Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Jessica Ennis Stand

http://www.sufc.co.uk/news/article/20120831-stand-for-our-jess-343225.aspx

Sheffield United have renamed the Bramall Lane End the Jessica Ennis Stand.

Bit weird?!? I know she's a fan and all but still.

Comments

• Well, she has me standing proud everytime i see a picture of her......................
  • I'll be looking forward to getting inside Jessica Ennis next time I visit Bramall Lane then...........
  • Is a bit weird. Those sorts of things go to people who uniquely represent the club or the town.

Jessica Ennis is not 'famously' from Sheffield. She is known purely for being a Great Britain icon.
  • Maybe we should have a Karl Howman stand!
  • id be a bit pissed off if i was a Blade. Very gimmicky and a poor attempt at publicity.

I could understand naming the athletic stadium after her but what she got to do with the football club?
  • cafctom said:

Is a bit weird. Those sorts of things go to people who uniquely represent the club or the town.

Jessica Ennis is not 'famously' from Sheffield. She is known purely for being a Great Britain icon.

Agree regarding club

Disagree with "Jessica Ennis is not 'famously' from Sheffield". Whatever you may think about Sheffield, Jess loves & strongly identifies with Sheffield, & Sheffield loves & strongly identifies with Jess. Most people (in the UK) know Jess is from Sheffield.

Suspect United have lost the sponsor for that stand & can't get a replacement to pay a decent amount, and have decided to name the stand after to Jess to get a bit of feel good factor at Bramall Lane.
  • cafctom said:

Is a bit weird. Those sorts of things go to people who uniquely represent the club or the town.

Agree regarding club

Disagree with "Jessica Ennis is not 'famously' from Sheffield". Whatever you may think about Sheffield, Jess loves & strongly identifies with Sheffield, & Sheffield loves & strongly identifies with Jess. Most people (in the UK) know Jess is from Sheffield.

Suspect United have lost the sponsor for that stand & can't get a replacement to pay a decent amount, and have decided to name the stand after to Jess to get a bit of feel good factor at Bramall Lane.
    Most people might 'know' Jessica is from Sheffield, but I don't think her identity among the general public or even football fans is closely tied to the city of Sheffield. She has been and always will be known as the 'GB' poster girl. Those from Sheffield, like yourself, will understandably perceive it from the Sheffield perspective.

I'm sure there must be some legendary United players from over the years who could have had the stand named after them.

Gary Speed, though he wasn't there for a great deal of time, could have been fitting.
  • I dont think of jessica ennis, then immediately think of Sheffield United
  • cafctom said:

cafctom said:

Most people might 'know' Jessica is from Sheffield.

Which is it?
    cafctom said:

Those from Sheffield, like yourself, will understandably perceive it from the Sheffield perspective.

Not from Sheffield, simply live in the area. So, no don't perceive things from a Sheffield perspective.
    cafctom said:

I'm sure there must be some legendary United players from over the years who could have had the stand named after them.

Tony Currie
  • Must wind the owls up. Will mean only half of Sheffield are proud of her now
  • Sponsored links:

• It will pale into insignificance when Wednesday rename the kop "The Miguel Llera stand".
  • lol

Same here, I think Sheff Utd second as well. You can guess what I think of first........
  • I can't wait until we fill her end
  • cafctom said:

cafctom said:

Agree regarding club

Most people might 'know' Jessica is from Sheffield, but I don't think her identity among the general public or even football fans is closely tied to the city of Sheffield. She has been and always will be known as the 'GB' poster girl. Those from Sheffield, like yourself, will understandably perceive it from the Sheffield perspective.

Gary Speed, though he wasn't there for a great deal of time, could have been fitting.
    It's completely irrelevant whether "most people" know she is from Sheffield. Most people couldn't give two sh*ts about the name of a Sheff Utd stand. How many people across the country do you reckon have heard of Jimmy Seed?

The stand is named for the benefit of Sheff Utd fans, and based on this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15288088@N03/7632140800/

I imagine most United fans will know she's a proud Sheffield girl. And as you rightly point out, she was the GB golden girl of the Olympics so they'll probably be buzzing off her at the minute as one of theirs making the country proud. So as Sheffred says, probably them trying to get some of the feel good factor to give them a desperately needed pickup.

Having said that, I wouldn't be happy if Charlton had done the same. Stand naming rights should be reserved to long-time club heroes, not dished out on a whim.
  • How many can you get in Jessica ennis
  • edited August 2012
    Can't wait for the Jim Davidson stand at CAFC.
  • I think that it is quite a small end and I would think 2 or 3 max would fit in her end

Nor me. I think "Where did I leave the kleenex?"
  • Ever since Chad the Lad was banged up the Blades have lost the plot. Perhaps the renaming is an attempt to show that despite all that has happened, the club is a harbour of gentle feminism
  • Sponsored links:

• I heard she's a Wednesday fan.
  • I heard she's a Wednesday fan.

Now that would be funny.

• Be great if they do similar to the Sir Tom Finney stand and we have to sit on her face!
  • She's a great woman but very odd to name a stand after her. That's invariably done where the individual has given outstanding service to the club ( eg. Jimmy Seed, Bobby Moore, Billy Wright, Cloughie etc ). I suspect it is, in part, an attempt by the board to lift morale and deflect attention away from United's current plight. With Quinn now gone, Harry Maguire is just about their only remaining saleable asset.

They need to get after the Happy Hammers for that 10 million quid.
  • redman said:

Must wind the owls up. Will mean only half of Sheffield are proud of her now

Yep. Already heard one wendy has been put right off her and he was a very keen admirer before. How fickle some are!
  • Be great if they do similar to the Sir Tom Finney stand and we have to sit on her face!

I read in 4-4-2 or something similar that there is one seat in the Tom Finney stand that looks (from a distance) like it's Tom's bogey. You didn't end up in that one last year did you bollox?

• That is stupid, if I was a Sheffield united fan I would be livid.
  • Ever since Chad the Lad was banged up the Blades have lost the plot. Perhaps the renaming is an attempt to show that despite all that has happened, the club is a harbour of gentle feminism

Yeah the motive behind this was the first thing I thought of as well. It's got `attempt at image repair's' stamped all over it.

Tbh I'm quite surprised she even agreed to allow them to use her name and be associated with the club and it's fans after their collective disgusting behaviour last season regarding the rapist but there you go....maybe she sits in the `Justice For Ched' camp.

• I think that Sheff Utd will regret this when the furore over the Olympics has died down.

They should have named it after the Paraguayan javelin thrower anyway ;-
  • Typical knee-jerk reaction I think. In 30 years time the fans will be asking "Jessica who?"