Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Are Northerners More Friendly than Southerners?

Comments

• edited September 2011
    No!!! Down in Devon there are some of the nicest people you can meet!! Having lived in Derby for 3 years and London all my life I can definitely say that Northerners are categorically not friendlier than southerners.
    I agree,I live in devon where everyone is friendly. Ive no need to lock the door to my house, old people are willing to talk and don't feel the need to cross the road when they see someone under 30 walking on the same side of the path as them.

Although I do live in Totnes, which has a stereo type of being a hippy town... this may be the reason its such a nice place to live
  • Ah, Totnes, would love to live there. Very much agree, they are fabulously friendly folk, but that's to each other. As a grockle, the welcome is very muted whereas up north, we have indeed found that the locals are very chatty and welcoming.

• The season we won the league i traveled up on my own to stockport (andy hunt hatrick) got up there really early, was on the official club supporters coach, i was about 18 or 19 and on my todd and had a good 2hrs before kick off in a place i had never been to before. just by the away stand entrance there was a workmans club with an old boy sat at the door, not being funny or taking the mick but he said somthing like "aye up son, whats matter you lost?" and then had a chat with him, he said go inside you will be fine even though i didnt have a ciu card or whatever you need. I walked in and spent the next 2hrs having a great time talking football, london and everything with the warmest most sincere group of people i have ever met, they even bought me a few beers and got told to put my wallet away when i tried to return the favour (for those sickos out there Plaayer and MCS NO i wasnt being groomed or about to roofed!!) anyway the fact is these people were kind enough to look after me and make me feel really at ease and at home despite being on my own and i will never forget that day for the rest of mylife. I really think you would struggle to find this kind of hospitailty and warmth south of birmingham, even when the lib is full of away fans there tends to be a real us and them atmosphere the only exception was the few games weve had latletly with sheff weds where i spent a fair bit of time talking to them and really and making them feel welcome and having a laugh about football and life in general. not sure what to conclude from this but would the kind of hospitality i was treated to in stockport be found within the M25? 
  • Northerners are not more friendly, they are nosey...

No,actually they are more friendly in general, but as always there are exceptions both ways.

• Whats a southerner ?

last time i was asked this (years back) it was "Londoners" arnt friendly" so  i pointed out 1  in 7  (before Brown and Blair opened the door) Londoners were of Irish origins, so define a "Londoner" ?

I  think anyone who thinks "Southerners" arnt friendly should take a stroll through Woolwich any night after dark and see how the locals always come up for a "chat".
  • I lived in London for my first 30 years, then Hampshire for 28 and for the last 8 years up here in Lancs.

My perception is that Northerners are friendlier than Londoners, but also other rural areas of England are just as friendly as up here. It really is a metropolitan thing that big cities do not seem friendly to outsiders.

So are Northerners more friendly than Southerners - No but they are more friendly than Londoners, except SE7.
  • Yes they are friendlier (needy?).
    But at the end of the day they are northerners.

As a born and breed Southerner, I reserve my right to be miserable and I was always told 'don't talk to strangers'. So I don't.

• Are the French more friendlier than the Welsh/ Scots?
  • edited September 2011
    No!!! Down in Devon there are some of the nicest people you can meet!! Having lived in Derby for 3 years and London all my life I can definitely say that Northerners are categorically not friendlier than southerners.
    I agree,I live in devon where everyone is friendly. Ive no need to lock the door to my house, old people are willing to talk and don't feel the need to cross the road when they see someone under 30 walking on the same side of the path as them.

Although I do live in Totnes, which has a stereo type of being a hippy town... this may be the reason its such a nice place to live
    Totnes, a great town, if only they would get the  traffic sorted?...... It does have an 'artistic'  feel, but then as an creative type  and I enjoy a community type of living.  The trouble with London is it is full of non Londoners. One of the virtues of living in the UK is the diversity of the counties. I tend to think all counties have  there virtues, and most people are friendly if you take time  and consideration with there 'ways'.  I think that Urban living is  quite different from country living. I have to sadly report that none of my extended family long  to return to Charlton, and although there are areas of Greenwich  I have affection for I have little empathy for the current residency of my  childhood, but then again I say that about Bexley every day of the week and twice on a Sunday?
  • I advocate building a wall round the South/ north circular and keeping the yokels out of london.

Lots of Northerners in london, here to make the money .... no more or less friendly

not talking to your neighbour is one of the perks of living in London
    I'd build the wall at The Thames....
  • Sponsored links:

• What's with northerners aversion of the word 'the' ?

"Shall I put big light on" etc

No wonder they're so friendly, they've got an extra hour in the day to us from all the time saved only speaking about 80% of a normal sentence.
  • Plus all the time they save by saying t' instead of the word the.. Going t'pub our Terry?
    No.
  • Northerners are more friendly??  Have you ever been to watch Charlton at Leeds?

The best way to answer the question is, would you want to live there?

No.
    Ah ... i beg to differ
    No.
    Ah ... i beg to differ
    Lets agree on a "maybe".
  • edited September 2011
    We'm a pretty friendly bunch down here in Oggy Land, we'm like talking to each other like, and knowing who's shagging who. Passes the time, like. And we'm even more Southern than you Southerners, even if if we'm all a bit more West than you,  like.

Now they Greenies up at Plymerff, they sing to they Executer City, "You dirty Northern b*stards", because Executer is more north than we.
    And Lunnon is more north than Executer. Most people in Lunnon don't come from Lunnon, theys come from "Oop North" or praps Ireland and the like.

Anyways, most Lunnon peoples live down 'ere these days.

• Is Oggy Land near Ringwood ?
    ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2011
    No, not really, me pretty.

We'm all lives 'ere with the sea and that there water nearly all round us. Thas why every morning comes round all wet and windy.
    Nothing they weather forecaster girls can do about it. It just is.

Now that they Ringworm they talks about, thas way up New Forest way, right?
    They all be Bournemouth and Southampton football peoples, they be.

Proper Northerner folk, because they be more northern than we down 'ere.

• edited September 2011

Bloody 'ell....You an 'alf lost that saarf london accent ain't 'cha mate !
  • Difficult for me to say as been in Sheffield since i was 5. But i think most people are friendly. My partner moved here from Sweden and noticed instantly how polite other drivers are on the roads, generally letting you in, when in traffic, etc. She like the familiar way that people talk to each other, duck, chick, love, etc. I remember when my uncle (south london bus driver) came to visit and the local bus driver called him love', lol. my uncle thought he was either being cheeky or a bit light in the shoes, as he said. I like the fact that if you sit on a bus, or stand in a queue, or go into a shop, people will talk to you as though they know you, (or are interested in you). obviously not everyone is like that, but generally people are alright with you if you are alright with them.

as for football. i've been to County, Bury, and Dale this season and all were friendly places. at county i parked outside a bloke front door (terraced house). as he came out of his house i asked if it was alright to park there and he said no problem, i can park my car further up if need be when i get back. at Bury i parked oppposite main stand again on a residential street, and again at Dale, 50 mtrs from ground. after all three games i've walked back to my car in Charlton shirt, and no a single comment or look from home fans and after winning all three. so for me, being able to walk about in Charlton shirt after winning an away game and feel comfortable says a lot. Not sure i'd feel that way all over the country.
  • Thats all very well PeP but I don't want complete strangers talking shiite passing the time of day to me.
    If I'm out and about I dont want some Norvern Monkey chatting away 'cos hes's got no real mates! :o)
  • Difficult for me to say as been in Sheffield since i was 5. But i think most people are friendly. My partner moved here from Sweden and noticed instantly how polite other drivers are on the roads, generally letting you in, when in traffic, etc. She like the familiar way that people talk to each other, duck, chick, love, etc. I remember when my uncle (south london bus driver) came to visit and the local bus driver called him love', lol. my uncle thought he was either being cheeky or a bit light in the shoes, as he said. I like the fact that if you sit on a bus, or stand in a queue, or go into a shop, people will talk to you as though they know you, (or are interested in you). obviously not everyone is like that, but generally people are alright with you if you are alright with them.

as for football. i've been to County, Bury, and Dale this season and all were friendly places. at county i parked outside a bloke front door (terraced house). as he came out of his house i asked if it was alright to park there and he said no problem, i can park my car further up if need be when i get back. at Bury i parked oppposite main stand again on a residential street, and again at Dale, 50 mtrs from ground. after all three games i've walked back to my car in Charlton shirt, and no a single comment or look from home fans and after winning all three. so for me, being able to walk about in Charlton shirt after winning an away game and feel comfortable says a lot. Not sure i'd feel that way all over the country.

Good post & I agree with what you said.

However, that's nothing to do with being North or South. You get a similar welcome at Exeter & Yeovil.

Try parking your car at Man C or Leeds & walking to the ground in a Charlton shirt.

• Everything you need to know about northerners!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DqvXRd64Mo

• Yes it is true.  I go op north nearly every weekend and the people (even strangers) are friendly to you.  In the south not even your next door neighbours wanna talk to u!   Everyone ive met up north said that they wouldn't touch London with a bargepole and i have to agree with that.  Compared to the north London is a shithole!
  • Its been said before and I'll say it again - I don't want to talk to strangers!  I couldn't think of anything worse than forced conversation with my neighbours!  When I sit on the bus I don't want the person next to me telling me about their day!  I couldn't care less!  

Up north sounds like a total f'ing nightmare!
  • Its not like they're forcing their conversations on u!  Its not like that at all!  Its just that people are generally more friendly and outgoing rather than pushing and shoving past u without saying excuse me and giving u dirty looks!  I know what i would prefer any day!
  • Its not like they're forcing their conversations on u!  Its not like that at all!  Its just that people are generally more friendly and outgoing rather than pushing and shoving past u without saying excuse me and giving u dirty looks!  I know what i would prefer any day!
    Fair enough, but I don't agree that people in London generally shove past you without saying excuse me.  Earlier today I bumped into someone at a station (entirely my fault, wasn't watching where I was going), and we both ended up apologising to each other.  People (except tourists, generally) seem to spend most of their time saying sorry/excuse me!