Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

IF we are taken over

edited August 2007 in General Charlton
and its a IF

Rumour is Russian or Nigerian

Who would you prefer?

Comments

• Options
    Don't care. Whichever is the sounder bid and that would apply if you threw in an Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman.
  • Options
    russian by majority
  • Options
    Well i don't mind and be honest and say my first thought when hearing was 'please god, i don't want Nigerians running this club'.

We've all got prejudices, despite us all knowing its wrong, but it was my first reaction. I don't thing its a racist or zenaphobic view, though i'm sure others won't believe me, but of all the African nations, Nigerians are 'generally' known as the most rude and corrupt in business. I fail to see any form of connection between us, and i really can't see how it could take our club forward.

But i also know that its wrong judging individuals by stereotype. Give me a Nigerian who falls in love with the club and pumps money in, over an Englishman who saddles us with debt and runs us into the ground any day of the week.

I just can't really see how we are going to truely benefit out of all this.
  • Options
    who reported these rumours then?
  • Options
    The Independent, who broke the story first, so i'm giving it a bit more weight.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]The Independent, who broke the story first, so i'm giving it a bit more weight.

If you want to add some extra weight then I'll add my 35 stone!
    :o)
  • Options
    you fat bastard
  • Options
    Definitely not Nigerian, i can only see disaster down that route. Russians might also make people wary, but Chelsea and Portsmouth have done well from it, so....
  • Options
    Russian anyday although I'd rather a rich Englishman like BERNIE eCCLESTONE.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]you fat bastard

it's all muscle
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Muscle weighs heavier than fat......

;-)
  • Options
    Will the beer be sold for less than 3 quid a pint?
  • Options
    Big Russian and Nigerian money is often made on the back of oil.

So it's a pint of Diesel, then Badger. And as you'll know, you can't buy Guinness for less than £3.
  • Options
    Selling imported Nigerian guinness at my local store for £2.00 a bottle, maybe i'll have a word in his shell?
  • Options
    Now, export Guinness is 7.5% proof.

Just a bit stronger than what you can normally buy here.
    Is your Nigerian Guinness the stuff of Nigerian Oliarchs?

If so my vote goes to a Nigerian takeover.

;-)
  • Options
    LINK: http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/news/article2874069.ece

Corruption is rife in Nigeria, so my reaction to Nigerians is the same as AFKA's - there are of course many, many,many lovely Nigerians - but if you drew a Venn Diagram of Nigerians with the lovely ones in one circle, nasty corrupt ones in another circle .... and then rich businessmen in another - I think I know where the greatest overlap would occur.

Probably not that much different for Russians.

Sadly beggars can't be choosers and we are beggars, and the people who've made enough to spend tens of millions on a football club are not going to be volunteers for the Salvation Army.

We have to trust in Richard Murray and the board to do well by the club.
  • Options
    and you think its not rife in Russia. You think Abramovich became a billionaire overnight in post soviet russia by 'following the rules'??

:)
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]LINK:http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/news/article2874069.ece

We have to trust in Richard Murray

'Trust in Pardew' 'Trust in Murray' etc....

this is getting too much for someone like me who generally doesn't trust anyone......... :-)
  • Options
    I do trust them not to sell us down the river, let's hope its not unfounded trust eh..
  • Options
    As long as Dowie's not involved
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]LINK:http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/news/article2874069.ece

We have to trust in Richard Murray

'Trust in Pardew' 'Trust in Murray' etc....

this is getting too much for someone like me who generally doesn't trust anyone......... :-)

Now I know why I agree with you so often, AFKA. Snap - trust no-one!
  • Options
    Trouble is as far as football chairmen go past and present I cant think of anyone better than our own Sir Richard. And the new breed of Foreign ones are ghastly. What about Delia!
  • Options
    Sadly there aren't any more rich Thai politicians about to be practically exiled from the country.

I still think Murray is a great chairman, despite the board's failings last season.
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong, so do I, Bangkok. The worry is that there are still some dodgy Nigerians and Russians out there and getting closer to our beloved club.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Don't get me wrong, so do I, Bangkok. The worry is that there are still some dodgy Nigerians and Russians out there and getting closer to our beloved club.
    there might also be some very reputable Nigerians and Russians who could do very well for Charlton in the future...
  • Options
    I am with you weegie, no thanks to dirty russians or nigerians! no thanks
  • Options
    I can't believe we're taking financial advice from Keith Harris....
  • Options
    Looks as though it's a genuine possibility then. Where they come from is only important in that it's likely their only interest in Charlton is going to be financial or for self-glorification. In some ways we'd better hope it's the latter, but neither bode well. We're probably one of only a handful in the top leagues who are run by a chairman whose primary motive is to see the club thrive as a SUPPORTER. RM has admitted making errors last summer, but many of us might have done the same, and they were decisions made only in trying to advance the club, certainly not for personal gain.

The chances of a foreign investor having the long term welfare of our club at heart are extremely slim, be they from Iceland, Nigeria, Russia, USA, or TransDniestra! The same could be said of many UK businessmen, or indeed anyone who fails to show a history of interest in CAFC. What's made Charlton so special is the sense of CLUB involvement we've shared for so long with a board that genuinely understands those sentiments by having experienced times a lot worse than losing to Stoke. We'd better hope that even if RM feels the need now to step aside, he handles any new money with extreme caution.
  • Options
    excellent post Paddy, agree with every word of that.
  • Options
    Despite all the abuse we have given them, you only have to look through the mist over the Thames to our 'East End' neighbours :-) and look at their Chairman, no one can question old Egghead's commitment to making Charlton Athletic Re-born United a force at Upton Valley.