Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Most draws in one season

This has to be close to our record? Does anyone know?

23 is the efl record.

Comments

• Options
    20 league draws - 1995/1996
  • Options
    The record we look set to break is ‘lowest league position since the 1920s’

We haven’t finished this low in the third tier of English football (16th) since before the war!

Says it all really.
    We are only two matches away from equalling our longest longest unbeaten run.
  • Options
    We’ve never finished this low or taken this long to get promoted out of the third tier (having been relegated in to it ) 
    our first football league relegation was in 1933 
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    The record we look set to break is ‘lowest league position since the 1920s’

We haven’t finished this low in the third tier of English football (16th) since before the war!

Says it all really.
    We are only two matches away from equalling our longest longest unbeaten run.
    Longest run is 17 games, despite what Wikipedia reckons (15). 1980/81 - 15 league games and 2 FA Cup games. 

We also had a 16 game run in 1997/98 & 1998/99. Last 10 league games of 1997/98, the 3 play off games, and the first 3 league games of 1998/99.
  • Options
    We won 12 on the spin in 1999/2000. That is a better record than drawing 8 out 13 or whatever the "unbeaten" run currently is. 

When a Nathan Jones' side can string 3 or 4 wins together please let me know. 
  • Options
    If we had lost 10 of those draws, but won the other 9 we’d have 60 points now.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    This.

1 win & 1 defeat = 3 points
    2 draws = 2 points.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seth and golfie, behave!!!!

when Appleton was sacked, we were deep in relegation trouble. I can’t remember golfies exact words but they were along the lines of us being 6 points from safety after the derby game 

jones has come on and lost one game. Thats a very good start, stop the defeats and the wins will eventually come. He has got players battling and although we are still giving away soft goals, he has us competing.

once we won a few games and pulled away from the relegation zone, this season was then a write off. Yesterdays team was experimental to a a certain extent.

every Charlton supporter I have spoken to are all of the same opinion. With jones in charge, next season could be a good one.
    Exactly this. I think some people are forgetting where we were. Jones came in with the team in disarray and hadn't won for months. 12 league games without a win, and our only win since October was at home to Cheltenham. We were absolutely heading for league 2.

In a very short space of time he stopped the rot and steered us through 3 unbeaten games in a week against the top 3 where most of us feared the worst. We've beaten Derby (2nd) and Barnsley (5th) and since the Reading defeat in his first match, only us and leaders Portsmouth are unbeaten.

We all know the defence is poor, we need better signings and we need to keep more clean sheets, and if we do that we will naturally win more games. Of course we'd rather some of these draws were wins, but this run is a solid base to build on for next season.
  • Options
    Anything outside of promotion isn’t a good season to me , I know many would be happy  finishing 3rd on 92 points and losing The play off final and winning the bristol street cup but it’s still third tier shit 
    We have been in complete control of south east London’s wooden spoon for far too long 
    palace and millwall on their best ever runs in league football we’re on our worst, next season is our 11th in 16 in the third tier 

our first 16 seasons in league football were 10 in the third tier 5 in the second tier and 1 in the top flight 
    The main thing is our Away support is picking up
  • Options

when Appleton was sacked, we were deep in relegation trouble. I can’t remember golfies exact words but they were along the lines of us being 6 points from safety after the derby game 

jones has come on and lost one game. Thats a very good start, stop the defeats and the wins will eventually come. He has got players battling and although we are still giving away soft goals, he has us competing.

once we won a few games and pulled away from the relegation zone, this season was then a write off. Yesterdays team was experimental to a a certain extent.

every Charlton supporter I have spoken to are all of the same opinion. With jones in charge, next season could be a good one.
    My comment is about the general approach in the future.
    For example are we going to be more attacking rather than keep what we have, I have pointed out the risk can be worth the reward.
  • Options
    Charlton Athletic will now finish on their lowest points total in the 10 seasons since 2009/2010 that they have spent in League One 

2023/2024: 52 (After 44 games)
    2010/2011: 59
    2021/2022: 59
    2016/2017: 60
    2022/2023: 62
  • Options
    seth plum said:

For example are we going to be more attacking rather than keep what we have, I have pointed out the risk can be worth the reward.
    Of course we will, Jones isn't an idiot and he knows what is required but he's simply having to work with what he's got. When your defence is a calamity, you can't be too attacking as it'll leave them exposed and we will concede even more. His formation also requires good quality wing backs and we do not have a decent RWB so that doesn't help us either.

Once we make better defensive signings, there will be more confidence in them, we will have 2 good wing backs pushing on and we can naturally play a more attacking game. 
  • Options

Exactly this. I think some people are forgetting where we were. Jones came in with the team in disarray and hadn't won for months. 12 league games without a win, and our only win since October was at home to Cheltenham. We were absolutely heading for league 2.

In a very short space of time he stopped the rot and steered us through 3 unbeaten games in a week against the top 3 where most of us feared the worst. We've beaten Derby (2nd) and Barnsley (5th) and since the Reading defeat in his first match, only us and leaders Portsmouth are unbeaten.

We all know the defence is poor, we need better signings and we need to keep more clean sheets, and if we do that we will naturally win more games. Of course we'd rather some of these draws were wins, but this run is a solid base to build on for next season.
    What can be forgotten is that if you are not losing, one goal more scored or one goal less conceded will win you the game. We are not as far off as some may think IMO. I think the easiest part of the solution is the keeper and we need to identify one as good as we can get who marshals the defence and instills confidence in them. Of course then we have to solve other bits, in terms of defenders I don't think we need to replace them all. I want more goals from the midfield too. But the easiest by far is the keeper.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

For example are we going to be more attacking rather than keep what we have, I have pointed out the risk can be worth the reward

Once we make better defensive signings, there will be more confidence in them, we will have 2 good wing backs pushing on and we can naturally play a more attacking game. 
    We made plenty of defensive signings last summer & again in January.....both permanent and on loan. Are you saying we are going to have to rip up their contracts and start again ?  If so that could prove to be very expensive. 

Ditto re goal keeper. In fact we've brought in goal keeper after goal keeper over the past few years. None have stayed very long.

Maybe, just maybe, its down to the recruitment. And the main culprit is still here. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    This.

1 win & 1 defeat = 3 points
    2 draws = 2 points.
    2 defeats = 0 points
    2 draws = 2 points

It works both ways. 

No one is happy with the season we've had, but before Jones the 1 win for 3 points, you mention, didn't look to even exist for remainder of our season. 

Yes, it's frustrating to keep dropping points from games we look to be in control of, but we have to trust the process, and being hard to beat now, anyway possible, will hopefully build in to something next season, as Jones should be a good influence on summer recruitment. 
  • Options
    We can only live in hope that the club will get recruitment right one year.

I’m hoping the influence of NJ changes things this summer although I must admit that I am a little worried if Lua Lua is the benchmark…he looks a massive downgrade on what we had (Chem Campbell) & has only made our winger options weaker.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Charlton Athletic will now finish on their lowest points total in the 10 seasons since 2009/2010 that they have spent in League One 

It’s far worse than that. This is the worst Charlton team for 100 years.

23/24 will be our lowest finish (if we finish below 13th) since 1925.

An abysmal first year for Scott, Methven, Elliott & Rodwell when you consider how weak league one is this year.

Serious investment required in the summer.
    Lowest finishing league positions since Charlton Athletic joined the football league in 1921 

All Third Tier

21st out of 22 - 1925/1926

16th out of 22 - 1921/1922

15th out of 22 - 1924/1925

14th out of 22 - 1923/1924

14th out of 24 - 1973/1974

16th out of 24 - 2023/2024 (After 44 games) 
  • Options
    edited April 14
    We finished 13th in 2016/17, having had a spell flirting with the bottom four mid-season, thats our lowest since our PL relegation. Win the last couple and we could at least equal that. 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

It’s far worse than that. This is the worst Charlton team for 100 years.

23/24 will be our lowest finish (if we finish below 13th) since 1925.

An abysmal first year for Scott, Methven, Elliott & Rodwell when you consider how weak league one is this year.

Serious investment required in the summer.
    I really hope the players will be doing a "lap of appreciation" after the match on Saturday so that they can get the recognition they deserve for such a momentous season.
  • Options
    Exciting isn’t it……. No hold on actually it’s bloody dull. The worse case being we are even doing it the shit way most of the time, by going in front and conceding the equaliser for the draw, rather than coming from behind. 
  • Options
    I've said for years that too many draws are a negative. Only the bottom four have won less games than we have and we have only taken three points, on average, once in every four games. Draws, at the time, lead to thoughts of "well at least we didn't lose" or "that was a good point" but, taking all those 19 draws as a whole, they are a negative. 
  • Options
    Only we could possibly equal our longest ever unbeaten run whilst finishing in our lowest position in nearly 100 years
  • Options
    Exciting isn’t it……. No hold on actually it’s bloody dull. The worse case being we are even doing it the shit way most of the time, by going in front and conceding the equaliser for the draw, rather than coming from behind. 
    Coming from behind is always my preference.