Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD : Cambridge Utd Vs Charlton Athletic : Saturday 13th April 2024 : KO 15:00

So, we are into the home straight of a very topsy-turvy season indeed, and the final three fixtures, today we have a journey to make up to The Cledara Stadiun for a match with Cambridge Utd, a game shall we say that could have included a few ex Addicks, but we shall see who actually turns up for them today, we know one who is absent, but 'nuf said on that one eh...
Cambridge sit a couple of places above the drop zone, and should have enough to avoid the drop, but will be desperate to get three more points on the table against us, shame that won't be case though will it, I can see a close encounter where we shall finish victorious, and send home the travelling sold out Addicks happy, 0-2 would do nicely..👍

We have gone toe-to-toe with Cambridge on 23 previous occasions with the Addicks winning eight, the U's seven, and the remaining eight meetings ending all square, Alfie May and Chem Campbell were both on the scoresheet at The Valley in the reverse fixture in December 2023, but Gassan Ahadme bagged a late brace to earn Cambridge a 2-2 draw, so we owe them another defeat eh...

Anyway, here we go...

Connor Wickham will make his first start for the Addicks in this afternoon's game against Cambridge United.

Tyreeq Bakinson and Tyreece Campbell also start as Nathan Jones makes three changes from the team that drew with Wigan Athletic in midweek.

With the versatility in the starting line-up, the Addicks could remain in a 3-5-2 formation or adopt a diamond formation. If the aforementioned, Terell Thomas, Michael Hector and Gillesphey would once again start in a back three in front Harry Isted.

Karoy Anderson may operate as a right wing-back with Thierry Small as left wing-back.

Conor Coventry, captain George Dobson and Bakinson could play as a midfield three with Wickham and Campbell up front. 

January signing Lewis Ward comes on to the bench in place of Ashley Maynard-Brewer with Kayne Ramsay, Rarmani Edmonds-Green, Tayo Edun, Kazenga LuaLua, Alfie May and Chuks Aneke also potential gamechangers for  Jones. 

Charlton: Isted; Thomas, Hector, Gillesphey; Anderson, Coventry, Dobson (c), Bakinson, Small; Wickham, Campbell

Subs: Ward, Ramsay, Edmonds-Green, Edun, LuaLua, May, Aneke

Comments

• Options
    Looking forward to seeing how Wickham and Campbell are together from the start. 
  • Options
    Campbell probably RWB imo, Anderson second striker
  • Options
    Bit of a lopsided team, and who will play right side of the defence?  Bakinson?  Anderson? Dobson? Some "son"! No way will Wickham last a full match so expect Chuks and Alfie to be on before the hour mark. Just hope we are not losing when that happens! COYA!
  • Options
    I suppose Nathan has to have a good look at Wickham so it might as well be now... 
  • Options
    Well that was not expected. This looks like some sort of Fifa 3-4-2-1 line up where the two are CAMs:

Isted

TT.         Hector.    Gillesphey

T(TS)C.      Dobson.   Coventry.      Small

Anderson.      Bakinson

Wickham

• Options
    Good time to have a proper look at Wickham and TJ did enough when he came on to also get a start today. I hope when LuaLua gets in he breaks into more of a jog unlike Tuesday nothing worse than seeing a decent player who previously struck fear into opposition defenders with pace if they have lost that ability 
  • Options
    No Kanu at all?
  • Options
    No idea how they'll line up. I personally don't think TC will be at right wing back, if NJ wants to see him in action, surely it'll be in his favoured position?
  • Options
    Maybe Campbell given a free role to play across the front line and off the shoulder fed by Wickham's knock downs?

If so, they must have been working on it in training. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    With the height and strength of Wickham and Bakinson included, it may also be tactical to negate aspects of Cambridge's strengths? 
  • Options
    All of that talk about not experimenting eh?
  • Options
    NJ def experimenting with line-ups now, and I like the idea, shows some intent on setting up for next season, will be looking forward to seeing Wickham in the first half and hopefully Alfie and Chuks second half...
  • Options
    Quite excited to see how this line-up works out.
    I like Bakinson when he comes on as sub. Let's hope he can step up when starting. 👍
    Same applies to Connor Wickham who i thought looked very sharp in his short cameo. Tupac has also looked on it when coming on against tiring defenders. Hope he does well today.
  • Options
    Funny team. Let's see if Wickham can fare better than Ladapo!
  • Options
    Weird line up
  • Options
    edited April 13
    After the pain of getting to Cambridge (still a work in progress with 35mins before kick off) and the double pain of then having to work out how to get home after the game - anyone any ideas on getting back to SE London!.. the players better put on a performance!  
  • Options
    I dont mind NJ changing things up at this stage of the season but that's an odd looking line up. Still, NJ knows what he's doing.
  • Options
    edited April 13
    May dropped. Top goalscorer & only person looking likely to score. 

Thata way to go. 

Edit.

No idea but by my reckoning the starting  line-up have scored less than 8 goals between them all season. 

Edit

The line up have score 7 between them in the league & 11 if you include all cup games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What’s happened to Lloyd Jones - out of favour or injured? 
  • Options
    Expect the unexpected with NJ. I've said it a few occasions here.
    Alfie May dropped....risky for result and  annoying for a  player chasing the L1 golden Boot...

• Options
    Funny because Nathan Jones was only talking on Thursday about the integrity of the league 🤔.
  • Options
    What’s happened to Lloyd Jones - out of favour or injured? 
    Groin strain after his recent TV appearance.
  • Options
    edited April 13
    Great chat in the studio about our Prem promotion/relegation/promotion seasons back in 1998/9 and interesting stuff regarding spending/budgets etc...forgot there was a match on this afternoon, could listen to this all afternoon...
  • Options
    Not a lot of goals in that starting line-up 🤔
  • Options

Cambridge have made three changes with the biggest news being that Macauley Bonne starts - he's still in search of his first goal for his new club #cafc
  • Options
    Great chat in the studio about our Prem promotion/relegation/promotion seasons back in 1998/9 and interesting stuff regarding spending/budgets etc...forgot there was a match on this afternoon, could listen to this all afternoon...
    Yup. Me too!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!