Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Even me and Spankie can't defend refs

this weekend.

Shocking.

Styles - bad bad decision for the penalty - but on the other hand who bloody cares cos the scousers have been getting htese for years. Plus looked like he booked Essien twice but covered it up saying he booked Terry.

Lino at Fulham - absolutely disgraceful he was looking straight at it and had no excuse whatsoever.

Riley - Missed 2 stonewall pens for Wigan

I'm sure there were others

Comments

• There's always others!

Can't say I saw much Prem this weekend, just fifteen minutes of the end of Man U v Man City, and all of the drama around "Oh my God, Oh my God, Man U have dropped 7 points... Can you believe it!" was enough to make me realise I can do without it.
  • I did see the Fulham goal, which was shocking...
  • has styles spoken about/explained his decisions?
  • Add to that the Ref in our Game at Mottingham yesterday who also had a shocker !
  • do referee's apologise and hold their hands up? just never noticed before.
  • edited August 2007
    Styles isn't even his real surname, it's his stage name apparently. Ego the size of a house I tells ya.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ledge Knows[/cite]Styles - bad bad decision for the penalty - but on the other hand who bloody cares cos the scousers have been getting htese for years. Plus looked like he booked Essien twice but covered it up saying he booked Terry.

In that case then ledge, he booked terry twice, as he clearly showed terry the yellow in the first place, then 'pointed' the yellow to essian, then pointed to terry saying it was terrys booking when he already clearly booked terry! Shocking reffing, shocking, inept!

What a mess!
  • Also he booked Terry for dissent when Ben Haim showed more but got away with it because he had already been booked
  • Clearly it wasn't a penalty, but if you look at the angle he was standing at and watch it at real time speed it's perhaps more understandable to see why he gave it.

Still a bad decision, but I don't suppose he was thinking, "I know, I fancy grabbing all of the headlines here - I'll give a penalty for a laugh".

Jeez, what am I doing semi-defending refs?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2007
    Having run the line a few times for my daughter's team it's a harder job than it looks.

That said these guys turn up expecting to do the job and prepared for it whereas someone like me just helps out as a favour!
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Add to that the Ref in our Game at Mottingham yesterday who also had a shocker !

he was bad wasn't he best mate number 2.....he spoke to me like I was a 3 year old.....discraceful!!
  • Styles has been dropped for next week.

thats ok then
  • Not down to the Championship I hope! ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Clearly it wasn't a penalty, but if you look at the angle he was standing at and watch it at real time speed it's perhaps more understandable to see why he gave it.

Still a bad decision, but I don't suppose he was thinking, "I know, I fancy grabbing all of the headlines here - I'll give a penalty for a laugh".

Jeez, what am I doing semi-defending refs?

My initial reaction was that it was a pen to be honest.

However, once you see it from a different angle, it's obvious that it wasn't.
  • The Chelsea pen wasnt a pen, but the Chelea pen against us 2 years ago wasnt a pen, the Liverpool pen against Sheef Utd last year wasnt a pen, you could go on and on ...

I was listening to Alan Green on the radio when Styles showed Essien 2 yellow cards!!!!! He went on and on, and on and on .. and on.

When I saw it on the TV, I thought that Styles was looking away from Essien and indicated what way the free kick was, but had the yellow card (held sidways) in his hand. That was unfortunate ... but you re dealing with a complete bunch of idiots in the Prem ...
  • Have to admit Syles' performance was erratic and his handling of the booking with Essien and Terry was very messy and confused all. The penalty decision is a split second decision and he only gets to see it once and must have seen something to give a penalty. I don't believe for one second there's an alter ego. He's clearly gone through too much to get to where he is now to give a dodgy decision like that.
    As regards the assistant referee I've met him twice doing pre-season seminars. He came across as a sanctimonuous and self promoting idiot. I know other referees who've gone out with him who really don't like him so not overly bothered about him to be honest.
  • Problem as I see it is that these refs are breaking through to top-flight football too late. 15 years ago I played locally around Bromley and Steve Bennett reffed a lot of our games, and he was excellent, games were always enjoyable and you knew he would go places, trouble is it took him another 10 years to get to the highest level. maybe they need to pick out potential refs at a younger age and groom them for the top, bit like with players.
  • Having just read Jeff Winters book, that seems to be his opinion. Ref's are held back for too long and get a pretty raw deal.

They are only proffesional once they reach the gracious heights of the premiershit and even then are only given season long contracts yet are expected to jack in their career or put it on hold until the FA is bored with them.

Thatr said the match fee's they get aren't bad at all and like I always say sometimes no ref's, no football.

Last time I played on a Sunday the grief the referee got was horrendous and the poor sod was doing the home side a favour by covering for the guy who dropped out. No wonder less people are inclined to take up reffing. Hence even less choice when it comes to picking one's to go up to the football league
  • Styles

styles apology
  • Sponsored links:

• Turns out Styles company paved Abramovich's driveway - you can't make that up surely and the PL and FA say there is no conflict of interest.

Classic.

Now I know us refs are impartial but this can't be right.. I remember reffing the BHF tournament for Oakster a few years ago and reffed a charlton game and one of my mates was being a right pain in the ass and in truth I should have sent the rascal off but didn't.
  • I agree ledge how can Styles get away with that - no conflict of interest my backside. The press brought this story up but they should be banging on about it until Style is demoted to the Football League.
  • [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite] the Liverpool pen against Sheef Utd last year wasnt a pen
    I'm pretty sure that was Rob Styles as well