Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Brian Moore Saved Our Sundays and LWT at The Valley

13»

Comments

• A young Martin Tyler on the right?
  • Here is another picture I used in the book (among dozens of exclusive photos I was given by the families of many commentators of old like Brian Moore, Hugh Johns and Gerald Sinstadt). If you can name more than two people in this shot, I will be very impressed.
    Graham Garden?
  • Here is another picture I used in the book (among dozens of exclusive photos I was given by the families of many commentators of old like Brian Moore, Hugh Johns and Gerald Sinstadt). If you can name more than two people in this shot, I will be very impressed.
    Is one of them Harry Carpenter ?
    ‘Fraid not 
  • Gerry Harrison?
  • 2nd from left really looks like my late Uncle Bernard?
  • seth plum said:
    A young Martin Tyler on the right?
    No I'm afraid not.
    Graham Garden?
    Does look a bit like him but no.
  • Here's an easier one: Big William said:
    Gerry Harrison?
    Fraid not William - though I did interview him for the book and his recollections of covering that fabulous Ipswich side of the 1970s and early 80s was great to hear.
  • Peter Brackley
  • Hugh Johns
  • Sponsored links:

Is one of them Harry Carpenter ?
    No.
  • edited June 24
    Good book, this
  • Good book, this
    Thanks I’m glad you’re enjoying it. Hope it takes you back! 
  • Don't know if this link will work but I was on the Hawksbee and Jacobs show yesterday discussing the book. Unfortunately I couldn't shoe horn a reference to Charlton in.

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/3b1434c982e391492ce41dae53f5dc9d20240626154145/824284ea8fc0401d91695ccf6ade96d020240626154145/eef962
  • Simonsen said:
    I was fortunate to know Brian well, and can only endorse what others have said, in that he was one of the nicest people I have ever met. Looking forward to reading this book.
    I would have loved to have met him. For me, he was the voice of London football and his enthusiasm for the game just shone through. No cliches, no silly attempts with "clever" humour.....just talked about the football and got genuinely excited by what he saw.

Watching any of those games, you could say Brian Moore had a soft-spot for every London club and I think he really did. The feeling was mutual....he was the best. 
    I will pass that on to this sons, Chris and Simon. 
    Thanks Matt....that's lovely mate.
  • Seth has hit the nail on the head. Brian Moore totally respected the players for their efforts alone, irrespective of their ability or the outcome of the action. He made the game about the players, managers and the action....nothing more.

Sadly, it's a style that has become unfashionable these days, as analysts pick every action apart....with a lot of "the keeper should do better there" type comments. As if players are machines and should all be able to play 90 mins at a faultless level.

A lot of the joy seems to have been lost now but it still comes through on all those old Brian Moore commentaries. One man's style & enthusiasm, allowing the viewer to feel that they were at the match themselves. That's some skill.