Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stuttgart?

Heading to Stuttgart for a couple of days to watch Slovenia v Denmark at the Euros.
Staying in Waiblingen (15 mins from the main train station in Stuttgart).
Any tips around a decent German biergarten either in Waiblingen or nearby areas? Ideally don’t want to head all the way in to Stuttgart.

Comments

• Options
    Went to Stuttgart last Christmas and really enjoyed it. Can't recommend anywhere in Waiblingen, but the transport system is really good and would highly recommend both  Carls Brauhaus (bar & food) and Weinstube Frohlich (resto) if you do venture into central stuggart. 

The Porsche museum is also worth checking out if you're into Cars.
  • Options
    edited April 16
    Went to Stuttgart last Christmas and really enjoyed it. Can't recommend anywhere in Waiblingen, but the transport system is really good and would highly recommend both  Carls Brauhaus (bar & food) and Weinstube Frohlich (resto) if you do venture into central stuggart. 

The Porsche museum is also worth checking out if you're into Cars.
    Thanks, noted.
    We’re arriving Saturdays afternoon (8 hour train trip), so will probably find somewhere local. Following day is match day (6pm kickoff) but could sneak in a visit to the Porsche museum as we’re already on the train at 9.30am back towards Denmark the following day.
  • Options
    edited April 16
    Do you have a match day ticket? Stuttgart are riding high in the league so assume demand would be high.

For exampl, we went to Dusseldorf last November to see Fortuna but the plane was delayed so we missed it.

On the Saturday we went to Cologne (bottom three) to see them play Augsberg (mid table), 50,000 capacity stadium and we just about got tickets, three in the home end and the other five in with the Augsberg fans, great atmosphere.  

Funniest/strangest thing was Cologne come out to the fans singing 'the bonny banks of Loch Lomond'.
  • Options
    edited April 16
    Went to Stuttgart a few years ago and found the city to be uninspiring and wouldn't go back again. It is however a good local hub for going to other cities close by, Heidelberg is about a 45 minute train ride away and is a beautiful city.

Fernsehturm tower is worth a visit as Stuttgart Kickers ground is next to the tower.

If you get a chance go the Mercedes benz museum, this is superb.

Stammheim prison is based there which i think you can visit that did house the baader-meinhoff terrosists group.

They have  strange UBahn as it only goes undergrouynd in the city centre.

• Options
    I went to Stuttgart two years ago. Sadly, the City break was ruined when my Dad had a stroke on the second…German hospitals are lovely btw.

Heidelberg is definitely worth a trip, beautiful. The Mercedes museum is really interesting. 
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Do you have a match day ticket? Stuttgart are riding high in the league so assume demand would be high.
    He's going to see Slovenia vs Denmark at the Euros rather than VfB Stuttgart
  • Options
    Went to Stuttgart a few years ago and found the city to be uninspiring and wouldn't go back again. It is however a good local hub for going to other cities close by, Heidelberg is about a 45 minute train ride away and is a beautiful city.

Fernsehturm tower is worth a visit as Stuttgart Kickers ground is next to the tower.

If you get a chance go the Mercedes benz museum, this is superb.

Stammheim prison is based there which i think you can visit that did house the baader-meinhoff terrosists group.

They have  strange UBahn as it only goes undergrouynd in the city centre.

Bit like London’s then. 
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Correct. A short visit, arriving Sat afternoon and back on the train Monday morning (kickoff Sunday 6pm).
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Oops maybe I should read thing more thoroughly.
  • Options
    Stuttgart is certainly not a beautiful city, but we Brits should be respectful about one of the main reasons why it is full of uninspiring modern buildings. But since being there for the 3rd place World Cup game in 2006, a fantastice experience, I grab any opportunity to return. It’s all about the vibe, there’s a lot of good eating, they consider themselves close to Italy, and have good vineyards nearby. 

We didnt really notice it on that 2006 trip,  but if you look on the map, there’s a great swathe of park running the length of the centre. It you need to get from one end of the central city to the other, people dive into that park for a short green diversion. It’s lovely.

Not an option for Danepak’s short visit but the Outlet village of Metzingen is 35 mins south by train, the home of Hugo Boss but now expanded to include hundreds of brands, while keeping a civilised feel to the town. I’m sure its the best in Europe, but you need at least half a day and a shopping list. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stuttgart is certainly not a beautiful city, but we Brits should be respectful about one of the main reasons why it is full of uninspiring modern buildings. But since being there for the 3rd place World Cup game in 2006, a fantastice experience, I grab any opportunity to return. It’s all about the vibe, there’s a lot of good eating, they consider themselves close to Italy, and have good vineyards nearby. 

We didnt really notice it on that 2006 trip,  but if you look on the map, there’s a great swathe of park running the length of the centre. It you need to get from one end of the central city to the other, people dive into that park for a short green diversion. It’s lovely.

Not an option for Danepak’s short visit but the Outlet village of Metzingen is 35 mins south by train, the home of Hugo Boss but now expanded to include hundreds of brands, while keeping a civilised feel to the town. I’m sure its the best in Europe, but you need at least half a day and a shopping list. 
    Great stuff mate and couldnt agree more, except have you been to the outlet village in Oberhausen north of Dusseldorf.

That is phenomenal and crazy thing my brother mentioned it the other day out of the blue as he did a lot of the stone masonry there and said the Germans pay well but want their pound of flesh.
  • Options
    edited April 17

Not an option for Danepak’s short visit but the Outlet village of Metzingen is 35 mins south by train, the home of Hugo Boss but now expanded to include hundreds of brands, while keeping a civilised feel to the town. I’m sure it’s the best in Europe, but you need at least half a day and a shopping list. 
    Canstatter Wasen? which also includes VfB Stuttgart’s ground. 

The city also houses the biggest brothel Drei-Farben Haus.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

Not an option for Danepak’s short visit but the Outlet village of Metzingen is 35 mins south by train, the home of Hugo Boss but now expanded to include hundreds of brands, while keeping a civilised feel to the town. I’m sure it’s the best in Europe, but you need at least half a day and a shopping list. 

Nope. Its apparently called Mittlerer Schlossgarten. Its like a great green lung of the city. First time I ever saw Nordic walking ( and I thought, what are the Germans doing now?) - now I do it too😀
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

Thanks. I’m happily married but two of the guys going are both divorced, so perhaps they can visit the Drei-Farben Haus while I focus on my schnitzel and stein.
  • Options
    Amadeus is worth a visit - a large Bierhaus in the centre (Charlottenplatz) with an even larger Biergarten. Traditional German food and beer, does what it says on the tin. I spent many a happy evening there when my ex-girlfriend* lived in Stuttgart.

*ex-girlfriend in the sense that she's now my wife ;)

• Options
    AshBurton said:
    Amadeus is worth a visit - a large Bierhaus in the centre (Charlottenplatz) with an even larger Biergarten. Traditional German food and beer, does what it says on the tin. I spent many a happy evening there when my ex-girlfriend* lived in Stuttgart.

*ex-girlfriend in the sense that she's now my wife ;)

Thanks, noted. Another poster mentioned Carls Brauhaus as well. I can only imagine both places will be super busy on match day, especially if the weather is luvly and you want to sit outside.