Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FA Cup replays scrapped

FA Cup replays will be scrapped from the first round onwards in the 2024-25 competition.

All rounds of the Emirates FA Cup will also be played on weekends, including the fifth round which has been played in midweek for the last five seasons.

The changes come as part of a new six-year agreement between the Football Association and the Premier League.

Both say that it will "strengthen" the FA Cup format.

I think what the PL actually meant is "it suits us more to not have replays".

Comments

• Options
    Why was fixture congestion never an issue before, especially when the season seems to finish a week or two later than it used to?
  • Options
    Should there be a rule introduced where the team lower down the league is automatically the home team? Or do the bigger crowds (away at OT for instance) actually bring more revenue than say a sell out at home but the stadium only holds 15k?
  • Options
    Lots of great games unravel in replays. Not for us so much admittedly. So long as the big clubs are happy and the FA don't have to do anything that involves doing anything all's well.
  • Options
    Confused why replays have been scrapped from the FIRST round onwards, when the driver for this are the PL teams in Europe. Or is it that the L1 and L2 teams feel that replays in the 1st two rounds are of little benefit to them?

This also knocks out a chunk of midweek televised matches, as they usually show a few replays.
  • Options
    Why don't they just remove teams in Europe, or even all Premier League teams, from the League Cup. That's a few more games removed from their hectic schedules...
  • Options
    edited April 18
    Makes sense to me. Find replays boring personally. Just settle it on the day. (Yes I know some small clubs get more money by having a replay but the majority are just needless extra games).
  • Options
    Ross said:
    Why was fixture congestion never an issue before, especially when the season seems to finish a week or two later than it used to?
    It's basically a decision made for all clubs just to accommodate the wishes of premier league clubs.

I completely understand that top players play too many games. Increased champions league format, increased club world cup now going to happen every 4 years, Nations league games, increased size of the Euro's and the world cup.

But i still think getting rid of replays is poor.
    Increased end of season tours in far flung places
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Strengthening the fa cup format and more to the point integrity is to bring in a rule similar to the Johnstones piss pot cup or whatever it is where you have to start a match with so many players that either started the previous or will start the next league game.
    I have fuck all sympathy for clubs that have pre (and post) season tours and moan about the amount of games they have to play whilst having spent sickening amounts on players that only fill benches whilst having dozens of other players out on loan.

• Options
    Far too many teams in the champions league resulting far too many games. 
    I understand the reason why so many clubs are now in the champions league, Money Money and Money. 
    Reduce the number of games in the champions league and allow clubs who are in it to not have to compete in the league Cup. 
  • Options
    Shit for the small clubs. Happy days for the big clubs.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Banning replays makes it more likely to get a shock in my opinion. 
    Possibly, although I would expect the 30 mins of extra time (especially if the big team throws on some of its stars it was hoping not to use) to be a major challenge for smaller teams with players that have less fitness/conditioning. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ross said:
    Why don't they just remove teams in Europe, or even all Premier League teams, from the League Cup. That's a few more games removed from their hectic schedules...
    Probably because the TV money for the league cup would dramatically fall, reducing £££ for all the little clubs like us. And isn't the replay decision the trade-off for a guaranteed sum from the EPL to the rest of us? Anyway, most of the time the replays are noting matches, settle it on the day and we are all done, much better. 
  • Options
    Can't believe 11 people have liked the OP

Terrible decision that once again is for the top clubs and doesn't care about the smaller teams 
  • Options
    Just looked:

The agreement also sees the Premier League increasing its funding to grassroots football, with an additional £33m being provided.

So there we go. 
  • Options
    Shit for the small clubs. Happy days for the big clubs.
    This.

Especially in the early rounds. Next season League One could have Sheff Wed, Derby, Stoke, Wrexham. Look at the interest there was when Cray Paper Mills got us back at their place. I can understand PL clubs not wanting replays clogging up their fixture list, but not really the same before the 3rd round. 

Or maybe the PL teams can give the other team a bye if the game's a draw after 90 mins/ extra time.

Nah....thought not   
  • Options
    I don't buy top teams play too many games although I do accept top players do. Top teams can have up to 70 players on their books so they should use them all.

Many players from lower leagues have had the highlight of their career playing replays at top grounds and this has been taken away from them. Pretty shameful.

Has there been any financial redress to smaller clubs 

• Options
    Off_it said:
    I wouldn't have fancied us in a penalty shoot out against Cray Valley.
    I still don't fancy us in the replay ... even though we won!

If I was masochistic enough to watch a re-run of that game on iPlayer I'd expect Apples to pick an even worse side and for us to lose.