Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Swindon's Ady Williams ahead of tonight

edited August 2007 in General Charlton
from the Western Daily Press

Swindon Town defender Ady Williams expects some old friends to take Charlton Athletic back to the Premier League - but he wants their Carling Cup hopes to end in the first round tonight.

Williams will be reunited with three familiar faces from his days at Reading when Charlton arrive at the County Ground.

Manager Alan Pardew took Williams back to Reading for a second spell in 2001 as he began the revolution that would eventually see them become a Premiership side.

Pardew's assistant at Charlton, Phil Parkinson, remains one of Williams' closest friends in the game.

And sports science expert Niall Clarke is another contemporary from the former Welsh international's days at the Madejski Stadium who has made the switch to South London.

"I spoke to Phil Parkinson on Saturday and I am looking forward to seeing all three of them again," said Williams.

"Alan turned an average Championship side into one that could challenge for a place in the top flight and I really enjoyed my time there.

"He will be looking to take Charlton straight back up now and their supporters will expect that.

"They have spent big after losing Darren Bent and the pressure is on him to achieve promotion.

"I think they have a great chance, but the proof will be in the pudding."

While Williams is backing Pardew to mount a Championship promotion charge, he is confident his current team-mates can upset his old boss tonight.

"We are at home and are only a division below Charlton. I don't think it would be that much of a shock if we beat them," said Williams.

"They are the favourites but evening games at the County Ground have that little bit of added atmosphere about them.

"We are fairly confident without being overconfident."

Long-term injury victim Williams will only be able to look on from the sidelines tonight, but he knows all about the threat the visitors pose.

Summer signing Izale McLeod is expected to line up for Charlton after his switch from MK Dons.

Williams, who faced the striker on two occasions last season, said: "McLeod can score goals and he has got the pace to scare defenders.

"We kept him fairly quiet when we played against him last season but he can be a real handful.

"He has scored consistently over the last few seasons and I am surprised someone didn't take a chance on him earlier.

"They have got plenty of ammunition, though. Marcus Bent, Svetoslav Todorov and Chris Iwelumo can also cause you problems."

Swindon wideman Sofiane Zaaboub faces a late fitness test after suffering a knock at Northampton Town on Saturday.

Manager Paul Sturrock is expected to make a number of changes to the side that opened the League One campaign with a 1-1 draw at Sixfields.

Swindon (from): Brezovan, P Smith, J Smith, Comminges, Blackburn, Aljofree, Vincent, Ifil, Roberts, Zaaboub, Pook, Adams, Easton, Peacock, Sturrock, Arrieta.

http://www.westerndailypress.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=145787&command=displayContent&sourceNode=145780&contentPK=18104801&folderPk=100269&pNodeId=145803

Comments

• Options
    Don't you just love footballers quotes sometimes;

"I think they have a great chance, but the proof will be in the pudding." = I really don't know

"We are fairly confident without being overconfident." = I really don't know
  • Options
    It'll be interesting to learn about our collective character tonight. With poss exception of Todorov, I didn't feel anyone showed any superiority complex on Saturday; Pardew had clearly hammered home the message about starting equal. Tonight though, it will understandably mean more to Swindon. Even if we win, nobody will get terribly excited over drawing a big gun in the next round, whereas for them there's the thrill and the financial reward. Not sure we've really "spent big" but it's all relative, so perhaps we appear glamorous at this stage.