Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Attacking midfield

Personally I feel this is an area that needs strengthening, Danny Hollands is a good player but is more defensive, and Stephens is sitting to deep, he tried playing jacko there And it didn't work. I felt at the hull game bwp and Yann got very little service which is ultimately why we didn't win ? Any players anyone would like in this position ?

Comments

• I'd like Iniesta.
  • Yeah , I think he could do a job if given a chance, I thought he was more of a tricky left winger though ?
  • Bexley Dan.
  • Andy Reid, Murphy, Parker... Find one like that and we would be sorted...
  • Certainly need to get someone in.
  • Quinn from Sheffield Utd would be good, but I'd be happy to pick up a decent prem player who doesn't make the 25 on loan
  • edited August 2012
    I personally think a defensive minded midfield player is more urgent.
  • well callum that really is just stupid isnt it
  • The thing is Danny hollands would be a quality defensive midfielder if he kept his position, but at the moment he is having to compensate for Stephens going forward, Danny Hollands + an attacking midfielder would be a great combo. When Hollands was playing with Hughes he seemed to play a lot better
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd rather leave the creative part of this to the wingers as I'm all for combative CMs.

We will need to battle this year so I think energy and bite are required - I don't think Hollands & Stephens have gone a great deal wrong so far.

You've got Hughes to come in for Hollands once fully fit, and Pritchard could move inside for Stephens if need be.

We seem to have lightweight passers - Bover, Kerkar etc, or more physical guys like Semedo, Kish etc

Ideally someone who could tackle and pass would be amazing in terms of a signing but in this league they'll be like good dust !!

Oscars not getting a game at Chelsea .....
    :o)))

• How about moving JJ inside for Stephens ?
  • Yeah , then I'd like to see Kerkar out wide
  • Would like to see Quinn come in but I fear that will mean Solly leaving.
  • well callum that really is just stupid isnt it

Not particularly. Stephens can pick a pass from anywhere on the pitch and Hollands isn't too bad going forward either. Pritchard has the energy and stamina to get around the pitch but I'm not sure he's physical enough to impose himself on the game like a true CM needs to. Even Wagstaff and Green can play in behind the striker in that attacking role.

Once Hollands is out for a game or two, I'm not sure how we'd fill that defensive hole. Hughes once fit perhaps, but I'd not be comfortable with him having a string of games at this level.
  • I like him but,we're yet too see whether Hollands has got the minerals for this league.Hope he has but the Jurys out.
    I think its one of the reasons we have not shown much attacking prowess in wide areas and the likes of Pritchard are playing.
    Hollands is not a Parker type and if we get stretched in wide areas I think he'd struggle at this moment in time.
  • I think we need a new Scott Parker rather than a new Claus Jensen/Andy Reid. Someone with that bit more pace, energy and aggression, can drive forward with the ball.

Not that I'd complain if we signed a player of Jensen or Reid's quality.
  • mascot88 said:

Andy Reid, Murphy, Parker... Find one like that and we would be sorted...

Mascot, go wash out that dirty mouth of yours and say 100 hail marys.............................
  • Same situation as the Fuller deal. If we dont move anyone out we won't bring anyone in. Unless of course, a premier club gives us a loan where we make no wage contribution.
  • To be honest I think a loan signing might help us out most in this department. Obviously I don't want to go back to those dark days when we were fielding 4-5 loanees but one player to fill in the missing jigsaw piece can't hurt.

Josh McEachran would have been a brilliant signing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Lansbury would be good
  • Loan market will be alot harder this season. 18 yr olds who show promise and are sent out for playing experience will probably not be good enough to play consistantly at Championship level. Those few exceptions will be highly sought after by the teams around us......................................
  • I've not seen us play in the flesh this season, but during the run in last season I thought Hollands and Pritchard was our best midfield pairing. DH can sit deeper and Pritch can use his energy and drive to get between the boxes and get beyond our strikers - look at his part in BWP's goal vs Leicester for a perfect example of what he can bring to the side doing that. Stephens has some silky skills, but I wasn't totally sold on him last season. I'd rather we concentrate on keeping the energy levels up in centre midfield and concentrate on brining flair into our game from wide areas, probably from right midfield either by giving Green a try or recruiting a new player.

Very difficult to find a baller who will have the physic and energy required to play centre mid in a 4-4-2 in the Championship.
  • Guys we have outplayed sides for 1st 45 of every match this year. Are the midfield great 1st half and poor 2nd? No. When the defence drop deep to protect our lead we invite teams on and there is too much space to police. Push up and we are sorted.
  • Guys we have outplayed sides for 1st 45 of every match this year. Are the midfield great 1st half and poor 2nd? No. When the defence drop deep to protect our lead we invite teams on and there is too much space to police. Push up and we are sorted.

Is that you in your profile picture ?

you are a genius

• WSS said:

I'd like Iniesta.

Seconding this one
  • Akos Buzsaky would be great but his wages would be a problem.
  • Should have tried to get Matt Spring back,before he went to Wycombe.
  • Derek1952 said:

Should have tried to get Matt Spring back,before he went to Wycombe.

The Comedy Store still have vacancies :-)