Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Manager for Euro 2012

I am a self-confessed country over club fan and proud to be so. Put that aside and just think England please.

A thought was thrown out yesterday on BBC5Live that an interim manager, just for the Euros, would be under less pressure than a fully 3-5 Year contracted up Boss. It was argued that this worked for the English Rugby Union team in this years Six Nations.
Good thoughts I reckon. Do you know who these thoughts originated from? Glenn Hoddle.

To me he would be an, no actually the, ideal Manager for England in this years tournament.

Listen to the players who played under him for England, listen to, and read the journos who covered France 98 and more importantly the qualification. He is the most tactically astute coach we have had for years. YES!!!!! I know he let himself down with his poor, very poor man-management but he is a more mature man now, that was all 14 years ago.

He was right to leave Gazza out of that squad, so right. He was also wrong in the way he treated Beckham and Owen. Let's hope he has learnt his lessons.

You only have to listen to him on Sky to realise he reads the game better than anyone. We should not let this talent go.

Comments

• edited March 2012
    He'd get my vote, for what it's worth. It's not as if he's been away in a cave paying absolutely no interest in all things football. Football is in the mans blood and really don't think his time out of the game would be an issue on the International scene.....................

Edit: I wasn't being sarcastic by the way. just re-read it and thought it may get taken that way. Peace.................
  • Them people know what they done...
  • But what about Eileen. Would she be going to?
  • But what about Eileen. Would she be going to?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc-P8oDuS0Q
  • edited March 2012
    I think he may well be saying, come on Eilleen
  • edited March 2012
    But what about Eileen. Would she be going to?
    Yes, Eileen Dury and his strange Karma stuff. But come on, that is old hat.

He runs a very succesful accademy in Spain these days. Giving so called failed youngsters the chance to prove the clubs who released them were wrong.

Put the baggage to one side. Glen Hoddle knows football inside out, and he is English.
  • Doesn't make a difference if Gerrard, Lampard, Terry and Ferdinand go as they think they pretty much own the England football team.
  • Well I think if Hoddle got the job he'd pick his own squad. Whether that includes those players or not, it would be his squad. He left out Gazza remember.
  • He fits my criteria, he isn't Harry Redknapp.
  • Anyone know what his record as a manager is in terms of played, W/D/L? I've always been curious but no idea where to find that sort of information.
  • Sponsored links:

• However those stats don't tell the truth. For example, how many friendlies did Sven manage and how many easy qualifiers? And more to the point where did he get us in 3 major tournaments?

Hoddle got us through a tough qualifcation programme for France '98. If Beckham had not have been sent off and Campbells goal stood, who knows? And we won The Tournoi in 1997.
  • Hoddle would do for me, however, the FA blazers will simply not bring him back. Uncle Woy Hodgson would be a good choice but I have a terrible feeling that Stuart Pearce will get the gig .. the poor man's Terry Connor
  • Hoddle for me - he runs Killer close for my all time favourite player !! He managed some great England performances and as was said - if Campbells goal had not been robbed off us who knows
  • not a big fan of going back to what you had BUT on this ocassion I'd be happy if he took charge for the Euros as he is tactically adept. Remember in the qualifying group that 0-0 out in Italy, one of the most pleasing England results I can remember coupled with the way we went about it.

Hoddle in.
  • He certainly wont be managing the Paralympic team...
  • should never have been sacked. Yes from me all day long and not just for the euros.
  • He might have been right to leave Gascoigne out the 1998 WC side, but he was foolish not to take Matt Le Tissier, the best penalty taker of his generation, I think he missed only one penalty as a professional. With KO matches and the chances of a game being settled on penalties Matt Le Tissier would be as nailed on a dead cert to take and score as you like. Instead he was left at home and we ended up going out losing on penalties.

Unfortunately Glenn Hoddle has spent too long away from the professional game as a coach and manager to inspire a team. Look at Liverpool and Dalglish, a year ago he was supposedly the saviour for Liverpool now they might finish lower than Roy Hodgson's WBA. And his nonsense in claiming that his only mistake was not to take Eileen Drewery suggests a bit of arrogance if not stupidity.
  • I would have Neil Warnock.
  • Sponsored links:

• Would love to see Hoddle in charge for the Euros
  • Shearer says Hoddle.
  • I would have Neil Warnock.
    I can see where you're coming from (if you are being serious that is) but our players wouldn't accept him. Remember Lineker's relationship with Taylor?

Not to use Hoddle now would be a serious waste of an exceptional talent.

• Glenn Hoddle, Sven or Roy Hodgson are all good candidates as they all have experience of tournament football, something that Capello lacked before S Africa and Redknapp still lacks. Some players don't go to competitions not because they are no good but because they are bad travellers - anyone who has been on a school or work trip know that some people become nutters when they leave home and are rude/grumpy/drunk all the time. England has made mistakes many times over training facilities - generally, the hotel is so far out of the way the players get bored quickly and start fighting. I vaguely knew some journalists who travelled with Hoddle, they said the players found him boring, but that was probably a hangover from the Venables days - all the press love Terry Venables in the same way they like REdknapp, because he makes their job easy.
  • Sorry but how is Sven a good candidate for goodness sake? He proved time and again that he has no Plan B and no inspirational skills. Woy Hodgson is just another Graham Taylor and would never have the profesional respect of the players.
  • I think hoddle would be a very good choice, got the experience, got excellent tactical knowledge, would just be a bit concerned the press wouldn't like him and put too much pressure on him/the team...

Where as harry has the full support of the media...
  • Sorry but how is Sven a good candidate for goodness sake? He proved time and again that he has no Plan B and no inspirational skills. Woy Hodgson is just another Graham Taylor and would never have the profesional respect of the players.
    Plan A wasn't all that much either - play 4-4-2, stick Gerrard and Lampard in the centre together and hope you can sneak a goal and hang-on.

I'd go for a good tactician, not necessarily a good manager. This is about tournaments and means winning two of the group games at least and drawing the other and then hoping for a decent draw.

• Hoddle would certainly join Redknapp in the "completely ignorant scumbag" catergory, if that's what the FA are going for
  • I'd go for a good tactician, not necessarily a good manager. This is about tournaments and means winning two of the group games at least and drawing the other and then hoping for a decent draw.

So Hoddle too? Not often we agree BFR!
  • The longer this drags on though the more and more likely it looks like Pearce will be in charge for Euros. I believe the deadline for the squad to be announced is 12 days after the FA cup final. If the FA are waiting for Redknapp will he really have time to know which squad he would want to take?