Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

David Wilkie RIP

British Olympic swimming champion David Wilkie has died at the age of 70.

The Scot won 200m breaststroke gold in Montreal in 1976, as well as two Olympic silver medals and three world titles.

His family released a statement saying: “It is with great sadness that the family of David Wilkie MBE announce that he died peacefully surrounded by his family this morning, following his brave battle with cancer.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/swimming/articles/c3ggndekv8lo

Comments

• Options
    Blimey so sad.  RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    What shame,RIP
  • Options
    Oh dear oh dear. How sad that is. A real British sporting icon and a classy chap to boot. 

RIP David
  • Options
    RIP David. You were a true great in your sport.
  • Options
    Sleep tight, David.
  • Options
    One of my heroes when I was a young breaststroke swimmer.
    I still remember that 2:15:11 for the 200m breaststroke and thinking it was superhuman.
    RIP David Wilkie.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    A true great. 

Smashed the world record in the 200 metres by three seconds at the 1976 Montreal Olympics - he also won Silver in the 100 metres. 

We only won 4 medals in the athletics and swimming at Montreal - his two, a swimming bronze in a relay and Brendan Foster's bronze in the 10,000 metres.  David Wilkie was the stand out sportsman of the era.

RIP David.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    R I P
  • Options
    A true great. 

Smashed the world record in the 200 metres by three seconds at the 1976 Montreal Olympics - he also won Silver in the 100 metres. 

We only won 4 medals in the athletics and swimming at Montreal - his two, a swimming bronze in a relay and Brendan Foster's bronze in the 10,000 metres.  David Wilkie was the stand out sportsman of the era.

RIP David.
    The first Olympics that I can remember RIP DW.
  • Options
    RIP. A great swimmer and national icon, and I guess a major reason why breaststroke has been a strong event for GB for the last 40 years, right through to Adam Peatty now.
  • Options
    Sporting icon. Very sad. RIP 
  • Options
    RIP…..David…..RIP.