Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Anyone been to Barcelona ?

Have booked a surprise trip for mrs half empty's birthday in August,
Any tips or must see's on a 3 day trip ?

Comments

• Gaudi's joint that there still building is something special, but in fairness you should ask MCS he's a well travelled man
  • was there in Feb, will reply tomorrow
  • Went there on a stag so don't remember too much although I do remember going up a beautiful tower of some sort overlooking city. Fantastic city as I recall.
  • Must take a stroll down Las Ramblas - A large Avenue, Great Bars and great Restaurants and squillions of people just milling about enjoying life. Great place
  • Visit the Miro gallery up on top of the hill next to the Olympic Stadium pop in there aswell. Take in the view of Barca up there. Get the cable car from the port up to the hill. Walk down to the fountain that plays 'Queen' lol.

Visit the gophic area which you cant miss you where the Pocasso musuem is.

Visit the white beautiful building that is the national art gallery.

Shopping area is a bit disappointing for your misses.

The tube is cheap.

Youve got the Nou Camp, Gaudi architecture.

Nice squares off the Las Ramblas for drinking and grub. At night watchout for the herberts who try to still your wallet. This early teenager tried it on my had him on the floor just out to kick the s*te out of him but started to cry so I let him go.

Barca is my fav city just ahead of London.
  • I thought Gaudi's cathedral was just weird, but each to their own, the old cathedral is impressive and the square around it. There is even an open air church up one of the lanes off it dedicated to Barcelona's patron saint.

Also on the weekend I was there they had kids doing mock bull fighting with bangers attached to sticks, very strange. Friendly place with stunning architecture. Their Nelson's column is not a patch on ours though.
  • edited June 2007
    Las Ramblas is fun by day but a tourist trap - and full of muggers and prostitutes after about 11pm. As pete_tong says, watch your back if you're there late on.

Anyhow, I was there four weeks ago, 3rd time there and would seriously think about moving there if life in London went tits-up for me.

My tips...
    - the amazing Sagrada Familia
    - more Gaudi in Park Guell and La Pedrera
    - the Nou Camp (will be impressive even if your other half isn't into football)
    - just spend some time on the beach, and wander around the new port
    - the old town is fabulous just to go wandering in
    - MACBA, their equivalent of Tate Modern (even if you look at it from the outside)
    - get the funicular up to Montjuic (where the Olympic stadium is)
    - the chocolate museum!
    - if you fancy an adventure, go to Tibidabo, the mountain which overlooks Barcelona containing a quaint theme park and an amazing church.
    - get a T-10 ticket, gives you 10 rides on bus/metro/tram/whatever for about half-price.

And if you like recent and decent British music, have an Estrella Damm in the Manchester Bar (there's two of them), or if you want to get leathered with fellow Brits, the Travel Bar does bar crawls.
  • [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]- if you fancy an adventure, go toTibidabo, the mountain which overlooks Barcelona

Is your name Ken Adams ???

(someone will get this, and expose me as a complete sadster)
  • For a moment, I thought Teirry Henry was using this site ;o)
  • [cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]Gaudi's joint that there still building is something special, but in fairness you should ask MCS he's a well travelled man

You'll never believe me, but i went on my uncles stag doo, and it was absolutly the best place ever. Go to see goudi which really is something to behold! Go to the marina/harbour area and have some seafood paella. LAs ramblas is amazing but i can see what the inspector is saying about being there late at night. Great place tho your Mrs will love it dude.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thanks for all the info .
    I have just picked myself up off the floor, did MCS actualy like somewhere ?
  • i loved doing the open top bus tour, started from the top of La Ramblas and you can hop off and on where you want. its a great way to see all of the city in a quick way.

and i loved the port for eating and dancing.
  • Dancing ?? Tall men can't dance !!!
  • [cite]Posted By: Glass half empty[/cite]Thanks for all the info .

its the only place i like other than belelevererederederedderere!

[cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]and i loved the port for eating and dancing.

The best place ever that port thing. Stunning place
  • [cite]Posted By: Glass half empty[/cite]

Obviously someone else his using his login.
  • I went to Barcelona a few weeks ago and loved the place. I'm not usually all that into city breaks but it really has it all. Good bar scene, nightclubs, restaurants, culture, beach, weather, football. You can't really go wrong.

After London and New York definitely the best City I've ever been to.
  • Beautiful city what I saw of it on a stag weekend. You must prepare for pickpockets though.

Get a money belt, tuck it in your trousers/whatever and use it. Don't take out anything that you don't need of importance.

They try the friendly approach plus some Argentinian tango move where they tap their leg on the insides of yours so you don't notice what the hands are up to. Hundreds of the gits everywhere any time. After 10pm looking for boozy tourists they are like vultures. Every one of a 15 man party had someone try it on.
  • Hang on, did MCS just compare Barcelona to...

Belvedere?
  • [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Belvedere?

whats that then????
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]- if you fancy an adventure, go toTibidabo, the mountain which overlooks Barcelona

Is your name Ken Adams ???

(someone will get this, and expose me as a complete sadster)

Obviously nobody else watched Friends or they would have exposed you by now :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Hang on, did MCS just compare Barcelona to...

Belvedere?

Barcelona can't be that beautiful? Does Barcelona have great tourist attractions like Franks Park or the incinerator? Shops like the infamous Wine Tavern? Or great local pubs like the Belvoir Tavern, Belvedere Hotel or the Halfway House? And once you're in Belvedere, theres a plethora of transport links to places like Thamesmead, Woolwich and nearby Erith.

Did I convince anyone?
  • Be careful you don't confuse Upper and Lower, now...
  • my old man went last week with valley addick. But it seems they are unable to describe any of the city as they found out the pick pockets grab your Davina's to distract you wile they take your belongings. I reckon they spent the whole time walking past them.
    My dad just signed on clockworkorange i do believe.