Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Points dropped after 75 minutes this season…

1. Portsmouth : 2pts
2. Bolton, Wigan, Burton, Fleetwood : 4pts
6. Blackpool, Cambridge, Carlisle : 5pts
9. Northampton, Bristol R, Shrewsbury : 6pts
12. Exeter : 7pts
13. Derby, Leyton Orient, Wycombe : 8pts
16. Peterborough, Barnsley, Reading, Cheltenham : 9pts
20. Lincoln : 10pts
21. Oxford, Stevenage, Port Vale : 11pts 
24. Charlton : 14pts

Comments

• Options
    be interesting to break that down under the 3 different managers. I'm sure it's got better. 
  • Options
    It does also work the other way, not to the same level. But including only goals from 75 minutes onwards in games we'd be 12th:

• Options
    edited April 16
    It does also work the other way, not to the same level. But including only goals from 75 minutes onwards in games we'd be 12th:

Yes we are joint 1st for “points gained” after 75 minutes as well..!

Derby, Barnsley, Leyton Orient and Charlton all +13.
  • Options
    edited April 16
    redman said:
    be interesting to break that down under the 3 different managers. I'm sure it's got better. 
    Holden: -3 from 5 games
    Appleton: -7 from 22 games
    Jones: -4 from 14 games

For the points gained:

Holden: 0 from 5 games
    Appleton: +7 from 22 games
    Jones: +6 from 14 games

Taking the differences… Holden -3 from 5, Appleton 0 from 22 and Jones +2 from 14.

You can break Appleton’s +7 and -7 into two very distinct sections: +7 from his first 12 games & -7 from his last 10 games. The period in between those two sections were the Gillingham FA Cup & Reading EFL Trophy debacles.
  • Options
    This is our best 15 minute period. If only games were just played from 61 to 75:

• Options
    This is our best 15 minute period. If only games were just played from 61 to 75:

Chuks Aneke approves.
  • Options
    There was  a spell under Appleton where it seemed inevitable there would be a goal against from the 80th minute onwards 
  • Options
    edited April 16
    I had a look at this towards the end of Appleton’s tenure:

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/97291/any-stattos-out-there-have-a-bit-of-time

In short, Appleton historically bad when it came to dropping points due to late goals.
  • Options
    There was  a spell under Appleton where it seemed inevitable there would be a goal against from the 80th minute onwards 
    With hindsight, that really started again Wigan on Halloween when we were 3-0 up and cruising and conceded in the 84th and 90th.

But that was really driven home again Cambridge when we were 2-0 and conceded in 87' and 96'. But moreso, it was when Apples took off Fraser and brought on TC. We had the ball, we were playing in their half, and we didn't look concerned. When Fraser went off, Watson dropped deeper, the whole team dropped deeper, and they came at us for the last 20 minutes and ended up scoring twice. 

I don't believe that seasons are changed entirely on one subsitition, but that was about as close as it gets. I don't think we'd be in the playoff hunt if it weren't for that, but after that we never looked defensively solid under Apples again (not that we were great to begin with).
  • Options
    Nice (or not so nice) observation SD
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Games when we have had a clear 2 goal lead this season and amount of time we had it for;

V Wycombe - went 3-1 up in 94th minute 
    V Exeter (with 10 men) went 3-1 up in 79th minute went on to win 4-1 - 11 minutes + Ij time
    V Reading - 2 up on 68 went on to win 4-0 - 22 minutes +Ij
    V Wigan - 2 up on 31 mins - was 3-2 on 90 - so about 60 minutes
    V Cambridge - 61-87 mins so 26 minutes
    V Cheltenham - 3-1 in 90th minute 

allowing for injury time we have only had a clear 2 or more goal lead for about 140 ish minutes all season across 44 games. Almost half of that time was in 1 game. 5 of them we went on to win (which you would expect with a 2 goal lead to be fair)

I think this has something to do with the stats above - we have given far too many teams we should have already put away hope to push on with only a 1 goal difference/level score going into the last 15. It's also got to have had an effect longer term that we haven't been allowed much opportunity to coast a little and just play keep ball in many games and we have (supposedly) had to keep the work rate up over the full 90++ every single game with no let up.

The leaky defense and lack of clean sheets is one hell of an issue for certain, but the inability to turn a 1 goal lead into 2 when on top has been another one.