Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

U21s pre season tour of Jamaica 2024

edited July 15 in General Charlton
https://www.charltonafc.com/news/u21s-travel-jamaica-pre-season-tour

Following the club’s partnership with leading Jamaican football academy Mount Pleasant, Charlton’s U21s travelled to Jamaica on Saturday as part of their pre-season schedule.

Chris Lock’s side will face Mount Pleasant FC today at 4pm local time (10pm BST), before playing another game four days later in Jamaica.

The trip to the Caribbean comes after the young Addicks played their first game of pre-season against Millwall U21s at Sparrows Lane on Thursday. Goals from Patrick Casey, Ryan Huke and Micah Mbick helped Charlton to a 3-0 win in that game.

Once the U21s return from Jamaica they will travel to East Sussex to face Eastbourne Borough on Saturday, July 27th (KO 3pm BST), in a repeat of last pre-season’s 1-1 draw. 

After that, the young Addicks travel to Tonbridge Angels, another side they met ahead of the 2023/24 season. This time around the game will take place on Tuesday, July 30th (KO 7.45pm BST). 

The penultimate game of pre-season will come at Wolverhampton Wanderers U21s on Saturday, August 3rd (KO 2pm BST). The teams faced off twice last season in the Premier League Cup, with each claiming a 2-0 win.

Finally, the Addicks will round out their pre-season with a game against Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday, August 10th, before the season begins the following week.

Charlton U21s' remaining pre-season fixtures:

Monday, July 15th vs Mount Pleasant FC (KO 10pm BST)

Friday, July 19th vs TBC (KO TBC)

Saturday, July 27th vs Eastbourne Borough (a) (KO 3pm BST)

Tuesday, July 30th vs Tonbridge Angels (a) (KO 7.45pm BST)

Saturday, August 3rd vs Wolves U21s (a) (KO 2pm BST)

Saturday, August 10th vs Tottenham U21s (location and KO TBC)

Comments

• Blimey, wonder what the cost of that is.  Great experience for them all.
  • An amazing trip for the youngsters, lets hope the weather stays good.
  • Blimey, wonder what the cost of that is.  Great experience for them all.
    Don't forget though. The owners haven't spent money. Lol
  • That did elicit a wow! Well done the club 
  • redbuttle said:
    Blimey, wonder what the cost of that is.  Great experience for them all.

Has anyone said they haven't spent money?  If so, I have not seen it.
  • Nice! (or should I say irie!)

...and thank you for beating the Spanners btw.

Have fun in the sun.
  • Who else has gone along to represent the club?
  • Sponsored links:

• redbuttle said:

Loads of people, especially the back end of the season, the pitch is paid for by grants not the owners, we can't match the wages of Wrexham and a club in Hungary, they're just in it to flip the club, they need investment from a flier in Texas blah blah blah
  • sam3110 said:
    redbuttle said:

Loads of people, especially the back end of the season, the pitch is paid for by grants not the owners, we can't match the wages of Wrexham and a club in Hungary, they're just in it to flip the club, they need investment from a flier in Texas blah blah blah
    Don’t forget they are going to slash the academy budget and sell all of our best youngsters just to pocket the cash
  • sam3110 said:
    redbuttle said:

Saying we can't match wages of Wrexham isn't saying they aren't spending any money.
    Saying they want to flip the club isn't saying they aren't spending any money.
    Pitch paid for by grants is one item but isn't saying they aren't spending any money.
    I think every fan knows they spent £12M buying us and we lose £8M + per year. 
    People have questioned certain things. It's not the same.

• edited July 15
    AndyG said:
    sam3110 said:
    redbuttle said:

Don’t forget they are going to slash the academy budget and sell all of our best youngsters just to pocket the cash

Was said before they bought us given a brochure which named all the people on our SMT before they were publicly named. It was a reasonable concern at the time. It hasnt happened.  Most people have therefore moved on. Good.
  • sam3110 said:
    redbuttle said:

Saying we can't match wages of Wrexham isn't saying they aren't spending any money.
    Saying they want to flip the club isn't saying they aren't spending any money.
    Pitch paid for by grants is one item but isn't saying they aren't spending any money.
    I think every fan knows they spent £12M buying us and we lose £8M + per year. 
    People have questioned certain things. It's not the same.

Ducking and diving around the main consensus that links those points, that they're not here to spend their own money, and you know that's what the people saying these things the loudest was alluding to.
  • Anyway I don't want to derail this thread entirely. I think it's a fantastic opportunity for our youngsters and hopefully the start of a very fruitful partnership in Jamaica 
  • Who’s the keeper, is that MacLorg? See he signed a pro deal the other day and his brother has joined the academy U9’s.
  • Can anyone name that XI?
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:
    Can anyone name that XI?
    Scott Fraser, bottom row second from the right.
  • edited July 16
    sam3110 said:
    Can anyone name that XI?

My guess of the team pic comparing it to the u18 pics of last year

Rylah, Kedwell, Enslin, Maclorg, Mbick, Mwamba(?)
    Bower, Gough, Fullah(?), Hunter, Brown(?)

• lineup in team photo back L to R correct as per Athletico
    front row L to R Huke,Gough, King (T) Hunter, and Brown.
    player in the action photo is Manu Wales. Lost 2-0 to Mount Pleasant mens team. Play them again on Friday k.o.8-30 Jamaica time then flight
    home.
  • edited July 17
    lineup in team photo back L to R correct as per Athletico
    player in the action photo is Manu Wales. Lost 2-0 to Mount Pleasant mens team. Play them again on Friday k.o.8-30 Jamaica time then flight
    home.
    NJ out.  :D
  • Richard King? 22, central defender plays in Jamaica for Cavalier and the national team? Or a different King?
  • I've heard that rocky otto, Dean chandler and Bowyer have offered to make up the numbers if anyone gets a knock 🍁 
  • edited July 17
    lineup in team photo back L to R correct as per Athletico
    home.

Do you know anything about King - assume the T means trialist? Has he travelled with us or is he Jamaican?

Also, I noticed our U18 and U21 squads have been updated on the website today which is good and shows some gaps to fill.
  • There is an Amarlie King who is a midfielder for Arnett Gardens and seems to be about 18 or so..