Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Live POTY dinner special - including exclusive George Dobson interview - out now!

edited April 29 in General Charlton
Join us as we record our final show of the campaign at the 2023/34 Player of the Year dinner. We round up the season following the final day game at Wycombe, and speak to players live at the event in the Fans’ Bar at The Valley – including an exclusive interview with Addicks skipper George Dobson as we discuss his future.

We'd like to say a special thank you to everyone who has listened to the show throughout the 23/24 season and also to our sponsors - the British Institute of Kitchen, Bedroom and Bathroom Installation - for their support this campaign.

https://youtu.be/IXZJpijqL1g

LISTEN 👂

💻 Stream: http://tinyurl.com/CLPOTY2324
📲 Acast: http://tinyurl.com/AcastCL
📲 Apple: http://tinyurl.com/ApplePodCL
📲 Spotify: http://tinyurl.com/SpotifyCL

Join us as we record our final show of the campaign at the 2023/34 Player of the Year dinner. We round up the season following the final day game at Wycombe, and speak to players live at the event in the Fans’ Bar at The Valley – including an exclusive interview with Addicks skipper George Dobson as we discuss his future.

We’d like to say a special thank you to everyone who has listened to the show throughout the 23/24 season and also to our sponsors – the British Institute of Kitchen, Bedroom and Bathroom Installation – for their support this campaign.

Enjoying the show and want to support the pod? Check out our merch store – https://t.co/hlj5VBVt5v

Comments

• Options
    Brief preview of the Dobson interview is here: 

https://twitter.com/LouisMend/status/1784741603585790404
  • Options
    Alfie may have had a couple of drinks 
  • Options
    Listening to it now.  :)
  • Options
    could we start next season then with our top 3 on the POTY awards no longer playing for us then?
  • Options
    could we start next season then with our top 3 on the POTY awards no longer playing for us then?
    2 out of 3 ain’t bad 
  • Options
    Dobos comments were very very interesting….well I think they were anyway.
    For what it’s worth, I still think things are going on behind the scenes……as I always have as a matter of fact.
    So, I’m going to remain glass half full for the time being.
    You may well be right. With the season over there is no reason for him not to be unequivocal and confirm he was going. But he wasn't and didn't confirm it. 
  • Options
    For what it’s worth, I still think things are going on behind the scenes……as I always have as a matter of fact.
    You may well be right. With the season over there is no reason for him not to be unequivocal and confirm he was going. But he wasn't and didn't confirm it. 
    Quite possibly. Also possible that he has confidentiality agreements in place and simply can’t say anything. And, listening to the interview, I am hazarding a wild guess that he was pissed and could barely string too words together. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Might be clutching at straws I took it from the Dobbo interview that there is a good chance he stays.

I think if he was defiantly just going, he would have said unfortunately yes I have signed a contract and will be leaving, but he kept saying I can’t say anything and at the end I think he said something when touching upon it be the last we see of him, you never know in football.

One time he was quite clear was when asked if Charlton could have done more and he quickly said yes. 

• Options
    No cause May not going anywhere as he said himself .. 
  • Options
    The main point with Dobson is HE went and signed a contract with another club he could and should have said I will wait till end of season before deciding ..like 99% of players do when their contracts are running out .. only two people to blame his advisor and Dobson himself 
    The only reason I think for him signing it, was it covered him if he got injured and would still pick up a wage.
  • Options
    just listened to the podcast - clearly still lots going on behind the scenes to see if there's a way Dobson can stay (that's my take on it)

by the sounds of it I think he wants to.

let's see how it pan's out
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    So potentially you are losing your job in 3 months, someone offers you a new job and you can start in 3 months and you say NO, I'll wait and see if they change their mind!?
    Ive heard some BS but that even beats anything @Redmidland has ever said. 
    Well possibly but it wasn’t an English team he signed up for. He’s gone very left field in going to Hungary, I doubt very much if GD would have gone long without an offer or two from league one if not a Championship club. You don’t see many players signing pre contracts just for security. It’s usually a step up. If they’ve offered him considerably more than he could expect in the U.K. then fair play but I don’t believe that. George I think was poorly advised and acted rashly. 
  • Options
    agreed - obviously the fact he was very cagey in that interview means things are going on behind the scenes.....otherwise he'd have spoken more freely and said 'yeah I'm off' etc

hindsight is a wonderful thing
  • Options
    The main point with Dobson is HE went and signed a contract with another club he could and should have said I will wait till end of season before deciding ..like 99% of players do when their contracts are running out .. only two people to blame his advisor and Dobson himself 
    The only reason I think for him signing it, was it covered him if he got injured and would still pick up a wage.
    Thoroughly dejected with the way things were going on the pitch. Thoroughly dejected with Appleton's management. Thoroughly dejected that he was valued highly enough by CAFC.

I think he acted rashly whilst feeling very down about things.

Now, it sounds like he'd like to stay if possible.
    If there was still a huge gap between him and CAFC, then I don't think he'd be talking this way, I think it would be a definite farewell.
    I think negotiations must be happening between CAFC and the Hungarian's, and the outcome will depend on those negotiations.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 29
    Sometimes it's what isn't said that makes the difference, and listening to Dobbo there speaks volumes..."I can't really say too much"...next seasons captain has spoken...imo
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    So potentially you are losing your job in 3 months, someone offers you a new job and you can start in 3 months and you say NO, I'll wait and see if they change their mind!?
    Ive heard some BS but that even beats anything @Redmidland has ever said. 
    So his career would have been ovwr if the Hungarian team back out ?.

Charlton fucked up and so did George. 
  • Options
    edited April 29
    He'll stay.

*Edit, his Wiki page says he's now a Videoton player, he must be leaving.......
  • Options
    I agree George owes us nothing. 
    Indeed for me he has created fond memories to lighten this dark time in our history.