Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Away day regular train travellers

Any idea when it's best to start looking for Exeter train tickets, I have never been before and promised the little man, I'll take him this season.

Comments

• Have a look on the national rail website and see the prices on there.
  • It is on FA Cup 4th Round day so may be a bit early to think about booking tickets.
  • best place is thetrainline.com or redspottedhanky.com trains from waterloo to exeter st davids and the grounds about a 10/15 mins walk

• Some of the train companies do an E-Mail alert when the cheap tickets start going on sale. Usually about 10 weeks before.
  • Try the First Great Western site.  Paddington to Exeter, regularly do the reverse journey,get in quick enough and can be as cheap as £24 return.
  • Chessewright is good for sorting out cheap train tickets.
  • Cheap from Waterloo but takes ages. Expensive from Paddington, but much quicker.
  • You could try www.megabus.com  they sometimes have train fares for a quid.
  • Unless the price difference is massive I would not recommend Waterloo , I went that way to Yeovil which was painfull enough , Exeter is another hour away on top of that .

Have you got a family rail card ? If you have you can even buy reasonably priced tickets on the day itself.

• £29.50 return via Waterloo.
    £72.00 return via Paddington
  • Sponsored links:

• waterloo then its a no brainer at that price
  • It is on FA Cup 4th Round day so may be a bit early to think about booking tickets.
    Agree with the above. Would wait and see.
  • Just told him if we don't do Exeter we'll do Chesterfield instead
  • Is Chesterfield too far to do a CLIT?
  • edited November 2011
    You should be able to do much better than the fares Clem has quoted, Steve.

One useful little trick that can sometimes save you money is to buy 2 x special price each way single tickets online (not the standard single!)........you'd be surprised at the different prices available online with different ticket agencies.

And  .......certain train times are cheaper than others. But you must travel on the train specified.

Best advice - do your homework and shop around.
  • Is Chesterfield too far to do a CLIT?
    Should't be wiwlb did one to Derby and it's not far from there
  • MCSMCS
    edited November 2011
    Is Chesterfield too far to do a CLIT?
    Chesterfield isn't that far from Derby, I think!

Edit NSS beat me to it, and Steve, Ugg boot boy was on that said CLIT.
  • Between Derby and Sheffield.
  • You should be able to do much better than the fares Clem has quoted, Steve.

One useful little trick that can sometimes save you money is to buy 2 x special price each way single tickets online (not the standard single!)........you'd be surprised at the different prices available online with different ticket agencies.

And  .......certain train times are cheaper than others. But you must travel on the train specified.

Best advice - do your homework and shop around.
    The £29.50 is two singles on specific trains.

• Exeter Central, if you are travelling from Waterloo,is closer than St Davids.If you can get to St James station Exeters ground is  practically outside the station.If memory serves me right I think more trains stop at St James station on match days.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2011
    Easy enough walk from Exeter Central (Waterloo line)........ but don't go through the ticket office.

Instead there's an exit from the other end of the platform, which takes you towards the ground, 10 minutes or so walk.
  • For people getting excited about a cup run, fifth round day is Tranmere away so a little warning there for people looking to book advance tickets like I have.  
  • I have always traveled by train when going to away games but am considering changing to getting 'Megabus' would be interested to see people's reviews and experiences of megabus.
  • I have always traveled by train when going to away games but am considering changing to getting 'Megabus' would be interested to see people's reviews and experiences of megabus.
    Or you could get National Express too?
  • Got MB to Sheffield for the Hillsborough away game and it was fine tbh. We had 2l coke bottles with some vodka poured in and it was fine, you couldnt really drink beer though. As long as you're going to a main city the journey time shouldn't be too bad and if you book miles in advance then it'll cost next to nothing. Wouldn't do journeys of more than 3hrs mind.
  • Got MB to Sheffield for the Hillsborough away game and it was fine tbh. We had 2l coke bottles with some vodka poured in and it was fine, you couldnt really drink beer though. As long as you're going to a main city the journey time shouldn't be too bad and if you book miles in advance then it'll cost next to nothing. Wouldn't do journeys of more than 3hrs mind.
    You got to Sheffield on megabus within 3 hours? how did you manage that? turbo bus or something ^^? Takes at least 4 hours when i go to york, and thats by car

You got to Sheffield on megabus within 3 hours? how did you manage that? turbo bus or something ^^? Takes at least 4 hours when i go to york, and thats by car

London to Sheffield is 3 hours or 3 1/2 hours by megabus, it's cheap but the coaches are invariably filthy
    Megabus also offer a train service, I went to Notts County last season for £2.50 return!

London to Sheffield is 3 hours or 3 1/2 hours by megabus, it's cheap but the coaches are invariably filthy
    Not a big fan of coaches but they can work out VERY cheap all for the sake of not too much longer than a train(at times)