Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

the oldest player

Seeing as I can't believe jack lester is still playing nor can I believe he is only 36

Who was the oldest addick you have seen play a competitive game

Who was the oldest player from any club you have seen play against charlton

Comments

• Gary Doherty
  • edited January 2012
    docherty looks like he could be the eldest ive ever seen how can he only be 31
  • John Barnes was probably coming upto his 90th birthday when he played for us, his pace would have suggested so anyway.
  • Dailly must be up there?
  • edited January 2012
    Sam Bartram is the oldest Charlton player I can remember, he was age 42 in 1956.
  • Teddy Sherringham played against for Colchester when he was 41 years 5 months old.
  • I was thinking dailey or bolder

Sherringham or Dublin but I am sure I must've seen an older player play against us
  • Surely Sir Stanley Matthews played against us in the late 1950's when he was well into his 40's??
  • How old was Powelly when he scored for us?
  • edited January 2012
    Chris Powell aged 38 v Coventry last home match 2008 and Stanley Matthews aged 47/48 at the Valley 1962/63 I think.
  • Sponsored links:

• Budgie Burridge must have well into his 40's when he played against us too.
  • Thanks Deadred - so I m pretty sure that no one could top the achievement of good old Stanley???
  • Wasn't the Daggers keeper last season properly old too?
  • edited January 2012
    I was 11/12 when my Dad insisted I go with him to see the great Stanley Matthews and I think it was an evening kick off. He was older than my own father at the time and I remember thinking why is he just standing around on the wing. Then when he got the ball and a couple of shimmies later having left our much younger full back for dead I realised what a talent he must have been!
  • Wasn't the Daggers keeper last season properly old too?
    Gary Roberts 41 years and 7 months old when he played us.
  • I saw Billy Bonds play for West Ham against us in the FAC back in January 1988 (lost 2-0), he was 41 years old - and retired at the end of the season - and he had an absolute stormer.

He made his debut for us in 1965!
  • docherty looks like he could be the eldest ive ever seen how can he only be 31
    I think he was in the school team with Jamie Redknapp and his dad who does something in football took care of the paperwork for a small fee, between friends of course.
  • Chris Powell aged 38 v Coventry last home match 2008
    Seemed a genuinely nice fella that Powell. What's he doing now? Probably running a pub, or trying to become a football pundit!
  • docherty looks like he could be the eldest ive ever seen how can he only be 31
    It's his birthday today: http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/45167/charlton-athletic-day-by-day#Item_84
  • Sponsored links:

• It is normally the keepers that keep going into the late 30s or early 40s. So what about Peter Shilton 47 or Steve Ogrizovic at Coventry?
  • i saw Chris Kamara last week
  • If I remember right, SCP's departure (as a player) marked the milestone in the process of middle age when I realised there was nobody older than me in the squad any more...
  • If I remember right, SCP's departure (as a player) marked the milestone in the process of middle age when I realised there was nobody older than me in the squad any more...
    Imagine being older than the players, manager and chairman!
  • Efe Sodje aged 39 probably wins it for me. How the hell was he able to keep up with Haynes at his age??
  • Kevin Poole is still on the bench most weeks for Burton Albion at 48 !
  • I remember Trevor Peake playing against us for Luton when he must have been 38/39. Most of all I remember him getting visibly annoyed by the chants from the covered end of 'old man, old man'!
  • Surely Sir Stanley Matthews played against us in the late 1950's when he was well into his 40's??
    I could be wrong but i seem to remember through the haze of time he played a competitive game when he was 52 for Stoke i believe
    I could be wrong but i seem to remember through the haze of time he played a competitive game when he was 52 for Stoke i believe
    Was 48 when he got his old Division 2 (Championship in new currency) champions winners medal with Stoke and played his last game when 50 in the Premiership! Whats more he has never been booked in his long playing career, what a man! :-)