Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Are horses ULEZ compliant?

And do they have to pay the Congestion Charge?

Comments

• Options
    Emissions on a one horse power vehicle are going to be pretty low I would suggest.
  • Options
    They're high emission and certainly causing a lot of traffic issues around Aldwych. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    And do they have to pay the Congestion Charge?
    Think they may be vegan if that helps ?
  • Options
    🐴...Neigh...
  • Options
    Only if there on way to a Carvery
  • Options
    At least one poor horse seems to have a lot of blood on him. Have seen the HC locally where one rider often is leading a 2nd horse, so can understand two getting loose if one rider was unseated as is being reported.  Thankfully all 5 now reported as being caught and hope they and the injured are all OK.
  • Options
    This kind of shows how old I am. When I first started at the Bank of England in 1970, there was a guy still working there whose first job at the Bank was shoveling horse shit out of the bullion yard prior to the Bank starting to use mechanised transport to shift the heavy stuff.  He told me the pollution and chaos from the horse-drawn traffic had to be seen and smelt to be believed.

By 1900, the City of London was drowning in horse manure. There were 11,000 hansom cabs, several thousand horse-drawn buses, needing 12 horses per day, not to mention various carts and drays.  In excess of 50,000 horses in the City with each horse knocking out between 15-35 pounds of manure a day. This attracted huge numbers of flies and spread typhoid fever and other nasty things.  Then there was the 2 pints of urine per day per horse.  On top of this, the life expectancy of a working horse was only three years and carcasses were left in the streets to putrefy as it was then easier to saw them up into bits for removal. 

Bring back diesel I say.
  • Options
    1. All the runaway military horses that became loose this morning in central London have been caught
    2. The Army says "a number of personnel and horses" are injured - the ambulance service says at least four people are hurt
    3. One horse hit the windscreen of a double-decker tour bus - none of the bus staff were injured
    4. Two of the horses were caught in Limehouse - five miles away from Buckingham Palace, where the incident began
    5. The ambulance service says it was called at 08:25 BST to reports of a person thrown from a horse near the Palace
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-london-68888725
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Emissions on a one horse power vehicle are going to be pretty low I would suggest.
    A horse produces about .75 hp.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    A horse produces about .75 hp.
    A horse's maximum power output is actually about 15hp. James Watt coined the term in relation to a specific amount of power produced by a horse in a field doing some sort of activity.
  • Options
    edited April 24
    If they are not then that is great news.

I have identified as an Arabian Thoroughbred horse for months now and demand my rights, please refer to me as يطير مثل الريح from now on ...

Alright, I also drive a diesel Mondeo, but Chizz started this stupid thread in the first place!
  • Options
    I saw 2 horses outside charing cross this morning running up the road from trafalgar Square. These same horses now appear in all the pictures on the news... one of them appears very bloody which I didn't see so maybe happened after...
  • Options
    Seven horses broke free in central London this morning. There was damage and injuries, and they were spread as far apart as Victoria and the Aldwych.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    This kind of shows how old I am. When I first started at the Bank of England in 1970, there was a guy still working there whose first job at the Bank was shoveling horse shit out of the bullion yard prior to the Bank starting to use mechanised transport to shift the heavy stuff.  He told me the pollution and chaos from the horse-drawn traffic had to be seen and smelt to be believed.

By 1900, the City of London was drowning in horse manure. There were 11,000 hansom cabs, several thousand horse-drawn buses, needing 12 horses per day, not to mention various carts and drays.  In excess of 50,000 horses in the City with each horse knocking out between 15-35 pounds of manure a day. This attracted huge numbers of flies and spread typhoid fever and other nasty things.  Then there was the 2 pints of urine per day per horse.  On top of this, the life expectancy of a working horse was only three years and carcasses were left in the streets to putrefy as it was then easier to saw them up into bits for removal. 

Bring back diesel I say.
    Like the trotts
  • Options
    According to the headlines four people have been taken to hospital injured after events related to horses in London this morning.

• Options
    clive said:
    The injured have been taken to horsepital.

They are in a stable condition.
    That's not what I herd
  • Options
    Interestingly, unlike dogs, their poop on the streets is not an offence. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You can put it on your rhubarb 
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Bring back diesel I say.
    Like the trotts
    There's no need to politicise this. 
  • Options
    Conversely if it is on a fence it isn't on the streets.
  • Options
    Looks like they are doing over 20mph to me. Old Bill will have them on a speed awareness chorse.
  • Options
    They shouldn’t be using the Mane Roads
  • Options
    Rather lame joke.
  • Options
    Rather lame joke.
    Yeah, he’s had a mare with that one.
  • Options
    I would say not alongside the custard
    I'll set them up, you nod them in