Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Championship 2012/13 Preview: Birmingham City

Club: Birmingham City

Last season’s position: 4th (lost in play-offs to Blackpool)

Recent history:

It's same again for the Blues. Last year they started with a brand new manager and they do the same again this year. New gaffer Lee Clark is likely to be given more rope than the reviled Alex McLeish but expectation at St Andrews are high after recent spells in the Premierships. The financial situation at the Club is still unresolved and there is a lack of clarity of what exactly is happening. Only at City.

Manager profile:

Lee Clark has pulled off the clever trick of being sacked by a league 1 club but still getting a gig at a top of the Championship. The grumpy, flag kicking, offensive T-shirt wearing Geordie will be under pressure from the start to deliver winning football. Unbeaten runs of draws will not impress. However, supporters so far seem to see his appointment as a positive one.

Summer transfer activity:

In
Peter Lovendkrants ..... Newcastle ..... Free
David Lucas ..... Rochdale ..... Free
Hayden Mullins ..... Portsmouth ..... Free
Darren Ambrose ..... Crystal Palace ..... Undis
Ravel Morrison....West Ham....Loan

Out
Ben Foster ..... West Brom ..... Free
Jordon Mutch ..... Cardiff ..... Undis

Expected line-up:

Doyle,
Carr ,Davies, Caldwell, Murphy
Burke, Mullins, Ambrose, Redmond
King,Lovenkrands

Expected Tactics/Formation

Clark normally favours an attacking line up with bizarre selections such as dropping Jordan Rhodes for the play-off final so who knows. The purchase of Darren Ambrose to play alongside or behind Marlon King will give Charlton fans a wealth of targets to booooooooooo.

What are the fans saying?

The play-offs are seen as realistic but financial worries and potential player sales bring a note of caution. However, most feel that if they get a good start to the season they could be right up there.

Verdict:

Will at minimum be in the top 4 to 10 club battling for a play-off place. Goals and attacking play should very much be on offer at St Andrews this season; Chris Burke scored 14 and made 19 assists last season from a midfield which has been bolstered by the arrival of the free-scoring Ambrose. Up front, King and Lovenkrands could prove to be the most effective pairing in the league.

Odds: 18/1 to win the league; 9/1 to go down

Compiled by: Henry Irving

Comments

• This division is SO hard to predict. So many good clubs and so few obviously weak ones. I don't think that Clark will get the best from these players, though they have started the season with a bang. Twist my arm ..... uiuugghhhhhh ... play offs again .. just
  • Know what you mean lincs. Personally I think Brum are hugely underpriced.

Butland, Curtis Davies, Mullins, Ambrose, Morrison, King, Lovendkrants is a hell of a spine for this level.
  • Know what you mean lincs. Personally I think Brum are hugely underpriced.

Butland, Curtis Davies, Mullins, Ambrose, Morrison, King, Lovendkrants is a hell of a spine for this level.

I totally agree AFKA, Saturday will tell us a lot .. it all kicks off tonight with the Redbirds v The Terriers. This I think and hope will be a humdinger of a Championship season.
  • Just miss out on play offs
  • After they saved themselves with a last minute equaliser against us and then lost midweek against Sheff Wed, I can see these guys struggling to keep the pace this year. Lee Clark to be sacked before the season ends.