Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Country Music

edited February 2012 in General Charlton
What Country music tunes do you like?

Mine are:

Rhinestone Cowboy - Glenn Campbell
The Gambler - Kenny Rogers
Country Roads - John Denver

Comments

• Options
    Someone once gave me a copy of the NME 'Tape With No Name' which is a pretty good collection of country material. My problem is that I have very little idea of the name of the artists and songs.
    I have tracked down Roseanne Cash 'This is the way to make a broken heart', and her dad Johnny Cash 'The night Hank Williams came to town', but I wish I could find the track listings and artists names...seriously some are pretty good.
    Have you checked out our own SE London hero:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PscAZyOMGiA

• Options
    1 -I Walk The Line - Johnny Cash

http://youtu.be/KHF9itPLUo4

2- Crazy - Patsy Cline

http://youtu.be/2OVtpnpCOKM

3- Galveston - Glen Campbell

http://youtu.be/xsHUgpSxMoI
  • Options
    From my youth (well, listening to my Dad's records)........

El Paso - Marty Robbins
    Sunshine on My Shoulders - John Denver
    Canadian Pacific - George Hamitlon IV
    City of New Orleans - Arlo Guthrie

and

Glen Campbell

In the present I love Caitlin Rose and she drifts into the alternative rock /indie/ 6 music scene quite easily.
  • Options
    Being a guitarist, I like Albert Lee and Brad Paisley, amongst others.

I like the song Tempted - speaks to me, don't tell the wife!
  • Options
    so many, but here are just a few:

Rhinestone Cowboy
    By the time I get to Phoenix
    A boy named Sue
    Lady
  • Options
    Glen Campbell (saw him live back in '92)

Crystal Gayle

Joe South

and Jace Everett (sang the True Blood theme)
  • Options
    anything from the o brother where art thou sound track
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't open them on my iPhone Salad but can see the top one is Caitlin Rose.

Seen her a couple of times at the Windmill in Brixton, her band and her rock, good to see if you haven't.
  • Options
    far, far , far too many to mention, for anyone who really likes old country - this series is absolutely essential

http://www.bear-family.de/cd-dvd-series/country-western-hit-parade/?lang=1

• Options
    Not really a Country fan, But love, Wichita Lineman by Glenn Campbell.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Someone once gave me a copy of the NME 'Tape With No Name' which is a pretty good collection of country material. My problem is that I have very little idea of the name of the artists and songs.
    Try using shazam. That should give you all the details you require. (in case you don't know what it is, it's a app that records part of the song and finds the information for you).

Anything by the man in black. Been a huge fan of his since my teens.
  • Options
    Check out Merle Haggard guys and girls, absolutely my favourite. I'm afraid the titles which started this thread are more pop than country. Amongst the girls, Riba McIntyre floats my boat.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Gram Parson is my all time favourite with or without the Flying Burrito Bros

Lucinda Williams is the best out there at the moment IMHO
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Glen Campell = Legend no less...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    me and bobby mcgee - kris kristofferson
    the devil came down to georgia - charlie daniels band
    duelling banjos
  • Options
    From the current crop, Lady Antebellum is a good band; the album Paper Airplane by Alison Krauss* & Union Station is an interesting mix of styles. Jace Everett's album Red Revelations is worth a listen. It includes the track Bad Things which is the opening music to the True Blood TV series.
    * She became well known - in this country anyway - for her collaboration with Robert Plant on Raising Sand
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Many years ago I saw John Denver live at Wembley and it was one of the best live performances I have seen. I also feel he and Kris Kristfferson are very underrated as songwriters.
  • Options
    Patsy Kline, Johnny Cash and Faron Young are favourites from the old school, from the newer artists, Dwight Yoakum, The O'Kanes, K D Laing. Also enjoy bluegrass - Flatt and Scruggs in particular.
  • Options
    Hank Williams .. his life makes people like Hendrix and Bonham look like choirboys .. also he was a super song writer, a real good 'ol boy from the backend of nowhere
  • Options
    Check out Merle Haggard guys and girls, absolutely my favourite. I'm afraid the titles which started this thread are more pop than country. Amongst the girls, Riba McIntyre floats my boat.
    Reba .. she is terrific .. WHAT a voice and whoever writes her songs deserves grammy after grammy ...

• Options
    Well of the newer country stuff i'd have to say Jamey Johnson, Eric Church,Shooter Jennings and Jackson Taylor are the best im my opinion.
  • Options
    I think country music is a bit like having a fart. It's sort of enjoyable but more than one is a bit of a worry and it's not something you feel particularly comfortable with doing around other people.
  • Options
    Rotting on Remand - Billy Bragg