Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pards: Cup not that important

edited August 2007 in General Charlton
From the KM:

CHARLTON visit newly-promoted League 1 club Swindon in the first round of the Carling Cup tonight with manager Alan Pardew admitting that the competition does not figure high among his priorities.

He said: "In all honesty, the competition does not figure high on my agenda. We'll try and win tonight _ that goes without saying. But I'll make no bones about it to Charlton fans, my priority is the league."

The Addicks boss is likely to name the same side that opened the season with Saturday's 1-1 draw with Scunthorpe. "My first inclination is to go with an unchanged side because I want to bed them in as quickly as possible."

With a difficult match at Stoke on Saturday, Pardew is unlikely to risk midfielder Jerome Thomas, who missed the start of the season with a hamstring strain. Striker Luke Varney is still two weeks away from being available after sustaining an ankle injury in last month's friendly against Chelsea.

http://www.kent-online.co.uk/sport/default.asp?article_id=33868&startrecord=-1.

Comments

• Options
    exactly what I'd have expected him to say really....
  • Options
    Whilst I agree with Pards completely I can't help but remember the flak Curbs used to get when he said something similar!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Whilst I agree with Pards completely I can't help but remember the flak Curbs used to get when he said something similar!
    pards is untouchable and curbs is bad news round here len!!
  • Options
    Perhaps the only real importance tonight is how the performance affects players FOR the league. Result itself really isn't that important, except how affects confidence / morale. Defeat so soon after the disappointment of not winning could upset some (esp in the stands), but this time there really is a bigger pictutre. Saw enough Saturday still to be excited - we just need patience, and tonight could be an important stepping stone to finding the best combinations.
  • Options
    This will be Pards first Cup Team selection for us, I was hoping he would pick a fairly strong side as our record in this competition is pathetic. Surely picking a strong side & winning can only breed confidence?
  • Options
    CUrbs didn't say enything like that did he .... more along the lines of we're in it to win it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]CUrbs didn't say enything like that did he .... more along the lines of we're in it to win it.

FA Cup loss to Forest ....
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]This will be Pards first Cup Team selection for us
    .... apart from Forest!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]This will be Pards first Cup Team selection for us, I was hoping he would pick a fairly strong side as our record in this competition is pathetic. Surely picking a strong side & winning can only breed confidence?
    apart from Forest ...

Crikey that was a shocker as well oops :-)
  • Options
    it is best forgotten to be fair!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curbs was always trying to maintain the status quo (premierhip survival) and try to do something in the cups. Pards has got a very definite target of getting us promoted. Whilst I'd love us to play a strong team and rip Swindon apart and go on to win the cup, I know the league is the really important thing this year.
  • Options
    What? This is one of only 2 chances Charlton have of ensuring European football next season, and Pards thinks its unimportant??? Sack the man!
  • Options
    erm don't think it is one of them mate... I could be wrong of course.
  • Options
    Cunning, you remind me of that Monty Python sketch about the bloke going to an office for an argument.

"That wasn't arguing, it was just contradiction...".
  • Options
    "Arguing isn't just saying no it isn't"

"Yes it is"

"No it isn't"
  • Options
    LOL...
  • Options
    ....Do you want 5 minutes or the full half hour?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]"Arguing isn't just saying no it isn't"

"Yes it is"

"No it isn't"

"It can be"