Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wasps rugby club

I had a phone call from a work mate asking if I new anything about wasps rugby club playing at charltons ground or training ground.if anyone can give information on this matter, it will be much appreciated.thanks

Comments

• edited October 9
    See the Methven at Bromley Addicks thread

Q: WASPS at the Valley?

There have been discussions but very notional "if we, WASPS, got into a league that warranted a big ground would you, Charlton, consider it?"

A long shot, unlikely in the short term. Long term if it helped secure our future it could be good but less likely.
  • Thanks Clive and Henry I take it’s a maybe.
  • I'm pretty certain, on the Wasps website, it said they're looking for somewhere in the Midlands.

Makes sense, as their last ground was the Ricoh.
  • "As part of proposals accepted by the sport’s governing body, a groundshare agreement has been reached with a Midlands venue – which will be announced in the near future – to host its home games."
  • They’ve got their own Andy Scott, as if things weren’t bad enough 
  • I'm highly sceptical about this ever happening, but Wasps have been talking about building a new stadium in Swanley, so their new owners clearly want to be in this part of the world, rather than the Midlands now.
  • The word on the street is that Wasps are expected to be re-admitted into the playing pyramid at Championship level from September 2025. This has come from a source in the Kent RFU so watch this space! 
  • Sponsored links:

• There's now a statement on the Wasps website that they are applying for a place in tier 2 and their focus will be on Kent and Greater London. I wonder where they could possibly be intending to share until they can get their own ground together. The announcement doesn't say, but they must have a deal lined up or their application would get rejected out of hand.
  • Thursday, 10 October 2024

Wasps are pleased to announce that they have formally submitted an Expression of Interest to the RFU for entry into the new Tier 2 professional rugby league. This marks a significant step forward in a two-year journey after entering administration.

As part of this journey, Wasps are committed to re-establishing themselves in the South East of England, with a particular focus on the county of Kent and Greater London. We have been working closely with stakeholders to ensure a smooth and successful transition to our new home.

Christopher Holland, Owner of Wasps, commented:

“It has been a challenging two years for Wasps during which time we have worked tirelessly to rebuild a great club. From securing key assets to laying the groundwork for a sustainable future, our efforts have always been focused on returning Wasps to a league that shares our values and to be able to compete at the highest level. Submitting our Expression of Interest for Tier 2 is a key milestone in our recovery. We fully respect the open tender process and remain committed to providing more updates as this process progresses."

2025 is also an important and pivotal year for Wasps Women, who were also impacted by the administration. The club continues to work hard to find a suitable competition for them, ensuring they too can return to the highest level of the game. We will keep supporters informed of our progress when there is more to share.

Share this item

TIER 2 LEAGUE MINIMUM OPERATING STANDARDS: SEASON 2025/26TIER 2
    LEAGUE MINIMUM OPERATING STANDARDS: SEASON 2025/26

2.3 Primacy of
    tenure
    Essential: With regard to the scheduling of Home Matches the
    Club must demonstrate that it can comply with the following:
    (a) the requirements of any Broadcaster within a reasonable
    period following notice of those requirements; and
    (b) play its Home Match (if applicable) in the final round of the
    Tier 2 League matches at any kick-off time on the
    afternoons of both Saturday and Sunday of the last
    weekend of each Season in order to ensure simultaneous
    kick off times for all final round matches.
    [TBC] shall be entitled to grant an exemption to the
    requirements in (b) of this Primacy of Tenure MOS to a
    maximum of four Clubs in each season.

2.4 Capacity The minimum Total Licensed Capacity requirements for a
    Club’s Principal Home Ground are as follows:
    (a) Essential: 2,000
    i) A minimum of 200 seats;
    ii) A minimum of 500 covered places (including seated

Page 8
    and/or standing).
    (b) Phased Essential: 2,999
    i) A minimum of 400 covered seats;
    ii) A minimum of 800 covered places (including seated
    and/or standing)
    (c) Aspirational: 5,000
    i) A minimum of 600 covered seats;
    ii) A minimum of 1200 covered places (including seated
    and/or standing)

So the Valley is just about big enough and the RFU can wave the Primacy of Tenure rule for four clubs.
  • The Valley would way too big for the early stages of Wasps, but the non league clubs would be too small for the next phase and their pitches not good enough to cope with football and rugby anyway, so either The Valley or The Den would seem to be the only options?
  • The Valley would way too big for the early stages of Wasps, but the non league clubs would be too small for the next phase and their pitches not good enough to cope with football and rugby anyway, so either The Valley or The Den would seem to be the only options?
    Gillingham?
  • edited October 10

Thursday, 10 October 2024

Wasps are pleased to announce that they have formally submitted an Expression of Interest to the RFU for entry into the new Tier 2 professional rugby league. This marks a significant step forward in a two-year journey after entering administration.

As part of this journey, Wasps are committed to re-establishing themselves in the South East of England, with a particular focus on the county of Kent and Greater London. We have been working closely with stakeholders to ensure a smooth and successful transition to our new home.

“It has been a challenging two years for Wasps during which time we have worked tirelessly to rebuild a great club. From securing key assets to laying the groundwork for a sustainable future, our efforts have always been focused on returning Wasps to a league that shares our values and to be able to compete at the highest level. Submitting our Expression of Interest for Tier 2 is a key milestone in our recovery. We fully respect the open tender process and remain committed to providing more updates as this process progresses."

2025 is also an important and pivotal year for Wasps Women, who were also impacted by the administration. The club continues to work hard to find a suitable competition for them, ensuring they too can return to the highest level of the game. We will keep supporters informed of our progress when there is more to share.

Share this item

2.3 Primacy of
    tenure

Page 8
    and/or standing).
    and/or standing)
    and/or standing)

So the Valley is just about big enough and the RFU can wave the Primacy of Tenure rule for four clubs.
    I don't see how The Valley can possibly fulfill their requirements, as both Saturdays and Sundays being problematic, with the potential of both the men and women's teams playing there.

Unless the think they can just tell us to "Fack off!"
  • SteveACS said:

Thursday, 10 October 2024

Share this item

2.3 Primacy of
    tenure

Page 8
    and/or standing).
    and/or standing)
    and/or standing)

I don't see how The Valley can possibly fulfill their requirements, as both Saturdays and Sundays being problematic, with the potential of both the men and women's teams playing there.

Unless the think they can just tell us to "Fack off!"
    That bit only matters for them for the final game of the season (whenever that is). Both men and women play 50% of their games away from home so finding dates for most games wouldn't be an issue
  • Would it be an issue with the council and getting a licence for more events at theValley?
  • iaitch said:
    Would it be an issue with the council and getting a licence for more events at theValley?
    Yes
  • Rugby's rules about primacy of tenure are pretty much theoretical. Loads of clubs share with football and get second pick on fixture dates. I reckon they could share at a League ground and just be told they will always be away on the last day of the season. 
  • Sponsored links:

I wonder if they may use a ground like Maidstone initially as they have a 3G pitch? I would think Maidstone is slightly further out from London than they would like but Kent/ SE London does have a large rugby community they are obviously wanting to tap in to. Not sure if there are other non-league teams with plastic pitches closer to London.
  • Do they still have a rugby pitch at the Rectory Field?
  • A shit show of a club, used to work for Nat West back in early nineties and their bank account then in the amateur days was bloody horrendous.
  • Nug said:
    The Valley would way too big for the early stages of Wasps, but the non league clubs would be too small for the next phase and their pitches not good enough to cope with football and rugby anyway, so either The Valley or The Den would seem to be the only options?
    I wonder if they may use a ground like Maidstone initially as they have a 3G pitch? I would think Maidstone is slightly further out from London than they would like but Kent/ SE London does have a large rugby community they are obviously wanting to tap in to. Not sure if there are other non-league teams with plastic pitches closer to London.
    Don't think the pitch would be Rugby ready, the artificial surfaces in rugby tend to have pretty big shock pads under the surface
  • Bristol City never seem to have many problem sharing with the Bristol Bears. If it gave us more money to use on the pitch i'd be all for it. As long as it remains fully Charlton branded.
  • I'd be asking for all the money upfront, no refunds. 

Schysters
  • Bristol City never seem to have many problem sharing with the Bristol Bears. If it gave us more money to use on the pitch i'd be all for it. As long as it remains fully Charlton branded.
    You do realise this was a Rugby club that went into administration owing 95 million pounds. How many businesses   trading with them lost their money. So why will it be different this time.
    Do not trust this new con.
  • iaitch said:
    Do they still have a rugby pitch at the Rectory Field?
    Yes. Old Askeans play there but the ground is not up to professional standards now.
  • Crusty54 said:
    iaitch said:
    Yes. Old Askeans play there but the ground is not up to professional standards now.
    What happened to Broad Walk where Askeans were based back in the day?
  • LenGlover said:
    Crusty54 said:
    iaitch said:
    What happened to Broad Walk where Askeans were based back in the day?
    That's Charlton Park's ground now