Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Top 5/Favourite Westerns

124»

Comments

• The era of westerns had ended by my time (I'm 55) but there's some great modern ones - The English, Godless, Deadwood, the Yellowstone prequels and Bass Reece spin off
  • Gribbo said:
    Anyone heard of a film called the Apple Dumpling Gang? Remember me and my brother used to walk up the Standard and rent it out D and G Video shop up there, years ago 
    No but they used to have Debbie does Dallas which could be a western i suppose.
    Do you remember the video shop?
  • Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Anyone heard of a film called the Apple Dumpling Gang? Remember me and my brother used to walk up the Standard and rent it out D and G Video shop up there, years ago 
    Think so but long time since i lived near the Standard,
  • Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Think so but long time since i lived near the Standard,
    Yeah I'm going back probably 35 years. It was opposite The Standard pub, near Sun Ya restaurant. Used to be up there all the time. It was the nearest one to Charlton at the time lol
  • edited October 10
    McBobbin said:
    Thought I'd see Blazing Saddles get more love. That's a top 5 of all time for me!
    When I saw it I thought it was a brilliant satire and one of the funniest films ever made.
    When I came to watch it much later with my children I found myself verbalising all sorts of caveats before they watched it.
    If I ever have grandchildren of an age to watch it, I'll swerve it because I'd be embarrassed if they thought grandad thinks it would be okay.
    Make of that what you will, I don't really want to get involved in a wider discussion.
    Interestingly Mel Brooks has described it as "an anti-racist film", but I bet nobody shows it anymore

He wrote it with Richard Pryor and it definitely sent up racists as idiots... But you wouldn't show up racism in a comedy now I doubt. Or punch a horse.

Edit: I completely know what you mean though 
  • Any western with Clint Eastwood in 
  • Another one I've thought of that I don't think I've seen mentioned is The Homesman. It's a real bummer but a great film
    I am going to give that one a go at the weekend.
    I have been trying to ctach up with some of the new millenium westerns recently, as I had become a bit stuck in the Eastwood era. (I admit one of the faults of my ageing self is becoming set in my ways and resistent to new stuff)
    I have seen and enjoyed Bone Tomahawk, Hostiles, Django Unchained, The Hateful Eight and a few others.
    I enjoyed The Homesman, although not a cheerful film. Bone Tomahawk was a bit too gratuitous for me.
  • Just see one about 11 cowboys getting bushwacked by a Greek pose
  • Love westerns, can’t get enough of em. 
    No particular order, these spring to mind. 

The searchers 
    Stagecoach
    High Noon
    The Good The Bad & The Ugly
    Dual at Diablo
  • PeterGage said:
    Another one I've thought of that I don't think I've seen mentioned is The Homesman. It's a real bummer but a great film
    I am going to give that one a go at the weekend.
    I have been trying to ctach up with some of the new millenium westerns recently, as I had become a bit stuck in the Eastwood era. (I admit one of the faults of my ageing self is becoming set in my ways and resistent to new stuff)
    I have seen and enjoyed Bone Tomahawk, Hostiles, Django Unchained, The Hateful Eight and a few others.
    Given the era you are looking at, you might like to watch "Son of the Morning Star", which follows the parallel lives of George Armstrong Custer and Crazy Horse and finishing just after the Battle of the Little Big Horn. It can be seen on YouTube.
    I'll check it out, thanks
  • Sponsored links:

• Tough to limit it to 5 so I'll cheat a bit.  I won't include Fistful of Dollars/ For a Few Dollars More/The Good, The Bad and The Ugly as they go without saying and take up 3 spaces!

Classics:

The Magnificent Seven

The Big Country

Rio Bravo

High Noon

The Searchers

Modern:

Unforgiven

The Outlaw Josey Wales

Tombstone

True Grit (2010)

Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid

Under-rated Honourable Mentions,

Silverado

The Sisters Brothers

They Call Me Trinity

3:10 to Yuma (original or remake)

Dead Man

• Worst one was comfortably, one I saw on TCM a couple of yrs ago called The Hired Gun. An example of a western just being churned out. Truly bad. 
  • Legend of the Golden Gun is a masterclass in how not to make a western 
  • The Outlaw Josey Wales (Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?)
    The Good The Bad And The Ugly (There are two kinds of people in this world, those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.)
    Once Upon A Time In The West (You brought two too many)
    High Noon (tick, tick, tick, then the train whistling)
    The Searchers (That'll be the day)
  • Unforgiven
    The Great Silence
    The Good, The Bad & The Ugly
    Outlaw Josey Wales
    The original Django
  • High Noon, The searchers, True Grit,
    High Plane Drifter,  unforgiven.
    A bit of a cheat here's like both versions of True Grit.
  • msomerton said:
    High Noon, The searchers, True Grit,
    High Plane Drifter,  unforgiven.
    A bit of a cheat here's like both versions of True Grit.
    I actually prefer the remake of True Grit . 
  • Searching through my video library I noted three other stars who made great Westerns.

James Stewart linked up with Director Anthony Mann to make  a series of hard hitting Westerns during the 1950s (Winchester 73 and Bend in the River being two of them).

Charlton Heston was the flawed hero in Major Dundee in the mid 1960s (Sam Peckinpah's much cut but interesting study of command).

Burt Lancaster made two splendid Westerns at the end of the 60s: Valdez Is Coming and Ulzana's Raid.

• Hell or High Water is not a Western ffs
    Yes it is . Not all westerns involve cowboys and horses 
    Nor even glowering lawmen in clichéd headgear
  • Missed It said:
    Tough to limit it to 5 so I'll cheat a bit.  I won't include Fistful of Dollars/ For a Few Dollars More/The Good, The Bad and The Ugly as they go without saying and take up 3 spaces!

Classics:

The Magnificent Seven

The Big Country

Rio Bravo

High Noon

The Searchers

Modern:

Unforgiven

The Outlaw Josey Wales

Tombstone

True Grit (2010)

Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid

Under-rated Honourable Mentions,

Silverado

The Sisters Brothers

They Call Me Trinity

3:10 to Yuma (original or remake)

Dead Man

Really enjoyed the book sisters brothers. The film was good but I'm glad I read the book first. 
  • Sponsored links:

• i remember watching a western set in the rockies i believe as there was snow, had Jack Nicholson as co star. they were camped out in a cabin and were being chased. saw it once many years ago but cant seem to find it in his filmography. 
    Missouri Breaks - with Marlon Brando?
  • Heaven’s Gate - one of the best films ever made and possibly the greatest Western. Needs to be seen on the big screen and director’s cut version

Valdez is coming - Burt Lancaster

Ulzana’s Raid - Burt again

The Cowboys - Duke and Bruce Dern

Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid - Peckinpah and a Dylan soundtrack