Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Championship 2012/13 Preview: Nottingham Forest

Club: Nottingham Forest

Last season position: 19th in Championship

Recent History:

The manager’s position at Forest has been tough to retain over recent seasons. After 2 years failing to get them promoted, Billy Davies was sacked and replaced by ex England manager Steve McClaren. He only lasted a matter of months however, with early results going against the side. In October ’11 he was replaced by Steve Cotterill, but the new owners have now installed Sean O’Driscoll as manager going into 2012-13 season. Forest were rocked by the death of Nigel Doughty in February of this year. The owner and previous chairman passed away after 13 years working with the club. Last month, the Al-Hasawi family of Kuwait purchased the club, and are the owners to take the club into the new season.

Manager profile:

O’Driscoll made his name managing Doncaster Rovers. After getting them promoted to the Championship in 2007-08 (his first full season), he built them into a squad that have settled into a comfortable mid-table side. In 2008-09 they finished 14th, and they have remained in the division ever since. Poor results meant that O’Driscoll departed in September 2011. In May 2012 Crawley Town appointed O’Driscoll, but three months later, and without managing a game left in July to take over at Forest.

Summer Transfer Activity:

In
Adlene Guedioura ..... Wolves ..... Undis
Danny Collins ..... Stoke ...... Undis
Greg Halford .... Portsmouth .... Free
Dan Harding ..... Southampton .... Undis
Simon Gillett ... Doncaster .... Free
Daniel Ayala …. Norwich …. Season-long Loan

Out
Luke Chambers ..... Notts Forest ..... Free
Garath McCleary ..... Reading ..... Free
Paul Anderson ..... Bristol C ..... Released
Marlon Harewood ..... ..... Released
Joel Lynch ..... Huddersfield ..... Free

Expected line-up:

Camp
Halford, Harding/Ayala, Collins, Moloney
McGugan, Majewski, Cohen, Guedioura
Blackstock, Derbyshire

Expected Tactics / Formation:

4-4-2.
Camp remains a vital part of the team in goal. Fans favourite Wes Morgan is no longer there, so it will be interesting to see how their defence copes in their first full season without him. They have signed Harding, Collins and Halford at the back who are experienced at championship level. Particularly at home they struggled to score goals last season, and so pressure will be on their forwards to do better this year.

What the fans are saying:

The fans general opinion is that the squad is still too thin, and that 6 or 7 signings are still required (sound familiar?). They do believe that the new owners are aware of the needs of the club, and they feel that the manager will get the backing (something that financially Davies was publically always denied from previous owners).

Main Forum: http://www.forestforum.co.uk

Odds: Promotion 7/2, Relegation 10/1

Verdict: Top half, but won’t make play-offs. 9th.

Compiled by: @Wallin58

How do you see Forest doing this season ??

Comments

• Don't rate Derbyshire and not convinced by the back four. Should stay up but not much more than that.
  • Racing Post fancy them to get relegated, whilst i personally think they will be midtable.
  • I agree they will just fall short of the play offs.
  • A few things to add to the preview

1. Gunter also left for Reading
    2. My brother seems to think Reid would start most games, he's probably going to be captain next year

I also think they have a good chance of promotion with the amount of money the new owners are putting into the club and finally a decent manager
  • edited August 2012
    I fancy them to be in the play offs at least. A proud club with a proud history and with a thoughtful and experienced manager. Ayala especially is a class act in central defence. They'll be hard to beat. Roll on early september
  • Evens with Leeds according to P Power. I'd back Leeds
  • It says up top that O'Driscoll got Donny promoted to the championship and they have remained there ever since. They are in league 1?
  • O'Driscoll is a decent manager. Squad doesn't look like its capable of a promotion challenge but will stay up comfortably although bottom half.
  • Reid is their best player, isn't he? He seemed to be their key man whenever I saw them play, he had a blinder when they beat the Spanners at home.
  • Just signed Simon Cox from West Brom. Good signing that!
  • Sponsored links:

• F##k the football, is Hooters still open ?
  • A friend and life long Addick supporter living in Nottingham sent me this E mail:

"I sat and watch Forest’s game v Bolton on Friday with 4 Forest Season ticket holders, so I have gleaned some insights which maybe you can pass on to SCP:

Forest v susceptible to high crosses coming from the wing; they don’t do heading and central defence very rocky.
    Andy Reid still very smart – and slim! Got MOM on Friday and scored a well-worked goal.
    Danger man is Simon Cox – ex-WBA. Strong on the ball and can ride a tackle. Blackstock lightweight.
    McGugan, the other scorer, is lazy, and did nothing – apart from a great goal – on the night.
    Forest look set for a mid-table season, but will get better, so this could be a good time to play them."

Needless to say we have our tickets for next Saturday; should be a good game = COYR's