Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alexandra Palace

Never been, where is it and is it a good venue ?

Seeing Keane there tonight, first band's concert i have been to since Oasis 10yrs ago....

Comments

• Terrible venue, nightmare to get to and get back from.
  • Keane, i hate keane (they are good live tho if ya like em). I will give my reasons for this hatred.
    They dont use Guitars at all, only keyboard and drums (WTF is that about)! And the singer looks as tho he should be fat, but he's not! All in all very annoying.

ENjoy the gig afka! Hope i aint put you off!
  • [cite] AFKA Bartram:[/cite]Never been, where is it and is it a good venue ?

Seeing Keane there tonight, first band's concert i have been to since Oasis 10yrs ago....

to be honest its not the best. how are you getting there?

the beer tables are quite hard to get served, until the bands come on, then its usually a bit easier, everything is a bit temporary. the queues for the ladies loos at the back at the right as you look away from the stage is always horrific, takes ages. so prepare to miss a bit of the band. the actual building is spectacular, and you feel like you're walking into a indoor garden when you first go in with the big plants

i find the most frustrating thing about it is seeing shooters hill across the other side of london and knowing that it will take you about 3 hours to get back that way!!

word of advice if you come out with the masses and are going by tube, walk out of the palace, and walk the wrong way away from the tube station (which is down the hill to the left) and walk down the hill which goes to the right but bends round left, and round a corner and find the bus stop before the one outside, the bus begins with a W i think and you will get on it before the masses try to pile on it and all hell breaks out. the bus journey takes about 10 mins but defo well worth it. the queues to get in the tube station are normally quite bad and they often shut the doors due to over crowding.
  • LOL ... was there for an Audley fight, or dance whichever way you look at it. It's North London so watch out for the dogs on String.

I'm at the Roundhouse for James Brown ....

Get Down ...
  • after reading all that i bet afka cant wait for his night out!
  • indeed !!

i'm not even a fan.

cheers Suzi.
  • bedshaped...chune
  • [cite] AFKA Bartram:[/cite]indeed !!

i'm not even a fan.

cheers Suzi.

sorry didn't mean to put a dampner on it

i've always enjoyed the gigs i've been to there, strokes, franz ferdinand and some others but always come out saying "it was good but remind me never to book a gig at ali pali again"
    till the next time a good band plays there, and we seem to think the procedure may have improved a bit!

if you go the way i've said, if that makes any sense, when you get to wood green go left as well instead of the bus stop immediately outside, as everyone goes there and its always rammed. there is also a cab office going up the hill, costs a fiver. but the bus does take about 5 mins. don't get off till you're slap bang outside, otherwise its a fair wlk up the hill. the bus is w3
  • My tip - especially if you're getting there early-ish.

*taps nose*

Mainline train from Moorgate (last train at 7.35, though!) or Highbury and Islington (First Capital Connect/ WAGN/ GN Electrics) to Alexandra Palace, and a W3 bus from outside the station. Later in the evening the mainline trains leave from Kings Cross rather than Moorgate/ Highbury. There's also a boozer opposite Ally Pally station which ain't too bad.

Going back the same W3 bus will take you back to Finsbury Park which is handy for the Victoria line as well as the slow old Piccadilly line.
  • my tip is when the shuttle bus turns up after the gig it's free so just walk up to the centre doors and press the emergency open button , works a treat every time and means you'll get on the first bus out .

But a better tip smudge would be to avoid both the venue and the band .
  • Sponsored links:

• Near Muswell Hill mate

Would be a nightmare from south to get to and from. It does have it's own train station i believe.

my tip would be get a black cab guv
  • well i naturally ignored all your good advice !!

walked from the tube, much firther than the five minutes guv we were told !

thought the venue itself was really good, getting a drink was no problem and the sound quality and his voice were absolute top drawer.

They just aren't a concert band.
  • [cite] AFKA Bartram:[/cite]They just aren't a concert band.

Its coz they dont use any form of guitar, its an absolute disgrace.
  • It's because they are so very boring :-)
  • [cite] InspectorSands:[/cite]It's because they are so very boring :-)

What Guitars, or Keane?
  • i heard them at chelmsford and they did sound very good,but i just couldn't be arsed to get over and see them.
  • [cite] 04_MCS:[/cite]
    [cite] InspectorSands:[/cite]It's because they are so very boring :-)

What Guitars, or Keane?

Keane. Guitars are good.
  • Yeah guitars rock dood.
  • i'm all for adding a bit of originality to a band. any band that can make it in a different way, ie, using different instruments, additional instruments (sax, flute, organ etc etc) are welcomed in my book.

guitar or no guitar i find their music very bland and 'virgin radio'. besides, my mum likes them. (till he went to the priory) says it all. I don't like the way they've been marketed. and how every song sounds the same, and the lead singer is very sweaty posh bloke. its like pretend rock and roll.

afka> glad i spent time on the ali pali website verifying details for you re: transport on friday! what a waste of time!!
  • [cite] suzisausage:[/cite]and the lead singer is very sweaty posh bloke. its like pretend rock and roll.

Bit of a James Blunt in my opinion...
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite] Medders:[/cite]
    [cite] suzisausage:[/cite]and the lead singer is very sweaty posh bloke. its like pretend rock and roll.

Bit of a James Blunt in my opinion...

yes, although he's a high pitched, sleazy, smarmy, womanising sweaty bloke. i cant verify if he's posh, but he is everything else listed :-)
  • glad to know that in music, that list are more important than err... having a fantastic voice ?
  • its the whole package surely.
  • [cite] suzisausage:[/cite]its the whole package surely.

really ?

if you ruled out, sleazy, sweaty, smarmy and womanising then surely that will be half of rock and roll wiped out ?
  • if i cant watch somone perform live then i woudln't go and see them, surely its more about the music than the fact someone can sing?

i don't like james blunts high pitched voice and i don't like keanes bland non descript style of music, despite the fact he can blast out a song in tune, i have no intention of listening to him sing one of his own songs. same as I don't like richard ashcrofts droney voice

the fact that they may be sweaty or posh or something else is an add on to the fact that i dont like their music.
  • [cite] suzisausage:[/cite]the fact that they may be sweaty or posh or something else is an add on to the fact that i dont like their music.

i've never understood the anti-posh movement in music terms. judging on peoples backgrounds is wrong in so many other forms of life yet perfectly acceptable in music. Ie. its a kudos in some genre's for someone to have a criminal background including violence and drugs, yet the kid that got sent private school is looked down upon, even when he falls fail of drugs ?
  • i guess i'm just hitting on the fact he is a bit posh as a negative added the fact i don't like their music, i wouldn't say i hate all posh people. the strokes are very posh from new york and come from very well to do familes, however, they're sound is great so it doesn't matter! i'm being very hypocritical i know!

i guess the same as anyone, you pick up on something and call them whatever for whatever reason, be it, they're fat, short, wear glasses, lanky, smelly, bad hair, long hair, bald, etc etc.