain yourself?
  • Options
    0-2. Charlton make sure the relegation threat is put to bed, mathematically. 
  • Options
    While very positive about the impact of Nathan Jones, I am still finding it very difficult to find my enthusiasm pills.  An awful season overall. Perhaps the worst ever, despite the unbeaten run of 76 draws. Just want it to be over now.

And our defence is still rubbish. 

2-2 and the world record for most draws ever achieved in League 1 is awarded to Charlton Athletic. 

• Options

May Kanu
    Anderson
    Small Dobbo Cov REG
    Gillesphey Hec Thomas
    Istead

Two Goalkeepers, and one Isted the lone Striker (David James style)... Not sure how thats going to work out ;)
    Lol I've had this before..

It's how I view football. Its partly because I sit in the covered end so that's how the team line up first half but it's also how I view things tactically - the best way to get a view positional and of space on the pitch with me behind our team and the game playing out in front of me. 
  • Options
    Still waiting for that easy win. Maybe today. 1-3 Addicks - May, Chuks, Ramsey with the goals.