Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

MFI 70s furniture

What was the name of the cheap, white, modular flat packed stuff that MFI made in the 70s? 
Been trying to think of the name for the last couple of days and it’s driving me mad.
Have asked friends but so far ‘Formica’, g-plan, f-plan are the suggestions but don’t sound right. I’m sure it began with an M.

Comments

• Hygena?
    I remember the name but I think it was a make of furniture that MFI sold rather than their own brand.
  • Conti board, melamine? 
  • Schrieber?
  • Schrieber?
    I think they were the ‘posh end’ furniture that did bedrooms?
  • Conti board, melamine? 
    Doesn’t ring a bell
    this could drive me mad!
  • Can’t help other than to rule out G-Plan furniture which is lovely stuff that definitely isn’t cheap!
  • Conti board, melamine? 
    Mr Tatters thinks melamine is possible
  • From wiki

Its products were mainly targeted to value oriented customers with the "Hygena" brand, and those on a higher income with the "Schreiber" brand. MFI was also one of the largest suppliers of installed appliances in the United Kingdom with its own brand "Diplomat". In the early 1990s it also introduced the "Pronto" brand for its budget self assembly furniture which was aimed directly at IKEA.
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:
    From wiki

Its products were mainly targeted to value oriented customers with the "Hygena" brand, and those on a higher income with the "Schreiber" brand. MFI was also one of the largest suppliers of installed appliances in the United Kingdom with its own brand "Diplomat". In the early 1990s it also introduced the "Pronto" brand for its budget self assembly furniture which was aimed directly at IKEA.
    Thank you! Hygena it is then. It still doesn’t sound quite right to me so I’m wondering if I’m trying to remember a name my Dad used instead of the actual one. 
  • True story time,

Many years ago my brother and myself went to clean the carpets of a lady's flat in Beckenham. As we moved a chest of MFI drawers in the bedroom the bottom drawer collapsed (as they did) .  It was the lady's 'Toy' drawer.
    We did the carpet, moved the chest of drawers back and balanced the bottom drawer back in place. We did laugh.
  • True story time,

Many years ago my brother and myself went to clean the carpets of a lady's flat in Beckenham. As we moved a chest of MFI drawers in the bedroom the bottom drawer collapsed (as they did) .  It was the lady's 'Toy' drawer.
    We did the carpet, moved the chest of drawers back and balanced the bottom drawer back in place. We did laugh.
    Was it full of Cabbage Patch Dolls or was she more into My Little Pony?
  • PopIcon said:
    True story time,

Was it full of Cabbage Patch Dolls or was she more into My Little Pony?
    More stallion than pony.
  • As stand up comedian Mike Reid once said “MFI stands for Made for Fucking Idiots . “
  • MrOneLung said:
    From wiki

Thank you! Hygena it is then. It still doesn’t sound quite right to me so I’m wondering if I’m trying to remember a name my Dad used instead of the actual one. 
    When putting their flat packs together there was plenty of names I called them.
    Just about every job I done using their shite had bits missing or damaged. 
  • edited October 16
    What was the name of the cheap, white, modular flat packed stuff that MFI made in the 70s? 
    Been trying to think of the name for the last couple of days and it’s driving me mad.
    Have asked friends but so far ‘Formica’, g-plan, f-plan are the suggestions but don’t sound right. I’m sure it began with an M.
    MFI Essentials was a range focused on budget-friendly, basic furniture pieces aimed at customers looking for affordable solutions. 
    MFI Select was a step up from the Essentials line, offering more stylish and mid-tier priced furniture, catering to those seeking better quality but still at a reasonable price. 
    SpaceMaker was a line of bedroom furniture that focused on maximising storage and making the best use of available space. It often featured modular wardrobes and bedroom storage units. 
  • Sponsored links:

• The more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards it being a made up name by my Dad. I spent years believing there was a tyre repair place (Crayford?) called Leo Wankers.

• edited October 17
    I remember when Tescos took over MFI….. a few weeks after, I bought a frozen chicken from Tescos, when I defrosted it the leg fell off.
  • I remember when Tescos took over MFI….. a few weeks after, I bought a frozen chicken from Tescos, when I defrosted it the leg fell off.
    Don’t start me on chickens with one leg unless you want photos 
  • I don't think MFI were that bad for the money. It weren't their thought the average customer couldn't follow the Airfix  style instructions and improvise where necessary.
    Lashings of No Nails and extra fixings is all it took.