Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Trapped Welsh Miners

Third miner found dead. Very, very sad news and not looking good for the fourth. Thoughts are with the poor families that are suffering at the moment. 

Comments

• RIP.

The body of the last of four missing miners has been found at the mine in South Wales. Thoughts with the families.
  • very sad, i live in a former major coal mining community - the visual reminders of this incredibly tough job are everywhere here
  • I hadn't heard about it until about two hours ago, anyone know what happened? I don't know whether ive just been out of touch or what... R.I.P with the families though its very sad stuff.

• I hadn't heard about it until about two hours ago, anyone know what happened? I don't know whether ive just been out of touch or what... R.I.P with the families though its very sad stuff.

I'm not sure - and no doubt the official accident report will be more definitive, but it seems a section of the mine they were working in flooded and they were drowned.

RIP.

• Awful news.  Thoughts go to their families and friends.

I've always said that everyone should go down a working pit to find out just how tough real work can can be. 
  • R.I.P. from hope to despair. I went down a bit when I was at School - an educational thingy and hated it. Was down there 20 minutes and couldn't wait to get up and did it tale a long time to get down and up in the lift - you can't imagine how deep these things are. My respect for miners has been as high as it is possible to be since that day. Nobody would do that for fun and they do it to feed their families. Brave heroes the lot of them.
  • Awful news.  Thoughts go to their families and friends.

I've always said that everyone should go down a working pit to find out just how tough real work can can be. 

This.

I used to go out with a miners daughter from north wales about 25 years ago and he took me down the point of ayr pit. Not to the actual coal face but a fair way down. A simply awful place to be, let alone earn your living.

• Very sad news. RIP

I met a miner during the miners strikes - he came to speak at a union meeting. After he described what it was like to do his job I realised that if there was any other way for those guys to make a living, they'd do it! They were miners because that was the only work around. After the meeting we actually discussed whether we should be helping them in the strikes or finding something, anything else, they could do to make a living!
  • Sponsored links:

• A really tough way to earn a living and very dangerous with it.

RIP
  • Probably the wrong time to post this but some footballers tell stories that that "The Sky channel on our coach didn't work". A team in DIV 2.
  • Hideous. RIP.
  • Very sad, RIP.
  • RIP to those 4 poor miners and their families my thoughts are with them.....it has also affected my wifes family even though they did not know them.

......my father-in-law is an ex-miner.....worked down the pits all his life in Notinghamshire until they were eventually all closed down......he worked on the coal face.....just listening to some of his experiences made me realise just how poor conditions are....even in this modern day and age.....and despite taking all saftey mesures etc you would never know if today would be the day that something horrendous was going to happen at your pit.

The familes of miners (i.e my mrs etc) would spend most of the day getting on with their normal life...but always had in the back of their minds if their husband/dad was safe.....it became a natural way of living.

He works as a welder now...but has health problems caused by 30 years down the pit.......I take my hat off to him and all those who worked/work in pits.....a very dangerous job at the best of times.
  • Rip to the welsh miners, truly tragic but in that field of work every day could be your last.

I have been down a number of mines in Asia, coal, copper and gold and every time I get back to the surface I thank god I don't have to do it for a living.

I am off to one in Mongolia in a couple of weeks it will be an open cast mine (ie a big open whole) but even this will go down to over 1,000 meters. As you have to get mobile equipment down there you probably can't imagine the size of the pit. It is likely to be over 3 miles wide!
  • Apparently some sick low life has started a Facebook page taking the piss out of the miners and their families.A lot of people have complained to the police and action is being taken.What complete scum.
  • Apparently some sick low life has started a Facebook page taking the piss out of the miners and their families.A lot of people have complained to the police and action is being taken.What complete scum.
    Perhaps they should be sent down a pit for a few days.....that'll sort them out!