Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

supporting other fans in times of trouble

I met an AFC Wimbledon fan on the weekend. He and a bunch of other dons fans were going down to Brighton to support Portsmouth on Saturday. the club which are in as we all know financial meltdown. Its great that one supporter group who have been through hell can go and sympathise and help another group who are also going through similar trouble.
And it made me think of the time when a group of Charlton fans went down with a few supporters from other teams to Brighton when they were facing financial ruin.
good old steve gritt went there to help rescure them.
we at times can be a nice bunch.

Comments

• edited March 2012
    Went to Plymouth Argyle earlier in the season for their matchday inviting all clubs supporters to show solidarity.

I was the token Addick.

Fans from many different clubs made the effort in their replica shirts.
    But Brighton took a coachload - and helped create a great atmosphere.

• Did anyone help us charlton a few years back ?
    Ron Noades offered...

• Been a few of these. Was at the Notts County "could be the last ever" game a few years back. Remember buying a seat at Bury once too.
    Ron Noades offered...

..cryston athlace wasn't it?
    The Standard ran a really sympathetic piece, I seem to recall.
  • I met an AFC Wimbledon fan on the weekend. He and a bunch of other dons fans were going down to Brighton to support Portsmouth on Saturday. the club which are in as we all know financial meltdown. Its great that one supporter group who have been through hell can go and sympathise and help another group who are also going through similar trouble.
    And it made me think of the time when a group of Charlton fans went down with a few supporters from other teams to Brighton when they were facing financial ruin.
    I'm not sure why but while I had heaps of empathy for Brighton I have close to zero for Portsmouth.
  • Been a few of these. Was at the Notts County "could be the last ever" game a few years back. Remember buying a seat at Bury once too.
    I also bought a seat at Bury. Must have been some 10 years ago.
    If memory serves, the name was supposed to be inscribed on the seat.
    I wonder if they ever did that.
  • I remember being asked for a name to go on the seat and said something like "I'll never go (and i still havent been in fact) so just take my ayrton and sell it again" but they weren't keen on that for some reason so I think there's a seat there with Charlton Athletic on it - unless Bury have played Millwall since then and someone has ripped it out.

And they took a point off us a few weeks ago. That's gratitude for ya!

That Notts County game was odd with about 7000 in but all sorts of team shirts. I remember chatting to some Leicester at half time. They had had their difficulties too but I think it may have been before their administration. The oddest thing was not giving a f*** about the result. Football is pretty boring at that level if your team ain't playing!
  • I met an AFC Wimbledon fan on the weekend. He and a bunch of other dons fans were going down to Brighton to support Portsmouth on Saturday. the club which are in as we all know financial meltdown. Its great that one supporter group who have been through hell can go and sympathise and help another group who are also going through similar trouble.
    I'm not sure why but while I had heaps of empathy for Brighton I have close to zero for Portsmouth.
    Ditto. To do with them not learning their previous lesson. Once is an accident twice is stupidity.
  • Sponsored links:

• loads of clubs helped us as everybody sees us their second team even then........
    Ken bates did in the 80s when we were struggling. Agreed to bring our home game against chelsea forward as it would have been our biggest home crowd of the season.
  • i think barcelona let us off £200k of the Allan Simonsen transfer
  • I bought a seat at Lincoln City once.

They had a website where you could type your name in and it would show you where your seat was so you could go and find it if you wanted.

I went up there once and half-heartedly tried to find "my" seat - but as they'd evidently stuck the names on with a Dyno-gun most of them had fallen off. Shame really, but I know I did my bit to help keep them alive - ready for their slide out of the league!
  • Surely there is no better thing you can do for a fellow club than to lend them your ground?!
  • Cheeky Saga!

I went on a march at the Labour conference to support Brighton's campaign to get Prescott to pull his finger out and make a decision on the Falmer stadium (it worked).

Was wearing my Addicks shirt and got many smiles, thumbs ups and nods of recognition (including from Fat Boy Slim, who was there too). I think that this is one of the reasons that CAFC/BHA fans seem to feel an affinity with each other, as they were sympathetic to us getting back to the Valley and vice-versa for them getting to Falmer. There is also the fact that neither of us are too keen on the stripey Surrey Croydonites, either, I suppose....