Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fridge freezer repairers

Any freezer repairers on here on anyone know anybody who's genuine & decent?

Comments

• edited May 13
    Think carefully Carly…….how old is it?
    Although a new one will obviously cost you more, it might be well worthwhile to go for new in the long run.
  • Just over 2 years.
  • What’s wrong with it? I’ve repaired white goods in the past by looking faults up on-line and ordering parts via eBay or direct from the manufacturers. 
  • edited May 13
    espares are good for parts and instructional videos on you tube. There's generally not much going on with a freezer so unless the compressor is knackered, in which case it may be uneconomic, a self-repair might be the best way to go.
  • I had a fridge freezer where the auto defrost had packed up, and the cost of replacing the auto defrost unit was uneconomic.
  • where abouts are you?
  • What’s wrong with it? I’ve repaired white goods in the past by looking faults up on-line and ordering parts via eBay or direct from the manufacturers. 
     It's an American fridge freezer. The freezer is not freezing. Fridge side working fine.I've had a quick look over the evaporator and it doesn't look iced up. Checked the evap fan and that's working ok. Condenser looks ok. Bit of water in the tray below but that's normal. Compressor running continuously so doesn't look like the stat. Wondering if it's lost some gas??
    I had a couple of broken freezer drawers. The price to replace them was around half the price of a whole new freezer! Guess it depends on how old the broken freezer is.
  • Is it not still under warranty? Speak to the manufacturer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rob7Lee said:
    Is it not still under warranty? Speak to the manufacturer.
    probably a premium rate number, will be cheaper to buy a new fridge freezer.
  • edited May 14
    You could try Automatica in Crayford. I’ve not used them for repairs but I’ve heard they are very good. 

They supply/fit and also provide guaranteed repairs for most appliances (apart from cooker hoods).
  • You could try Automatica in Crayford. I’ve not used them for repairs but I’ve heard they are very good. 
    Excellent family run business, not my bag but my current colleague used to work for the manufacturer haier and said they are fantastic at what they do and are very reasonable 
  • edited May 14
    Might not work, but the cheapest thing to try if there's a gas problem is to turn it off, empty it out and turn upside down for a minute or two. Then right it, turn it on and see what happens.  
  • In our American fridge freezer my Wife put too much stuff in the freezer - up the top (inside) there is a grill type thing - took some stuff out of top shelf - it started freezing properly again - guess they need to breath 

Perhaps try that 
  • Thanks for all advice. Not under warranty.
     I've booked a visit tomorrow. I think it's either the compressor not pushing the refrigerant around as it should or a gas leak. Bit what do I know!
    Almost nailed on the fella will say it will be too costly to repair so get a new one! We shall see
  • Thanks for all advice. Not under warranty.
     I've booked a visit tomorrow. I think it's either the compressor not pushing the refrigerant around as it should or a gas leak. Bit what do I know!
    Almost nailed on the fella will say it will be too costly to repair so get a new one! We shall see
    ......And the winner is!

Aaaaarrrgghhhh!!
  • To expensive to repair.

First rule of white goods, either buy very cheap and be prepared to throw it away when it breaks or buy expensive (i.e. Miele) and on the odd time it goes wrong get it repaired. Only last year I gave away a 27 year old Miele fridge freezer, was literally as good as new!
  • Rob7Lee said:
    To expensive to repair.

First rule of white goods, either buy very cheap and be prepared to throw it away when it breaks or buy expensive (i.e. Miele) and on the odd time it goes wrong get it repaired. Only last year I gave away a 27 year old Miele fridge freezer, was literally as good as new!
    I get that. But even Mieles only come with a 2 year warranty don't they??. How much would a repair be on a £3k fridge these days?

Ironically ,I've had a zanussi washing machine that I've kept under warranty and on the odd occasion it goes wrong the repair man fixes it every time. Must be a thing with fridges. Fella condemned it in minutes this morning.
  • Sponsored links:

• So have you turned it upside down yet? For the benefit of the lollers, that's not a joke but sound advice. Sometimes coolants need a helping hand to complete their journeys. 
  • Rob7Lee said:
    To expensive to repair.

I get that. But even Mieles only come with a 2 year warranty don't they??. How much would a repair be on a £3k fridge these days?

Ironically ,I've had a zanussi washing machine that I've kept under warranty and on the odd occasion it goes wrong the repair man fixes it every time. Must be a thing with fridges. Fella condemned it in minutes this morning.
    It's not necessarily about the warranty period but the build quality.

In a past job I used to be a supplier manager for an Insurance company, we spent circa £30m a year on electrical goods so I got to know the suppliers really well.

That was always their advice on white goods. Buy cheap and be prepared to replace on a fairly regular basis or buy expensive/quality.

As I say, the Miele fridge freezer I gave away was 27 years old, had never seen a repair man and bar a slightly lose handle (it had those moveable handles that push the door away from the seal to open and the spring had worn over time). So whilst I suspect it would be 5x the cost of say a Hotpoint or similar it'll last a long long time.
  • Fridges, even cheap ones, are often reliable as they are relatively simple. The advantage of a new fridge is that it is likely to be more energy efficient which is a factor as they are an appliance which is constantly plugged in.
  • I think the trick with white goods is to buy cheap or mid range and be prepared to replace reasonably regularly. The exception I think is with washing machines where you should buy for as much as you can reasonably afford and take out a repair contract. Washing machines are still very mechanical and more likely to break down than appliances that have few if any moving parts.