Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

For the first time since the Premiership

edited October 2011 in General Charlton
I feel like I can't wait to go to the Valley on a Saturday. I have seen us play play some decent football this season under Powell and I feel proud watching the highlights. The Carlisle game showed us an example how good we can be against these lower league teams. Apparently we have the best away record this season out of the whole country, acording to Gillete Soccer Saturday, not a bad stat :-)

Lets hope we can keep this going. COYR!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Agreed, all very positive... not used to it, but long may it continue!!

One Aim, Toppa the league etc etc

COYR

• With you all the way, Disco.

Long may this euphoric feeling last !

• edited October 2011
    First season in league 1 wasnt that bad.

Well, it was. But at least we got a playoff game out of it.
  •  Apparently we have the best away record this season out of the whole country,

i've seen 5 away games this season and five wins. i can't remember any other time in all my years following Charlton, that i've had a run of 5 away wins.

so, the feel good factor appears to be based on good football and great results. would anyone else swap bottom 3 in the prem for top of league one?

• No way Paul
  • so, the feel good factor appears to be based on good football and great results. would anyone else swap bottom 3 in the prem for top of league one?
    Yep I would take bottom 3 in the championship over top of league one
  • That's just weird.
  • so, the feel good factor appears to be based on good football and great results. would anyone else swap bottom 3 in the prem for top of league one?
    Yep I would take bottom 3 in the championship over top of league one
    The most ridiculous thing I've seen on the forum, congratulations.
  • WSSWSS
    edited November 2011
    I would certainly prefer to be in the Championship towards the bottom this year rather than top of League One. I'd suggest most of the players, coaches and board would as well.

It's better than where we are.
  • WSS worded it better than me but if it needs explaining what i meant then that explains a lot !
  • Sponsored links:

• I disagree with both of you. We are now on an upward climb with an excellent squad, and directors and Management who quite obviously have a plan which is working.

If we were at the bottom of the Championship we would probably be facing a drop into another downward spiral. You have to look at the big picture, we are 6 points ahead of where Brighton were last season after 16 games. Lets have some positivity please.

• ok i'd rather be bottom of the championship with this current squad and directors etc

ok this time next year where would you like to be positioned with this squad directors etc

and this time in two years

three years

four years

• Yep, a relegation fight is more fun than going for promotion or on a small scale, seeing your team lose is better then winning. And that's before we take the following season in to account. Look back on interviews from Derby fans who claimed they were promoted too early, they got embarrassed in the premiership.
  • In my opinion lads, our Directors have planned exactly where they want to be in at least five years, and also what is needed to get us there. If you haven't got a map, how do you reach your destination ? Football is now big business, and good business principles are essential unless you want to see -saw up and down like so many Clubs. If you were to ask Michael Slater where he expects to be in five years, I guarantee he will give you a definite answer. He might not achieve everything that he wants, but there will certainly be a plan B for every situation 
  • a couple of weeks ago millwank were in the bottom 3, do you really think that they would have liked to swap places with us?
  • TK, the discussion we are having here is whether WE would want to change places, and for me that is a resounding NO.
  • In my opinion lads, our Directors have planned exactly where they want to be in at least five years, and also what is needed to get us there. If you haven't got a map, how do you reach your destination ? Football is now big business, and good business principles are essential unless you want to see -saw up and down like so many Clubs. If you were to ask Michael Slater where he expects to be in five years, I guarantee he will give you a definite answer. He might not achieve everything that he wants, but there will certainly be a plan B for every situation 
    i think so too
  • I'm actually a bit gutted that we haven't got a midweek game, I don't think that has EVER happened.
  • yep i agree that its a good place to go now

we have players who want to play for the club and the team and players the crowd can relate to ...you can actually sense they want to play and win for us .We had a sustained feelgood feeling dating from back to the valley our premiership days through to the parker sale .We ve also had some really miserable times since ,some of the worst i can remember so lets enjoy the feelgood ...for gods sake dont knock the players Now ...we can see they are trying for us and i have nt seen that for a long long time

ONE AIM 
  • would anyone else swap bottom 3 in the prem for top of league one?
    In a flash

In the first we have a fighting chance of still being in the Prem next season.  At worst we're a cash rich club in the Championship

In the second the best we can achieve next season is the Championship and while that looks very likely at present it's not guarenteed.

But of course you can't swap like that so I'm enjoying the success we're having and the football we're playing in the real world and dreaming of being back in the Premier sooner rather than later.
  • Sponsored links:

Funny enough that is exactly what I asked him at Bromley Addicks a few months back.  Wouldn't say it was a definite answer but he took a few seconds to answers as he worked out the steps year by year.   He has a plan.
  • WSS worded it better than me but if it needs explaining what i meant then that explains a lot !
    I think people were just surprised you didn't mention "our crap away support" or "This w*** league" in one of your posts and wondered if you were quite yourself

: - )
  • Jenkinson's sale having paid for most of the players we've brought in, I'm not too confident about our Directors' plans (investment potential) for the future.
    I cannot help feeling their pockets aren't very deep, are more business-minded than fans themselves and that they'll probably sell once a substantial profit can be made. Of course a lot of gratitude to them for having gotten us out of the brown stuff and (I'm sure) back to the Championship with a team we look forward
    to encourage.
    As for the controversy top 3 in League 1 or bottom 3 in Championship, I have a simplistic reasoning : we're miserable when we lose and love it when we win, 
    so it's better to be in top 3, but just for one season  -  missing promotion would wipe out all the season's joys.
  • I'm actually a bit gutted that we haven't got a midweek game, I don't think that has EVER happened.
    Funnily enough I said the same thing to my son last night.
  • Jenkinson's sale having paid for most of the players we've brought in, I'm not too confident about our Directors' plans (investment potential) for the future.
    I cannot help feeling their pockets aren't very deep, are more business-minded than fans themselves and that they'll probably sell once a substantial profit can be made. Of course a lot of gratitude to them for having gotten us out of the brown stuff and (I'm sure) back to the Championship with a team we look forward

to encourage.

As for the controversy top 3 in League 1 or bottom 3 in Championship, I have a simplistic reasoning : we're miserable when we lose and love it when we win, 

so it's better to be in top 3, but just for one season  -  missing promotion would wipe out all the season's joys.
    Thats what I like to see a nice positive post when things are going well.
    Big assumption there.  We just don't know what the incoming or outgoing fees were or how the payments are staged.

We're running a big sqaud by L1 standard and those wages have to be paid even if they are most likely less or the same as last year due to the big three earners all going.

I agree the current owners might well sell but to do that they have to "add value" to the Club by getting it into the Premier League or at worst the top of the Championship. 

Sure, they're not throwing money around Man City or Leicester style but they are underwriting a £5m loss this season and we have some stability and the ability to plan long term now.
  • Some might say that we most definitely are the L1 equivalent of Man C or Leicester.  Plenty of opposition fans seem to see us as simply too well-resourced compared with them, and they weren't saying that last year
  • let's not get too carried away yet, season before last Leeds had 2 more points than us from this number of games but only scraped into 2nd by a single point ahead of Millwall
    (and two points ahead of us).
  • let's not get too carried away yet, season before last Leeds had 2 more points than us from this number of games but only scraped into 2nd by a single point ahead of Millwall
    (and two points ahead of us).
    That is a scenario that has been tempering my enthusiasm, but I cannot knock where we are.

With regard to future funding, yes it may come from the owners or in a buying policy of young up and coming players their sell on value will be greater and able to fund future purchases in the same way that Jenkinson funded this year.  In reality I suspect it will be a miox of the two.
    Funnily enough I said the same thing to my son last night.
    I know dad.