Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• I think he is the aspiration of all paralympians

Compete in both what a fantastic acceptance
  • edited August 2012
    But Bolt isn't disabled so how can you compare ?

You don't stop Bolt competing in the Olympics simply because he's far better than anyone else in his field, Pistorious is a disabled athlete so it is right that he competes in the competition which is the pinnacle of a disabled athletes career. The fact that he's dominant in his field shouldn't block his participation, in fact I can't think of a single reason that it would.
  • edited August 2012
    Last time I looked Bolt had both legs.

If the lad has developed to a stage where he can compete against able bodied athletes, that's a magnificent achievement, but equally that should never exclude him from competing against his 'peers'. It's for them to catch him up not for him to be banned from competing.
  • edited August 2012
  • edited August 2012

yes but my point is how can he be classed as disabled and eligible for paralympics when he's classed as able bodied and deemed ok for the olympics. i have no problem with whichever he chooses to participate it but if he's just allowed in the olympics because he's good enough surely we should do that with every event and disband the paralympics all together? go by the mantra of if you're good enough you're in

When was he classed as "able bodied"?

• edited August 2012
  • Mate, what are you going on about. No where has anyone (other than you) ever considered Oscar Pistorious an "able bodied" athlete. He competed in the Olympics as he met the required qualification times for his event which is the only requirement, not whether you're "able bodied" or not.

Pistorious isn't the only athlete to have competed in both games, perhaps if you had done a little research before posting this ill informed dribble you might have realised this.
  • edited August 2012
  • yes but my point is how can he be classed as disabled and eligible for paralympics when he's classed as able bodied and deemed ok for the olympics. i have no problem with whichever he chooses to participate it but if he's just allowed in the olympics because he's good enough surely we should do that with every event and disband the paralympics all together? go by the mantra of if you're good enough you're in

He still remains a Paralympian whether he is competing in the Paralympics or the Olympics. He must have met the qualifying standards for both to be there so I personally don't see it as a problem.
  • Because most don't meet the required times for the Paralympics - Pistorious is the best 400m Paralympian but finished last in the Olympic 400m semi final.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2012
  • They do (http://www.wired.com/playbook/2012/08/11-disabled-olympians/).

There have also been athletes who's disability doesn't really "impair" their participation in a sport (there was a partially deaf female American shooter i believe) who only compete in the Olympics.
  • I think the guy is amazing, do those things hurt?
  • razil said:

I think the guy is amazing, do those things hurt?

I would imagine if he caught you in the knackers with them it would
  • What happened to this thread?