Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Are Northerners More Friendly than Southerners?

Having spent the weekend around the Bury/ Manchester area, I'm reminded of generally how miserable people down south are, not content with their lot, pretty darn rude and unfriendly (apart from you lot on Charlton life) quite self interested and not very willing to give you the time of day, I know there's good and bad people everywhere, but everytime I travelled north I've noticed that people seem to be nicer to each other? What do you think ( gets a tin hat and prepares for a hurl Of abuse). ;-0

Comments

• Blimey...You'll be buying a Whippet & flatcap next......
  • No

They get drunk and beat up women, nuff said
  • Im with you Mendonca, most of my family now live in Yorkshire and whenever I go up there I notice the difference, friendlier, warmer and not rushing about like we do down south.

• In a word; yes.

Whether you are in a queue, waiting at a bus stop or in a lift, someone will talk to you, no matter where you are.  You could die on a pavement in London and be ignored (and people have).  Mind you there seems to be an even greater proportion of nutters oop north.
  • Basically, yes.
  • Friendlier undoubtedly, but they are also a little bit backward, poor dress sense and a silly accent, so its a bit of a trade of.
  • I spent just over 6 years in County Durham (Bishop Auckland). When I first moved up there I found the natives to be a bit off hand but once I got to know them they were by and large very friendly. I was made to feel very welcome at work.

They know shit all about football though.  ;-)
  • I find people in Yorkshire can be a bit hostile to outsiders, but in general I have to agree that northeners are more friendly.

Wouldn't want to be one though, obviously.

• Friendlier undoubtedly, but they are also a little bit backward, poor dress sense and a silly accent, so its a bit of a trade of.

I get I'd fit in quite well then:-0
  • I advocate building a wall round the South/ north circular and keeping the yokels out of london.

Lots of Northerners in london, here to make the money .... no more or less friendly

not talking to your neighbour is one of the perks of living in London
  • Sponsored links:

• They look in the dustbin for something to eat, they find a dead cat and they think its a treat

Let's be honest that wouldn't cheer a southerner up in a month of Sundays

But if it makes those northern monkeys a cheerier bunch then I am happier being miserable
  • They look in the dustbin for something to eat, they find a dead cat and they think its a treat

Let's be honest that wouldn't cheer a southerner up in a month of Sundays

But if it makes those northern monkeys a cheerier bunch then I am happier being miserable
    The old Cole Porter classic.
    Shame we don't hear it down The Valley these days.
  • I advocate building a wall round the South/ north circular and keeping the yokels out of london.

Lots of Northerners in london, here to make the money .... no more or less friendly

not talking to your neighbour is one of the perks of living in London

This.

• No. But people outside of cities are usually more friendly.
  • No. But people outside of cities are usually more friendly.
    This.

Far too many people call it as a North/South thing. I see it as a London(being the most extreme example in the UK)/rest of the country thing.
  • Totally agree. I live in Gravesend and Get on well with my neighbours. I'd hate to live in London to be honest.
  • And also, what exactly is so great about being friendly ?

I've spent most of my life being friendly and it hasn't brought me fame, fortune or inner fulfilment. I'm now attempting a cross between aloof and miserable and its actually really enjoyable.

As for neighbours, me and the bloke next door have a built in alarm that means after precisely 30 seconds of conversation one of us will be forced into saying "anyway, i'll let you get on..."

As for women, act friendly to them and one way or another you'll end up giving up 98% of your salary.

See it just don't seem worth it.

And on a seperate point with regard to northerners, how can you take anyone seriously that call each other cock in an affectionate way ?
  • In a word; yes.

Whether you are in a queue, waiting at a bus stop or in a lift, someone will talk to you, no matter where you are.  You could die on a pavement in London and be ignored (and people have).  Mind you there seems to be an even greater proportion of nutters oop north.

Ah, but can you understand what they say ?
  • Yes they are. And i'm as southern as you can get.
  • Whether you are in a queue, waiting at a bus stop or in a lift, someone will talk to you
    Would absolutely HATE that. 

Think I'll stay down south.
  • Sponsored links:

• Lots of them live down here with us but not many off us want to live up there with outside lavs.
  • I reckon really they aint much more friendly.Ive lived around the country and yes northerners will speak to you more than a Londoner will but they arnt really any more friendly,once they know who you are where you are from and basically wether you are a threat or not they will ignore you just like a Londoner.
  • of course they are friendlier to each other. they are all related.
  • of course they are friendlier to each other. they are all related.

are you saying that their sister is their mother

or

that their father is their brother

• The problem is more about the big metropolitan city that is London and its suburbs than how north or south you are. You will find small towns in the south where people are equally friendly. London has too many people living side by side who are totally different in education, outlook, interests and aspirations to be a friendly place overall in realtion to starngers.
  • edited September 2011
    Whether you are in a queue, waiting at a bus stop or in a lift, someone will talk to you
    Would absolutely HATE that. 

Think I'll stay down south.
    I went up to uni up north and it was horrible. You'll be at the bar and they'll come up behind you and ask if you've been served. It doesn't matter whether I've been served all not, all you need to know is that I got to the bar before you! A few of them do love the sound of their own voices and go on for ages about nothing at all, although to be fair some do go out of their way to help you, which you would'nt get down here. I still maintain that it is a urban rural thing though as they're a lot of rude people in Manchester.

I assume this thread was started after the warm hospitality we received in Rochdale?
  • No!!! Down in Devon there are some of the nicest people you can meet!! Having lived in Derby for 3 years and London all my life I can definitely say that Northerners are categorically not friendlier than southerners.
  • I lived in Wolverhampton for a few years in the Sixties, and covered from Manchester down through the Midlands. Our experience was that the social life was much better than the South where people tend to be quite distant, but it seems that the weather gets worse as you go North. Scotland can be a lovely place, but the weather can be crap. London itself has changed out of all recognition during my lifetime, and not for the better. I'm happy to be the age I am, and don't envy my Grandchildren just starting out in life.