Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Carragher

I've just heard that Jamie Carragher has told McLaren that he is not changing his mind about playing for England - I wondered what others think of his decision.

For my part I've become increasingly disinterested in the England team - it seems to be an exclusive club for players from certain (big?) clubs with other players added on a peripheral basis to fill out the squad with next to no chance of playing unless there is a crisis as there is now in defence.

Some players have been in the squad consistently despite a succession of poor performances while others don't get a sniff! Or if they do they get played out of position and then get criticised for not making a significant contribution!

I have to admit I don't like McLaren - he seems such a smug git and extremely unlikeable so my immediate emotion is that I would tell him to get stuffed as well but is that the right response? Or should the call of the National team override personal issues?

I think my final decision would be the same as Carragher and Scholes and say there is no going back!

Comments

• I think you'll generally find that 99% of players are generally proud to play for their country.

I think you'll also find that 99% would rather be at home with their kids etc than being lugged all round the world just to make up the numbers on the off chance that someone gets injured.
  • a players career is relatively short so in my opinion he should go where and when asked and be proud to be selected....stuff him if thats his decision I say
  • edited August 2007
    I think you'll also find that 99% would rather be at home with their kids etc than being lugged all round the world just to make up the numbers on the off chance that someone gets injured.

I remember when Dean Kiely packed it in with RoI he said something along those lines!
  • [cite]Posted By: sporaddick[/cite]I've just heard that Jamie Carragher has told McLaren that he is not changing his mind about playing for England - I wondered what others think of his decision.

For my part I've become increasingly disinterested in the England team - it seems to be an exclusive club for players from certain (big?) clubs with other players added on a peripheral basis to fill out the squad with next to no chance of playing unless there is a crisis as there is now in defence.

Some players have been in the squad consistently despite a succession of poor performances while others don't get a sniff! Or if they do they get played out of position and then get criticised for not making a significant contribution!

I have to admit I don't like McLaren - he seems such a smug git and extremely unlikeable so my immediate emotion is that I would tell him to get stuffed as well but is that the right response? Or should the call of the National team override personal issues?

I think my final decision would be the same as Carragher and Scholes and say there is no going back!

The situations are a bit different though. Scholes was an automatic pick who chose to give up international football to prolong his club career. Carragher is a whining scouse git who thou his toys out of the pram and went whinging to the papers because McLaren wouldn't pick him.

I thought it was shocking that McLaren even asked him to come back. I'd rather see us pick someone from the championship, that is proud to play for their country than see that muppet in an England shirt again.
  • I cannot understand for the life of me why players would 'retire' from international duty. If they can play at the highest club level then they can still play at international level. For me, playing for my country would be the ultimate accolade. I think David Beckham has it right, he's said that as long as he is able to play football he will open himself up for selection for the national team.
  • I dunno you know. Me personally, I'd be proud to play for my country anytime anywhere. However I can sympathise with Carragher somewhat as for me he's been probably the most consistent defender over the last 2 seasons in the league and in Europe. Yet he's had next to no opportunity to play in that position for his country even when Terry or Rio have been injured/suspended. That must be quite demoralising for him when players like Ledley King and Dawson seem to be above him in the selection order. If i were him i'd feel under valued and I also can see why he's had enough. But like i said I personally would always be available for my country...am now if Steve is short with Rooney injured!
  • But would you bang the goals in? If so then you get my vote to play up front!

I see where you're coming from. But to say he's had enough is just a bit sulky for my liking. He has to understand that we have a wealth of centre backs at the moment and its not as if he never got a game. He was regularly used in defence (more so than King), but couldn't hold down a starting place for whatever reason. I just think that he's taken the baby way out and announced international retirement.