Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Robert Green.

2»

Comments

• i dont get how this means we ever had a ceiling of £15k pw
  • Seems fine to me, about market rate in the Prem, especially for experience
  • Seems fine to me too. He can probably get it. Even if he doesn't, he's entitled to ask considering he has been one of England's top keepers for the past few years.
    Neither do I now, if only my maths teacher had cared more.....:)
  • Decent keeper but still error prone, when West Ham went down last year he was as culpable as many. Not sure he's better than any regular Premiership Number 1.

Got a feeling he may end up at QPR though.
  • That summer in 2006 went

Isaksson - Green - panic! - Carson

Like most of our dealings that summer.
    Neither do I now, if only my maths teacher had cared more.....:)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7424134.stm

Our wage bill was over £34m around 2005 to 2007. I don't see how it's possible our top wage was only £15k a week. At £20k a week 20-25 players still isn't £34m a year...
  • Decent keeper but still error prone, when West Ham went down last year he was as culpable as many. Not sure he's better than any regular Premiership Number 1.

QPR, agreed. Kenny is an limited keeper, Green would be better.

• Green is a decent keeper and like everyone else is entitled to ask for what salary he wants. Whether he gets it or not is another matter. Don't ask .. don't want; ask ... don't get
  • Green is a decent keeper and like everyone else is entitled to ask for what salary he wants. Whether he gets it or not is another matter. Don't ask .. don't want; ask ... don't get
    Exactly, our own CL fave Rob Elliot tried the same with us last summer and got told where to go by Sir Chris.
  • Sponsored links:

You saw West Ham? Taking a guess you went nowhere near them apart from catching the odd glimpse on TV. He was runner up to Parker's player of the year. You might say a goalie in a shit team is going to stand out for good or bad, but his save percentage was better than around half the other first pick goalies and he faced more shots per match than anyone bar Ben Foster. So you can absolutely say he was not culpable, and had a damn good season.

West Ham went down because Avram Grant was a lobomotised loon who when he had to work hard at knitting an OK team together. Signing Ben Haim and Piquionne, who are utter shite, and then signing Barrera and Winston Reid as another of your two acquisitions might have something to do with it. Maybe selling Behrami who stopped a lot of shots from around the box, was a bit more of a factor?

Green is an excellent prem keeper, maybe not top four but certainly good enough for the mid tier teams. Signing a Keeper for a couple of mill from abroad and then paying him 10 - 25 grand a week, would meet two to three years of Green's contract: Brad Guzan is a fine example of churn with no return. Hardly difficult in the accountant school to calculate, that if you go for a medium-name European experienced but questionable keeper like Heurelho Gomes, you're risking a much larger outlay with a smaller chance for success.

• Good luck to him, I'd do exactly the same thing in his position.