Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summary of Spreadbetting Comp (And Congratulations)

Congratulations to Bill Stumps on winning a signed Charlton shirt, not only winning our Euro 2012 Spread betting competition, but absolutely smashing it !

107 eager Addicks entered our competition, but just 33 of them ended with a positive ‘cash’ balance. 1 entry ended flat (Paddy Powell), while a staggering 73 ended up out of pocket. Amazingly, not one set of identical selections.

If actual money was involved, AFKA’s rainy day pot (hopefully not for another roof!) would have been overflowing like Jordan in a AA bra. £174,050 i would have paid out, but would have taken in £532,900, leaving Bank of AFKA with a tidy profit of £358,850. And that’s before i started tamping with interest rates :-)

So why did most people do so badly ?

Basically, blame the clog-loving Dutch who clogged-up their group. 52 punters backed the Dutch, with 25 of those using their maximum bets. Those £200 bets ended up costing people £7,600 alone. Russia and Poland equally were well backed (Russia 21 buys, 4 sells, Poland 26 buys, 1 sell), and also panned and emptied pockets.

Despite being favourites for the tournament, only 27 punters backed Spain (just 6 for the maximum £200), while 15 people took the punt on selling them. It proved a costly mistake (-9,000 if your 200 bet No.1 in South London, Redcarter and Tangoflash).

Curbey had the greatest tale of woe however. The Spread Betting equivalent of Mr Bean, he sold Italy, and bought Netherlands, Russia and Poland. Next he’ll be telling us he has a consignment of beta max videos to flog ! Hard lines Curbey, stay away from the bookies if i was you !

Bill Stumps winning formula was:

£200 buy Italy (9,600)
£150 buy Spain (6,450)
£100 buy Czech Rep (700)
£50 sell Germany (-50)

Total £16,700

The perfect bet ??

Buy Italy (£200) = £9,600
Buy Spain (£150) = £6,450
Sell Netherlands (£100) = £3,600
Buy Portugal (£50) = £1,250

Total £20,900

Easy in hindsight !!

Thanks to all of you who participated, and special thanks to Red_in_SE8 who kept all the updates going while i was away. For a full table of entries / results, see the bottom of this page
forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/48632/2012-euro-championship-spread-competition-pdf-of-all-bets-on-page-2/p3

Bill Stumps, send me an inbox to sort out your prize.

See you all in two years time for the World Cup !

Comments

• it looked interesting but no matter how many times I read it and re-read it I couldn't (and still can't) for the life of me understand it.....otherwise I'd have had a go!
  • Easy for me to say, but I thought this was a great competition, well run and well supported, and it really added to the Euro 2012 experience. I'm looking forward to the next one in 2014 but don't expect to get so lucky again! Thanks AFKA and Red for all the hard work you put in. The Charlton shirt will have pride of place in my newly decorated hallway!
  • AFKA

i will inbox you with my bank details a bit later if that's ok.

you owe me £7,550.
  • it looked interesting but no matter how many times I read it and re-read it I couldn't (and still can't) for the life of me understand it.....otherwise I'd have had a go!
    That's how I felt ;-(
    That's how I felt ;-(
  • Looking at the results baffled me. The rules would probably explode my two brain cells.
  • Happy with 3rd at my first attempt at spread-betting!
  • Well done Bill!! I think I've just about worked this thing out, bring on the next tourney!
    This
    And me
  • Sponsored links:

Agreed
  • Glad it wasn't just me!