Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Raspberry Pi

2»

Comments

• One of my daughters' dated a lad who graduated in Coding from Staffs Uni. He went straight into working at Bet365. His starting salary at 21 was around £28k, with significant increases planned ahead. That's pretty good for a young person to start out from uni.

I know here in Sweden there are tons of tech start ups, and there are plenty of ads for coders and courses to learn coding.

Might sound daft, but to the uninitiated, is it too late to have a career segway at 50+ (into this field)?

One of my wife's friends over here, sold an App to Apple about 5 years ago for a tidy sum, thought to be around £3m.
    I'm 44 & that's what I plan to do. I've been in my current job since 2006 & I just want to do something completely different. I work from home full time these days so I have more time to learn, without all the traveling into London & back.

Just to be clear: you don't have a laptop or desktop where you can install Python for free, right?

Because if you do, that's a quick and free way to start learning to code.

I would then recommend VS Code, also free, to write and debug your code.
    No, I don't unfortunately. Well not functional anyhow, I've got a Sony laptop which is about 15 years old & takes 5-10 mins just to do one thing!!
    Evidently you have the Idle junior model
  • edited May 18
    One of my daughters' dated a lad who graduated in Coding from Staffs Uni. He went straight into working at Bet365. His starting salary at 21 was around £28k, with significant increases planned ahead. That's pretty good for a young person to start out from uni.

I know here in Sweden there are tons of tech start ups, and there are plenty of ads for coders and courses to learn coding.

Might sound daft, but to the uninitiated, is it too late to have a career segway at 50+ (into this field)?

One of my wife's friends over here, sold an App to Apple about 5 years ago for a tidy sum, thought to be around £3m.
    I'm 44 & that's what I plan to do. I've been in my current job since 2006 & I just want to do something completely different. I work from home full time these days so I have more time to learn, without all the traveling into London & back.

Just to be clear: you don't have a laptop or desktop where you can install Python for free, right?

No, I don't unfortunately. Well not functional anyhow, I've got a Sony laptop which is about 15 years old & takes 5-10 mins just to do one thing!!
    Another possibility, but you need access to a web browser, is to use the AWS Free Tier from Amazon:

https://aws.amazon.com/free/?all-free-tier.sort-by=item.additionalFields.SortRank&all-free-tier.sort-order=asc&awsf.Free Tier Types=*all&awsf.Free Tier Categories=*all

This has the added advantage that you learn about cloud computing, which is where a lot/most commercial computing happens nowadays.

Edit: I haven't tried the Free Tier, but we are heavy users of AWS at work.
  • edited May 18
    If you have a 15 year old laptop which is working, it will probably be a good platform to learn coding on. I would suspect you might have too many start up programmes which is causing the long delays. If you go to task manager, then start up you will see a list of start up programmes. You might see a lot of junk accumulated over the years. It will also show you the impact the programme has on start up, low, medium or high. If it looks important like windows security, best keep it on but you will probably find a lot of programmes you can disable by clicking on them on the list. I would expect most 15 year old laptops to be fine surfing the web, playing youtube videos etc...

Also, you don't want too many things on your desktop on such an old computer. You may also have a lot of bloat on your harddrive. You should get rid of everything you don't need/rubbish. If the hard drive is pretty full, it will be slower.
  • Seeing some really interesting things for coding around AI. Amazon Q for example, looks like it will make coding accessible for a lot more people in the future. 

For me, the ability for an AI tool to make applications etc based on a prompt from a person in the future will be a huge step forward in productivity. 
  • One of my daughters' dated a lad who graduated in Coding from Staffs Uni. He went straight into working at Bet365. His starting salary at 21 was around £28k, with significant increases planned ahead. That's pretty good for a young person to start out from uni.

Another possibility, but you need access to a web browser, is to use the AWS Free Tier from Amazon:

https://aws.amazon.com/free/?all-free-tier.sort-by=item.additionalFields.SortRank&all-free-tier.sort-order=asc&awsf.Free Tier Types=*all&awsf.Free Tier Categories=*all

This has the added advantage that you learn about cloud computing, which is where a lot/most commercial computing happens nowadays.

Edit: I haven't tried the Free Tier, but we are heavy users of AWS at work.
    Cool, thank you. I'll take a look this evening.