Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Patrick McCarthy

Comments

• Options
    Leicester fan I used to work with has just texted me to say that he's "committed and gets sent of regularly - not good enough for you".

What I'm taking from that is that I'm actually quite flattered he thinks that we're good!!!
  • Options
    let's not be negative.... ok... we are staying up;-)
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited June 2007
    I suppose one thing this does mean is that we wont be keeping hold of Simon Walton
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I suppose one thing this does mean is that we wont be keeping hold of Simon Walton

With Walton, Thatcher and this McCarthy fella in the same team we'd be lucky to finish many games with 11 men!
  • Options
    Walton's more a CM though with added flexibility to fill in at centre half... don't quite get your reasoning
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I suppose one thing this does mean is that we wont be keeping hold of Simon Walton
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited June 2007
    Nor do i now, i had it in my head that this McCarthy fella was a midfielder. Ignore me!
  • Options
    we're signing a player from Leicester, that most of us haven't really heard of, and people are on a downer.

But when we signed foreign players we've never heard of, like El Kharkouri, Diawara, Pringle etc, everyone was excited ! where's the logic in that ?

lets wait and see when we see them play. One thing we can crib from his signings and what he has insinuated in the past, Pardew thought we were too nice as a team, and has definately including the ability to 'mix it' in his signing policy
  • Options
    you are always going to get some fans , aggrieved at them leaving, posting negative comments. I mean look at us when Parker went - but deep down we'd take him back like a shot tomorrow.
  • Options
    We have to build a side to get out of this division. It is that simple. Pards had six months to take a long hard look at what we had and much of it he clearly thought was not good enough. Agreed!

Pards will bring in players to fit the system and style that he believes will get us promoted and for any of those that are questioning why would Leicester let him go etc, why did we let Matty Elliot, Linvoy Primus, Danny Shittu by ways of example go when they had so much potential. One manager's meat, another's gravy, it's that simple.

He is El Kak/HH replacement to my mind leaving Diawara, Bouggy, Mccarthy and Fortune to fight for the centre half slots, with the versatile Gibbs as back up in CB slot if needed.
  • Options
    Young from the British Isle's potential to improve, it's what a lot of us have said we would like to see from the signings being made I think.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: pickwick[/cite]Young from the British Isle's potential to improve, it's what a lot of us have said we would like to see from the signings being made I think.[/quote]

Bang on Pickwick, give me a raw McCarthy like player with plenty of desire above a Faye/Diawara/Traore foreign mercenary any day of the bloody week.

Don't forget people that the last time we signed a rough centre-half who had a modest playing record in the lower leagues was back in 1990 when we were relegated from the top tier, his name.....Simon Webster. That didn't turn out too badly did it?
  • Options
    great points Pavo, pickwick, ormy.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Let's hold fire on this signing,Passing judgement before we've already seen him play,we need to freshen up the squad and at least we're making some additions that we can afford, he's still young and should be given a chance, we don't know his situation at Leicester but a Good manager like Pards can turn him into an even better player,new club & a fresh start.At least players are being brought in and quickly.
  • Options
    Leicester are rumoured to have signed or be signing Kish.

Now what impression would LCFC fans get of their new player from people on Charlton Life?

If it was Len or me it would be "hard working, talented, 100% committed asset to the side."

If it was a few other people it would be "headless chicken, liability, cost you loads of goals, ageing"

Which is right?
  • Options
    the former mr irving, not prem standard but puts so much hard work in...yes his passing can let hiom down but for the 1.35m we paid for him weve more than had our moneys worth. better than faye.
  • Options
    Paddy McCarthy (see I'm mates with him already), doesn't have a bad pedigree.

Came through the ranks at Man City and played with Ben Thatcher a few times, apparently before he went off to Leicester to prove himself. Also played aongside Andy Reid for Ireland.

So he's only unknown to us.

Good point - he does seem to be a gritted teeth, 'thou shalt not pass' type defender.
    So hopefully should bring a bit of steel to our team of softies.
  • Options
    http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=38413&st=0

If you look at these comments, he sound awful. The best comment seem to be someone disagreeing with the others and saying that if he gets the right direction, he could be decent in 5 years time.Doh!!!!
  • Options
    Remember the comments about Bent on the other site when we signed him from Ipswich.
  • Options
    About time we had a paddy in the side (I'm not counting Reid because he hardly plays)...bit of celtic pride and all that in the Kinsella mold....Pards knows what it takes to get out of this division. A backbone of steel and some flair players like Ambrose and Reid (if fit!!!) and maybe Romm if he stays.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pickwick[/cite]Remember the comments about Bent on the other site when we signed him from Ipswich.

and Norwich fans were absolutely overjoyed that we payed £300k odd for Danny Mills, i have faith in Pards
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And Danny Mills was a bit of a thug, too.......
  • Options
    Did you guys scan through the 9 pages of comments on The Foxes site I posted in a link yesterday. There was hardly one person sorry to see him go.
    In fact they were all pretty much delighted they had made a £500K profit on a player that hadn't improved since they signed him 2 years ago and they rated as a liability.
    They called him "Bombscare".
    I would liken their reaction to ours when we offloaded Traore.
    Pards might be right, I've never seen him, but I'm getting that "Dowie Feeling".
    Sorry for the negative posting, but I can't see a positive unless they are all wrong.
  • Options
    Let's wait until 3 months into the season when Paddy has played 20 odd games for us. Then will have an idea of who was right, Pards or some Leicester fans.
  • Options
    I agree, Good quality coaching of a player can iron out most problems. Trust in Pards !
  • Options
    totally agree with ketman. look at diawara's improvement under pards, and pards said this was all down to just taking a good look at him and recognising where he was going wrong.
  • Options
    That wasn't difficult, Diawara was going wrong just about everywhere before Pards took over!
  • Options
    true but because of pards we've probably doubled any fee if we decide to sell him.
  • Options
    Just in case any of you missed it, look back to my link on June 7th and see what the foxes supporters thought of "Bombscare".

Sorry but we will win nowt with him in the side.
  • Options
    He makes Phil Chapple look like John Terry
  • Options
    What are the guys strengths...........he ws pony and was get turnt so easily