Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD : Wycombe Wanderers Vs Charlton Athletic : Saturday 27th April 2024 : KO 12.30

Wakey Wakey everybody, early start today...

So here we are last ever game of this sorry forgetful season, and it ends with an away trip up to Adams Park to play Wycombe Wanderers in a match a few of us (not me) could do without, I suppose it is a meaningless match, but at the same time one more chance to actually get three points with that elusive mater of A WIN..remember those do ya, well how about a clean sheet...even better you might say...
So Wycombe Wanderers, mid table, unbeaten lately but with more wins, (hasn't everybody though), Charlton and Wycombe have met on 12 previous occasions with the Addicks winning seven, the Chairboys three and the remaining two clashes resulting in draws, Leaburn, Boban Tedić and Corey Blackett-Taylor were all on the scoresheet in the reverse fixture at The Valley in September 2023 as Charlton ran out 3-1 victors.

Another sold out away end, well done everyone who travelled...So here we go, and may I say it's been emotional, see ya August...

Kayne Ramsay, Lucas Ness, Tyreeq Bakinson and Daniel Kanu return to Charlton’s starting lineup for the final game...

Conor Coventry moves to the bench while Macaulay Gillesphey, Tayo Edun and Connor Wickham aren’t involved in the matchday squad. 

If the Addicks lineup in a 3-5-2 formation Ness would join Michael Hector and Terell Thomas in a back three in front of goalkeeper Harry Isted.

Ramsay and Thierry Small will operate as wing backs with Bakinson joining George Dobson and Karoy Anderson in midfield behind a front two of Kanu and Alfie May.

Coventry is joined on the bench by Lewis Ward, Rarmani Edmonds-Green, Tyreece Campbell, Lewis Fiorini, Kazenga LuaLua and Chuks Aneke.

Charlton: Isted; Ness, Hector, Thomas; Ramsay, Anderson, Dobson (c), Bakinson, Small; May, Kanu

Subs: Ward, Edmonds-Green, Campbell, Coventry, Fiorini, LuaLua, Aneke

Comments

• Options
    edited April 27
    Croydon said:
    How bad is Terry Taylor in training? 
    Don't think he suits Jones' style at all. All this stuff about him being rested until next season appears baseless. 
  • Options
    Slightly random looking lineup.

Neither of the 2 centre backs signed in January, nor Jones start. Which makes you wonder what NJ thinks of REG for example when compared to the ever present in recent weeks Hector and Thomas.

One loanee starts, while Fiorini is back from the cold and on the bench. If he comes on and does well, it'll beg the question why he didn't feature earlier. Conversely if he's rubbish, it'll be an odd pickm
  • Options
    Terry Taylor simply is not good enough to replace Dobson or displace Coventry.

Disappointed to see no Wickham, but if we have decided to keep him on, we may just be protecting him. He's certainly been a half decent addition for us.

I guess Lua Lua gets a last chance to prove himself.

Bakinson I think there is a decent player there, but is there better available for cheaper if we do want him? Probably. 

Fiorini has been absolute dog water so expect nothing today. 
  • Options
    Curbs: Look at the pitch, it's fantastic.

Me: Well not much football has been played on it. 
  • Options
    I think Lloyd Jones is still injured. Louis Mendez mentioned he was going to ask N. Jones about it again, but little point as he never reveals return dates. 
  • Options
    I think it says it all that NJ won't even risk giving Taylor a runout from the bench.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curbs:

Need another striker scoring 15. I think Leaburn can be the perfect foil. 
  • Options
    Why isn't REG getting starts? 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    How bad is Terry Taylor in training? 
    Saving him the London Senior Cup Final on Monday....
  • Options
    Forgot we were playing. Slightly odd selections of Bakinson and Fiorini unless we are contemplating keeping either (I hope not personally).
    I guess in seasons gone by we would try the kids out in a game like this but they have all had run outs already this season so that cupboard is bare.
  • Options
    Thanks @eastterrace6168. Looking forward to a well-earned rest next week?
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Thanks @eastterrace6168. Looking forward to a well-earned rest next week?
    You bet Ali...it's been emotional...😉
  • Options
    If this is the last ever charlton tv programme - or at least in this form - it will be a hell of a shame.

Be interesting to see if they say anything at the end.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Fiorini to come on to a standing ovation. Thoughtful from Jones. 
    It’s going to be bigger than that. Will be coming on after 46 mins to match his shirt number and will walk through a guard of honour. Only fair that a club legend gets the send off he deserves. I should imagine Bakinson will be subbed off in the 30th minute, also with a guard of honour.
  • Options
    If this is the last ever charlton tv programme - or at least in this form - it will be a hell of a shame.

Agree, be good to hear something personal to everyone from the club rather than just the media stuff...
  • Options

I hope they finish with a song. My Way...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I hope they finish with a song. My Way...
    I'd prefer Things can only get better!
  • Options
    Finish with how it all started...

Addicks to Victory (youtube.com)
  • Options
    Guessing ness is being given time so jones to help make Jones make a decision. Maybe same with bakinson.

fiorni to come on and win is the game, earns himself a 5 year deal and will be next seasons player of the year. You heard it hear first 
  • Options
    Interesting line up to end the season... Very surprised, not just to see Lewis Fiorini involved, but any loan players involved, especially as they've been ignored in recent weeks.

Once more into the breach
    Agreed strange line up  :*
  • Options
    Guessing ness is being given time so jones to help make Jones make a decision. Maybe same with bakinson.

fiorni to come on and win is the game, earns himself a 5 year deal and then be utter guff for said five years
  • Options
    Fully expecting us to be winning 1-0 thanks to a rare Alfie May goal, only for Joe Jacobsen to come on in the 89th minute, win the most dubious penalty, making it a very memorable 1-1
  • Options
    edited April 27
    Great chat about the Arsenal 2-4 game, sad to hear that Wenger was sulking so much he couldn't be arsed to join Curbs after the game for a glass of wine, rather sulk in the bog...say's it all about then really, how dare "little" Charlton upstage The Gunners on their own turf...😂
  • Options
    Love the stories from Curbs and Brown. Brilliant that Kinsella was playing for a point when we went 4-1 up at Arsenal lol.
  • Options
    WTF is going on... Its 12:29 and the teams are out?
  • Options
    “Last time we’ll be doing this …” says Minto. Hopefully just for the season!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!