Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Darren Bent/England

I suppose now that he's playing with the big boys he will not only get picked for the next England squad but will also get on the pitch this time.

It's amazing how much better a player you become when you sign one piece of paper (i.e. a contract with a big club).

Comments

• Options
    I remember back in the days I was a Luton fan, Mitchell Thomas was a cracking full back and deserved an England call up, but it never came. Then he went to Spurs, and hey presto, he was in the very next England squad announced. At least Sven looked beyond the big five (as it was then).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]I remember back in the days I was a Luton fan, Mitchell Thomas was a cracking full back and deserved an England call up, but it never came. Then he went to Spurs, and hey presto, he was in the very next England squad announced. At least Sven looked beyond the big five (as it was then).

Algarve, there's so much wrong with this post - I just don't know where to start!
    ;o)
  • Options
    I'll get me coat...
  • Options
    And if he's banging them in by Christmas, prepare to be told what a good player he's "become"; how his game's "improved". We're always told how a player should move on to "better his game" as though he couldn't possibly be coached well at a club the size of Charlton / Southampton etc. Defies logic but keeps everyone in their place.
  • Options
    Do not dis-agree on this point but McLaren may HAVE to play Bent as No Rooney, Crouch, Owen etc although I would not be surprised to see him play someone out of position like Gerrard up front to keep his team made up of primarily ManU Chels Liverpool.
  • Options
    why no Owen?
  • Options
    Supposed to be injured at the moment (Close to returning) but has played less than ten competitive games in 12 months.
  • Options
    oh, I presumed he must be fully fit by now!!
  • Options
    Made me laugh reading McClaren talking about Spurs. Said what great signings they had made etc etc.

So great, that he never wanted to play the main one.
  • Options
    I hope Bent does get picked because I like him and think he's a great player. But he was only on the bench on Saturday. If he gets picked when he's only a sub for Spurs and yet was ignored while he was banging them in for us, that will just say it all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bottle of champagne to the first person who can find a previous CL post that starts with 'i remember back in the days i was a luton fan'.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=461

Champagne please :-)
  • Options
    ha ha, really hope Salad hasn't got expensive tastes Les !!

Finally people see the benefits of the Search facility !!
  • Options
    I read Alan Shearers season preview and he said if Darren Bent scores regularly this year he's guaranteed a place in the England team.
    Wheres he been for the last 2 years?
    Playing soggy biscuit with Lawro, Stubbsy and Lineker, thats what.
  • Options
    i'm starting to have flashbacks of a conversation with salad in the pub a while back telling me he was from luton.

sparkling wine?
  • Options
    Sorry Les, but Champagne was the bet.
  • Options
    post is edited. stewards enquiry?
  • Options
    rumbled ... drat ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sir John Humphrey[/cite]I read Alan Shearers season preview and he said if Darren Bent scores regularly this year he's guaranteed a place in the England team.
    Wheres he been for the last 2 years?
    Playing soggy biscuit with Lawro, Stubbsy and Lineker, thats what.
    In fairness, I think Shearer has always rated Dazza.
  • Options
    Not good enough for the latest squad?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Injured for too long - off the radar.
  • Options
    What ? Really ?

I can't help but feel that when DB retires England will realise they missed an opportunity to give a truly fantastic natural finisher more game time.
  • Options
    Has hardly been in form, injured a lot recently.
  • Options
    Well, I was right, wasn't I?
  • Options

Opta stats say he hasn't even had a shot this season .
  • Options

Opta stats say he hasn't even had a shot this season .
    well, he scored the other night !

• Options
    Ah, but was it a shot?
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I used to get so pissed off with this. I remember thinking he was guaranteed a place in the 06 World cup squad and then Sven went and chose Walcott instead who hadn't even played a Prem game at the time, bloody ridiculous!!!!!!!!!