Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Vikings are Coming

With Stale fresh in the job at Wolves and Ole (not the Spanish one) Gunnar mooted for the role at Villa, the Norwegians are starting to create a presence in the FL. What's the situation regarding work permits as Norway is not in the EEU as they are keen to preserve their huge oil income and spend it on themselves ?
What is it about English coaches that generally they have a problem getting, keeping and being successful in the top football jobs ?. Are we too reticent as a people ?, are young men brought up to be too polite and self effacing to be good as bosses ?. The Scots, Portugese, Spanish and now, potentially the Norwegians have dominated the top Premier jobs over the past ten years, why not the English ?

Comments

• are young men brought up to be too polite and self effacing to be good as bosses ?
    I'll assume that's a joke.

• Although Norway is not part of EU. they do have a right to work here, not sure excatly why
  • are young men brought up to be too polite and self effacing to be good as bosses ?

There is a big difference between bullshit and bluster and real confidence and the ability to manage other people.
  • I thought Liverpool was in Norway
  • Norway is part of the EEA which is basically them and Iceland and, I think, lichenstien (sp) which means they have similar trading laws.

Love the way Lincs tries to turn the appointment of one Norwegian manager and the rumour of another into a debate on English people being too reticent to be managers. Just too weird.
  • Although Norway is not part of EU. they do have a right to work here, not sure excatly why
    They give us a tree at Christmas !
  • Norway is part of the EEA which is basically them and Iceland and, I think, lichenstien (sp) which means they have similar trading laws.

Love the way Lincs tries to turn the appointment of one Norwegian manager and the rumour of another into a debate on English people being too reticent to be managers. Just too weird.
    get back to your knitting
  • they also got shafted in WW2 by the Swedes who let the Nazis invade via their country probably as a price to pay for Swedish neutrality.
  • As long as they bring their women with them I don't mind.
  • they also got shafted in WW2 by the Swedes who let the Nazis invade via their country probably as a price to pay for Swedish neutrality.
    I have always had doubts about Swedish 'neutrality' as Sweden provided most of the iron ore and timber required by Nazi Germany .. however, the fascist tendencies or otherwise of the Swedes does not answer the question as to why there is a dearth of top class English managers
  • Sponsored links:

There is a big difference between bullshit and bluster and real confidence and the ability to manage other people.
    I get that. I'm just wondering where all these young men who are brought up to be polite and self effacing are. They must be in Lincolnshire, because there aren't any round here.
  • Ole has had one season, with a club who traditionally are one of the big fish in a league weaker than the one we just won. So it's nothing to do with with lack of top class managers, Ole isn't one (yet), he's just a relatively big name, hence the links. Feel sorry for the villa fans, board obviously want a "name" instead of a proven manager. They might get lucky, but I can't see it myself.
  • Dont know about you guys, but my observation is that most English managers come through as sounding, and being, uneducated.
    Then look at the foreigners here, Wenger,Stale,Martinez,Moyes(sic) (i'll leave Mancini out of this debate) come over as educated,clever,astute and far-away more communicable than most English managers (cue Martin Allen) - however, our own CP seems to fall into the first category.

I get that. I'm just wondering where all these young men who are brought up to be polite and self effacing are. They must be in Lincolnshire, because there aren't any round here.
    Lincolnshire youngsters, at least around where I live, do (in my experience) tend to be more polite and considerate than their London counterparts. I will not attempt to consider the reasons for that. Perhaps in my original post 'polite' should be replaced by 'self conscious' .. whatever, many young Englishmen for all their loudness and apparant worldliness are just no good at managing and persuading other people. Perhaps it is a PC, no winners allowed culture which is both intimidating and leads to a lack of competitive spirit. I have mentioned this topic before and been 'laughed out of court', but there is something amiss and not just in football management. How many major corporations once managed by Englishmen are now bossed by foreigners ?
  • Dont know about you guys, but my observation is that most English managers come through as sounding, and being, uneducated.
    Then look at the foreigners here, Wenger,Stale,Martinez,Moyes(sic) (i'll leave Mancini out of this debate) come over as educated,clever,astute and far-away more communicable than most English managers (cue Martin Allen) - however, our own CP seems to fall into the first category.
    agreed

Lincolnshire youngsters, at least around where I live, do (in my experience) tend to be more polite and considerate than their London counterparts. I will not attempt to consider the reasons for that. Perhaps in my original post 'polite' should be replaced by 'self conscious' .. whatever, many young Englishmen for all their loudness and apparant worldliness are just no good at managing and persuading other people. Perhaps it is a PC, no winners allowed culture which is both intimidating and leads to a lack of competitive spirit. I have mentioned this topic before and been 'laughed out of court', but there is something amiss and not just in football management. How many major corporations once managed by Englishmen are now bossed by foreigners ?
    Just a theory and please don't kill me, but I wonder if football is more middle class in some countries. This is in relation to self belief/confidence/leadership etc - I am not saying one social class is 'better' than another.
  • Admittedly UK rather than English but you can hardly say that o'Neil sounds stupid -far from it.Equally i don't think that either Pardew or Dowie for example sound like idiots but i just don't think that they are /were particularly good managers .Houllier as a foreign example sounds clever enough and has obviously impressed many people here and in France in his time but nevertheless i wouldn't trust him to guard a pile of leaves let alone manage .

Just a theory and please don't kill me, but I wonder if football is more middle class in some countries. This is in relation to self belief/confidence/leadership etc - I am not saying one social class is 'better' than another.
    I agree with your theory. England is a country where being 'working class' and 'not giving a f**k' are in many communities considered to be the way to go. We will never be f***ing slaves and our 'ouse is our Castle. I remember a quote attributed by Derek Possee, the ex Millwaller, to his then Chairman Micky Purser. Possee was about to be interviewed for BBC TV .. 'Good luck son' said Purser 'and don't forget to drop yer aitches '.