Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Coventry and Portsmouth

Both been relegated to league 1,
Anyone remeber there pain and how you felt when we got relegated ?

Comments

• I still remember losing at home to Coventry the season we went down. It was a night game and I can still see Nicky Weaver doing a belly flop across his goal trying to stop a 35 yard floated free kick.
  • Think Coventry may have a difficult and long time at this level ... as for Pompey, they could go further
  • Remember it well, threw away a lead that could have delayed the inevitable - depressing atmosphere, depressing day.
  • It makes me feel so ill thinking about it ,
    And feel so sorry for the pompey And coventry fans

Greg halford tweets : @GregHalford15: To all the wolves bell ends Portsmouth will always e a bigger club along with sheff utd sheff wed and charlton. #League1

• edited April 2012
    Is that the bloke out of Judas Priest?

I do so love to see footballers showing a bit of class...I think Wednesday should definitely put in a bid for him...
  • edited April 2012
    Portsmouth could easily do what another south coast club beginning with P have done.

By the way Argyle have made themselves safe today, lets hope it's the beginning of the way back for them.

Coventry doomed to struggle in L1, and with that millstone of an arena around their necks may well have similar and bigger financial problems to come.

Very sad.

But, you know....

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!
  • edited April 2012
    Coventry doomed to struggle in L1, and with that millstone of an arena around their necks may well have similar and bigger financial problems to come.

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

1 million a year rent apparently.
  • I really feel sorry for both of them. League 1 is a terrible league. hope we never return in my life time!
  • I still remember losing at home to Coventry the season we went down. It was a night game and I can still see Nicky Weaver doing a belly flop across his goal trying to stop a 35 yard floated free kick.
    To make it worse, i was mascot on my birthday on that night!
  • Shame about Coventry going down as I would have gone to the Ricoh. Feel their pain though and the season we went down I pretty much knew we were done for at christmas but the shock of it happening was still horrible. They were dark days and the atmosphere around us in the stands was the worst I have known it. This season and today has made up for all those years and thats why it feels so good to go up as champions.
  • Sponsored links:

To make it worse, i was mascot on my birthday on that night!
    Did your parents hate you? ;-)

• Pompey are a basket case of a football club and with the lack of money available to them in League One I fear they might finally go pop. Not sure about Coventrys finances but if they are in biggish debt then it will get worse before it gets better.
  • Both clubs have the stench of decline about them, both have massive financial issues, and until they are resolved, both are more likely to exit L1 downwards than upwards.

Indeed, next season's L1 looks weaker than this season's, especially if both Sheffield Clubs go up.

• Never had much love for Coventry as during my first season as a Charlton supporter back in 1966/67 Coventry were on their way to becoming champions of the old Division Two and in the game at The Valley I remember George Curtis carrying out what I shall politely describe as a rather 'hard' tackle on, I think, Alan Campbell (though I could be mistaken) which resulted in the Charlton chap ending up in the tunnel in the West Stand. Curtis should have been done for GBH. Sorry for their fans etc. but I'd like to think it's their come-uppance.
  • edited April 2012

Never had much love for Coventry as during my first season as a Charlton supporter back in 1966/67 Coventry were on their way to becoming champions of the old Division Two and in the game at The Valley I remember George Curtis carrying out what I shall politely describe as a rather 'hard' tackle on, I think, Alan Campbell (though I could be mistaken) which resulted in the Charlton chap ending up in the tunnel in the West Stand. Curtis should have been done for GBH. Sorry for their fans etc. but I'd like to think it's their come-uppance.

Just the name 'George Curtis' makes my blood run cold. A shaven headed ex miner at Snowdon colliery and harder than a pick axe head. I was at that game and recall Curtis diving head first into a goal post .. Curtis got up and trotted away, the post needed first aid. That was the all conquering Jimmy Hill outfit.
  • Come-uppance for a bad tackle from one player that happened 45 years ago? Bit harsh.

Wouldn't wish freefall down League One on any club.
  • What exactly is the extent of Coventrys financial plight ?
  • Huddersfield may stand a chance of finally getting promoted next year!

Coventry will be okay but I fear for Portsmouth.

• Come-uppance for a bad tackle from one player that happened 45 years ago? Bit harsh.

Wouldn't wish freefall down League One on any club.
    I should have put a smiley at the end of it, it was meant mainly in jest. However, I've forgotten most, if not all, moments from games that long ago but not that one. Curtis was a beast.

• Sponsored links:

• Cov's problem is that they own nothing. The council & the Higgs Trust own the Ricoh, which is the main problem. Higgs baled the club out after they sold Highfield Rd without having everything in place to finish the Ricoh.

The stadium/arena makes a good profit now but not to the benefit of the club. No one is sure who the owners (Sisu) are and the previous owner was a nightmare who no-one could work with!

Can see both them and Pompey suffering for a good while to come. Feel for both as the fans are generally a good bunch. Seems like club owners are like your family...you just can't pick em!!!
  • I have always felt that Coventry are a nothing team. They just float around, mostly unnoticed by everybody other than those in Coventry.
    Most of all, I always think of those horrible smurking fans laughing at us after they scored the second goal in the cup a few years ago!
  • I think it was Matt Tees that Curtis knocked into the stand.
  • I remember that chest high tackle..... at least he was sent off.....or was that Sam Allardyce?
  • I think it was Matt Tees that Curtis knocked into the stand.
    I reckon you're probably right. It was 46 years ago after all so my memory is a little hazy. Will never forget what a shocking tackle it was though.

• I have disliked Coventry for a long time. I remember their fans smug arrogance when they were in the top flight for decades. It really irked me, maybe irrationally but they really annoyed me.
    And now I laugh, ha ha, as we pass them by.

• "Can we play you every week..."
  • I have always felt that Coventry are a nothing team. They just float around, mostly unnoticed by everybody other than those in Coventry.
    Lol Laughed at this because I absolutely agree with you
  • Seems like a long time ago Andy Hunt got his first goal and we later beat them 3 2 in the cup.
  • edited April 2012
    I have always felt that Coventry are a nothing team. They just float around, mostly unnoticed by everybody other than those in Coventry.
    Lol Laughed at this because I absolutely agree with you
    A local club with a history of punching above their weight in the top tier for quite a few years until fairly recently. Sound familiar? Maybe we should all be a little more generous.