Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Give Marcus Bent some credit...

WSSWSS
edited August 2007 in General Charlton
He's not arrogant enough to not admit his shortcomings...

Marcus Bent, having reached a milestone 100th career goal with his strike against Scunthorpe, believes he will be that man, setting himself an ambitious target of 18 or 20 goals for the season. It is an objective that seems all the more outlandish when you consider this is a striker who, for Charlton, has so far managed just five goals in 49 appearances.

Granted he should find easier pickings in the Championship, but he reckons a more crucial ingredient for success will be his improved attitude.

"I didn't have the best of seasons last season," he said.

"I probably didn't have the focus I should have had - that was due to various problems on and off the pitch. This season I'm focused, fit and ready to go, and I want Charlton and myself to get back into the Premiership."

The idea that Bent has recently been living in the shadow of departed namesake Darren, now of Tottenham, is instantly dismissed by the 29-year-old, who clearly holds deep affection for his former team-mate.

"Darren Bent is awesome. He's been like a family member to me for years. The fans sung his name, the press went on about him, but he has gone now. I want Darren to go on and do as well as he can. But I also want to be the best I can.

"I want to work on my fitness and become confident like the departed Darren Bent."

Comments

• Options
    But can he walk the walk?
  • Options
    Interesting. We'll see how long it lasts, but v Scunthorpe he did all the things he refused to do last season; holding on to the ball, turning and running at them, taking the knocks, and even acknowledging his own errors. Just a tap-in for the goal but he wouldn't even have been there last season. Long may it continue...
  • Options
    He lost his man for their equaliser but according to Pards he at least admitted it. Sounds like he's grown up a bit all round.
  • Options
    Teddy v Marcus in a months time.

Handbags on the pitch but a bloody good piss up in Boujis afterwards.
  • Options
    here here - i'm not his biggest fan but if he gets his head right he has every attribute to be a decent striker and regular goal scorer, have to say saturday was the first time i've seen him bust his gut for the charlton cause and long may it continue
  • Options
    yeh im not his biggest fan either but i reluctantly admitted to a few people after the game on saturday that i thought he had a better game.
  • Options
    Looks like Marcus has calmed down his Playboy antics which has improved his workrate... you should try it WSS ;-)
  • Options
    Are we sure he's not just trying to get himself a move before the end of the transfer window? (Sorry...the guy just brings out my cynicism)
  • Options
    i chuffing hope so!