Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pity the impoverished footballers

"More and more footballers are going bankrupt despite Premier League wages now averaging £1.47 million a year, experts have claimed...." "In 2010 the average salary of a player in the Premier League was £1.47 million, 56 times the average UK wage" aid Mark Sands, head of bankruptcy at accountancy firm RSM Tenon. (http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/15032012/58/premier-league-1-5m-year-stars-risk-bankruptcy.html)

Lee Hendrie has filed owing the taxman (ie us) £200k even though he earned £24k a week at his peak and Brad Friedel's academy went bust so he also filed for bankruptcy. Clearly these players aren't being paid enough money. I hope that those Life members who earn considerably less than £24k a week and have not filed for bankruptcy will take pity on Premiership footballers and dip into their pockets.

Comments

• Don't know anything about Lee Hendrie nor care to be honest, but Friedal got stung in a property scam.
  • And Jason Euell ?
  • Yes I think he did as well (got ripped off).

Money doesn't buy financial acumen but it does attract a lot of undesirables.
  • Don't know anything about Lee Hendrie nor care to be honest, but Friedal got stung in a property scam.
    He'll have to change is name to Brad Frugal now!
  • The best footballers at my school were feck all use at anything else, so it's not surprising that the pro's get into trouble - they need to get good advice from their school friends who sucked at footie, but attended the occasional lesson.

Apologies to all the lifers who nearly made it - I'm sure what held them back was that their brains were more evenly spread (i.e. not just in their feet).