Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cream for arthritis?

What works please?
Looking for something for an elderly gent on blood thinners so nothing with ibuprofen or diplofenac in it. So many products out there so would prefer a tip off from here if poss.

There was a previous thread but I have searched and cannot find. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    edited April 16
    Try something that contains hemp ..a cream or an oil that is not a spliff 
  • Options
    What works please?
    Looking for something for an elderly gent on blood thinners so nothing with ibuprofen or diplofenac in it. So many products out there so would prefer a tip off from here if poss.

There was a previous thread but I have searched and cannot find. Thanks in advance!
    Try asking his GP first of all. 
  • Options
    Voltorol extra strength

• Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Voltorol extra strength

Thanks but contains diclofenac so cant be doing that one.
  • Options
    What works please?

Cheers. I'll encourage him to do so but unfortunately can't trust him to have that conversation,  I.e. to remember and articulate his needs.

• Options
    What works please?

I'd probably ask a pharmacist.  They have a better understanding of drugs and interactions and will be more up to speed with any new products on the market available without a prescription.  Also you can get the information without needing the permission of the patient as there is no exchange of personal information.
  • Options
    What works please?

Cheers. I'll encourage him to do so but unfortunately can't trust him to have that conversation,  I.e. to remember and articulate his needs.

That’s fair enough but with your friends agreement there is nothing to stop you attending with his GP as his advocate. The reality is that there are many more effective treatments available to him by prescription than what is on offer over the counter 👍
  • Options
    Go to a shop called the herbalist, they are all over the place now and buy the highest strength CBD balm. Honestly it is a game changer, if you have some contacts and I'm not saying this for a cheap laugh. See if you can get some RSO in diluted form 
  • Options
    edited April 16
    Nut med cream from Grenada. 
  • Options
    As an aside has anyone on here used Roycederm cream for itchy body rash? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Used Voltarol / Voltarene as pain killer when I used to get the gout. Probably most affective thing I used, but it does contain Declofenic so don't over do it like I did
  • Options
    As pointed out earlier if you're on blood thinners you can't use anything with Ibuprofen or Diclofenec in it. 
  • Options
    As pointed out earlier if you're on blood thinners you can't use anything with Ibuprofen or Diclofenec in it. 
    Same with kidney problems
  • Options
    A lot of my family have suffered from occasionally crippling rheumatoid arthritis. My dad is on full meds having initially been prescribed heavy duty steroids short term, my sister uses CBD based cream which seems to work for her a bit, although using THC containing gummies as now legal in a lot of countries seems to work better for her chronic pain syndrome.

My gran used to swear by acupuncture and this, surprisingly to me frequently gave her a lot of pain relief and much greater range of function particularly in her hands. 

• Options
    A lot of my family have suffered from occasionally crippling rheumatoid arthritis. My dad is on full meds having initially been prescribed heavy duty steroids short term, my sister uses CBD based cream which seems to work for her a bit, although using THC containing gummies as now legal in a lot of countries seems to work better for her chronic pain syndrome.

My gran used to swear by acupuncture and this, surprisingly to me frequently gave her a lot of pain relief and much greater range of function particularly in her hands. 

It isn't a catch all however CBD and THC together are amazing for pain relief and crucially symptom relief too. I'd try and go down the legal route but don't be concerned about veering off that path, the police can't attend home burglaries or violent robberies so I'd be amazed if they bothered anyone trying to relieve symptoms of arthritis. Ibuprofen is terrible for your insides. Topical CBD and small amounts of THC is not 
  • Options
    Small amounts? That’s where I’ve been going wrong. :(
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    Nut med cream from Grenada. 
    Have ordered some of this in spray form. Not cheap but probably worth the risk as he is desperate. None of the pain relief so far prescribed by doctors has worked.

The CBD/THC/RSO possibilities are of interest too and if there was an easily available product would try that.
  • Options
    Mre Baldy brings this back from India and swears by it. It is available here.
  • Options
    To be honest you could start with just hemp cream or gel and when you realise that makes you/them feel better go up in strength
  • Options
    Available online. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Available online. 

I think that's the one @T.C.E has recommended before (?)
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I've ordered a couple of things now and will see how they go. Someone gave him arica cream yesterday so that will go first. He's 200 miles away from me and a complex case. Any relief even if it's placebo will be help for now. 
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I've ordered a couple of things now and will see how they go. Someone gave him arica cream yesterday so that will go first. He's 200 miles away from me and a complex case. Any relief even if it's placebo will be help for now. 
    If you have ordered the Nut Med cream, make sure you have a nice hot bath / shower before applying it
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    If you have ordered the Nut Med cream, make sure you have a nice hot bath / shower before applying it
    Thanks. Makes sense. Will pass that on.
  • Options
    edited April 20
    Definitely take medical advice first, but glucosamine & Chrondroitin can help ease joint pain, recommended years ago when I had a touch of arthritis in my thumb. May contain shellfish, so comes with an allergy warning.