Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wolves Go For Stale

Stale Solbakken (I kid you not) has been appointed manager of Wolverhampton Wanderers. He is not a character from Star Wars who is well past his sell by date, Mr Solbakken is a Norwegian former footballer and was recently sacked by Cologne.
Good luck Wolves fans, you're going to need it.

Comments

• Options
    Very strange appointment.
  • Options
    No doubt the newspaper headline writers are already rubbing their hands with that name.
  • Options
    No doubt the newspaper headline writers are already rubbing their hands with that name.
    my thoughts exactly !
  • Options
    Stale also means horse piss.
  • Options
    Wolves following the Charlton model next stop League 1, all a board the Stal express
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Ståle Solbakken has been very successful in Denmark, being manager for FC Copenhagen. 5 Danish titles in 6 years and two trips to the Champions League groupstage as well as getting through to the knockout stage only to get beaten 2-0 by Chelsea on aggregate. There is more, but the thing I'm trying to say is that Ståle is highly regarded in Denmark and his homecountry, as he was close to getting the coaching job for the Norwegian national team before signing with Cologne. I don't know much about his trip to Germany, but just wanted to share what I know about him. Never really saw a move like this coming - it's really hard to predict how it's going to go.
  • Options
    Why do English football fans always say someone is a 'strange appointment' simply because they are not currently manageing in the English leagues?
    Its the same as Sky claiming there was not top-flight of English football before the premiership started.

This do happen in football outside of our little relm.
  • Options
    Wolves have a decent squad for a Championship promotion bid, even after losing the likes of Jarvis and Fletcher, so it's an attractive job. I wonder what Curbishley thinks...
  • Options
    Great he's got a good rep in Denmark, but strange that he's taken an average Bundesliga team to the brink of relegation. Gotta be hard to do that with Podolski's goals, especially one who's defence seemed to have been ok'enough the last few seasons.

It's not one that'll have much patience emenating from the stands, and considering Wolves have a predominately British squad.... Still I suppose Norwegians are often more well versed, and certainly more intelligent on the English game than many ex English pros.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Great he's got a good rep in Denmark, but strange that he's taken an average Bundesliga team to the brink of relegation. Gotta be hard to do that with Podolski's goals, especially one who's defence seemed to have been ok'enough the last few seasons.

It's not one that'll have much patience emenating from the stands, and considering Wolves have a predominately British squad.... Still I suppose Norwegians are often more well versed, and certainly more intelligent on the English game than many ex English pros.
    Eurosport Germany's Felix Mattis on Solbakken:

The problems in Cologne were not just Stale Solbakken: he was just the easiest one to fire. The whole situation there was really hard this season. They needed to find a new chairman, they had a general manager (Volker Finke) who is a bit egocentric and does not allow other opinions than his and they had a team which was all focused on one person: Lukas Podolski. They all hid behind Podolski.

So in my opinion Solbakken is not the one to blame for Cologne's disappointment. He has a good sense of humour. For example, when Cologne lost one of his last games as coach, his mobile phone rang during the press conference. He looked at it and said: "It's my wife. She wants to ask if I still have a job tomorrow."

Tactically he tries to let the opponent attack only on the wings and likes to close up through the middle. The problem in Cologne was that his defence had problems in the centre when defending headers. Normally he does not play with a high pressing game but tries to keep his lines close together.
    The things Felix Mattis states is his personal view, but it's true it's just not all on Solbakken - I don't doubt his talent, but things just doesn't always turn out as people hope, and there can be so many different factors.

Link: here
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    they had a general manager (Volker Finke) who is a bit egocentric and does not allow other opinions than his

He did a great job at SC Freiburg though, Koeln have long been a basket case of a club.