Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beckham

Drove 2 hours up and back to take my kid to see Beckham play against New England and he didn't even come on the field. My kid is gutted. The MLS have to be very careful about this 32,000 there and half of them there to see Beckahm. A lot of pissed off people left the ground early and will probably never go to see another football game...

Comments

• Options
    yeah - 50,000 have already bought tickets to see Beckham play in Vancouver in October - I bet he's injured anyway. I don't give a monkeys if he plays or not, because Im a whitecaps season ticket holder and will be there to see them play but I don't think the other 45,000 who don't normally turn up will be too happy. Also I don't think Mclaren will be too happy if he gets injured in the game, which is an exhibition game thats a week before vital england qualifiers.
  • Options
    he wasn't even on the team sheet and then they said he didn't play because they don't want him playing on artificial surfaces with his bad ankle...had they told me that about 6 hours earlier I wouldn't have gone.....what a con....
  • Options
    why should he "play if he's available". It's the coach's choice to play him or not, if thousands of people are purely buying tickets to watch Beckham then i think that is stupid. Football is a sport, not a cinema showing or West End show.

Things like this are exactly why MLS will never be a success, people don;t care about the sport, they care about the celebrity.

Compare that to college football etc where 30,000 turn up to watch an actual sport with students of uni's etc the difference is clear.
  • Options
    What i've never understood about the Beckham in the US is that people are turning up to see him play are going to be dissapointed when they realise he can't dribble or beat a player with a bit of sublime skill. Will the US public 'get' what he brings to the team?

It' can't be easy to explain to a casual audience that Beckhams biggest assets are his sublime delivery of the ball, his stamina and his attitude?
  • Options
    I thought I read in todays paper that he came on for 15 mins or so?
  • Options
    No he didn't play Sunday...last Wednesday he played 12 mins against DC united...Agree with all the points above but I feel he is an Englland hero ( especially after the Greece game)...one of the few who cared about wearing the shirt.
  • Options
    Beckham himself isn't the problem, and yes I agree about your comments re him wearing the shirt.

The problem is the yanks, who just don't seem to understand that he's injured and can't play. They're upset as they bought tickets to see one player, not a team. It's like going to see a show and the lead person is sick and replaced by the understudy... you're disappointed but enjoy the show anyway....
  • Options
    I totally agree with WSS. You can't watch a football match just because there's one player who might be involved. You watch it for the thrill of the sport and the buzz it gives you.

I can however understand people wanting to see Beckham play. Afterall it has been an extremely highly publicised transfer. Wrong as it is, people are going to still go to see the Galaxy play for the wrong reasons. The fans need to understand that whilst he's injured or even slightly injured he isn't going to come on just to please a few people.